fender deluxe reverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

3kings89

fender deluxe reverb

Post by 3kings89 »

Hi, I have a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (reissue) and I wanted to know if I can mod it to sound more like a Dumble? I'm pretty sure that he based the Dumble amps off a Fender Deluxe but with more volume. By the way is this true? Thanks
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
hipbluescat

Re: fender deluxe reverb

Post by hipbluescat »

Hello

Build it from scratch instead. It would work out better.

Regards
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

3kings89 wrote:I'm pretty sure that he based the Dumble amps off a Fender Deluxe but with more volume. By the way is this true? Thanks
I read that as well but it was in an interview with David Lindley.

The mod job on a 65 RI Deluxe will not be easy. The amp is fully PCB so it will be difficult to cascade the preamps for the overdrive sound. It will definitely not be a simple rewiring job. It could be done by gutting the amp and rebuilding it with an eyelet or turret board and use the original transformers. But then you could almost as well build from scratch since that would not be much more involvement. You could also use better transformers which would allow you to choose 6V6 or 6L6. I am not sure whether the RI transformers could safely take 6L6s.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

3kings89 wrote: I'm pretty sure that he based the Dumble amps off a Fender Deluxe but with more volume. By the way is this true? Thanks
Bassman.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

skyboltone wrote:
3kings89 wrote: I'm pretty sure that he based the Dumble amps off a Fender Deluxe but with more volume. By the way is this true? Thanks
Bassman.
Right, that was probably the first mod platform HAD started with (either that or a Showman). But I remember in the Lindley interview Lindley commenting: "We were taking an old Deluxe to Howard and said "we want this but bigger and louder". And Howard got closer to it than anybody." This may be where 3kings89 had the Deluxe relationship from.

Another comment from an interview with Lowell George (not related to a Deluxe though): "It's like a Fender made right. If you want a screaming Twin sound but don't want it to be too loud you can do it." This is exactly how I felt about it after I completed my Bassman D-style mod.

Those were the first comments that got me interested into HAD's work, long before I knew about Larry Carlton and Rick de Vito (Like a Rock).