Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Kitarist

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by Kitarist »

Tweedle Dee is quite interesting but doesnt deliver any much new tones than a stock 5e3 but it does sound a little bit meatier (improved bass response) and has faster attack response and sounds like its a bit on steroids :D

Here are some videos you can compare ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k38fxVQiaI Tweedle Dee Strat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkh4lF-Pm9A Tweed 5E3 Strat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3WwFW4lGZc Tweedle Dee Les Paul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNuBwG69gi8 Tweed 5E3 Les Paul

If anyone else is interested here are gutshot pics to compare the layout and gutshot of both amps:

Tweed 5E3

Tweedle Dee

Enjoy :)
Music has to breathe and sweat. You have to play it live

Owner of CeriatoneForum.Com
drew

Post by drew »

Gee, Nik must be getting fat and lazy. In the old days, it would have taken two weeks for something to go from ampgarage thread to Ceriatone production model, not two years.
LedZepp007

Post by LedZepp007 »

Does anyone know the power rating on the 10k trimmer? I have one, but it is only rated at 1/8W and I'm guessing that isn't going to cut it.

Thanks
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

That Nik amp sounds like mud. My build used a 5/1959 OPT sounds like a tweed Bassman.

D Deluxe 002.JPG
D Deluxe 001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

mhartman wrote: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:28 pm
Charlie Wilson wrote:Hello,
All of the orange drop caps were the 716 series.
CW
Thanks Charlie!
Thanks Charlie, yes.

In addition, the 5n tone cap seems to be a red Astron and the 500 pF is refered to as SM (Siver Mica ?) on the schematic, but :

- what about the type of the 2n2 cap for the "feedback" of V2b plate ?

(just out of curiosity)

EDIT : since it is not an OD, I'll tend to think that it is a polyester, like CDE.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Well, six years later and I think a made a mistake with regards to one of the component values in the Tweedle Dee. :oops: After talking to Jelle a while ago and staring at my own photos I now believe that the grid leak resistor on the PI is a 10 meg rather than a 1 meg.
CW
Mark

Post by Mark »

Do you think you will notice the difference between 1M and 10M?

1M might be the better option?

Let us know if you can tell the difference between the two values?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:38 am Well, six years later and I think a made a mistake with regards to one of the component values in the Tweedle Dee. :oops: After talking to Jelle a while ago and staring at my own photos I now believe that the grid leak resistor on the PI is a 10 meg rather than a 1 meg.
CW
what effect will that have Charlie from an electrical and tone point of view?

I could of course try it but interested in the technical/theory side as well.

M
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:38 am ...I now believe that the grid leak resistor on the PI is a 10 meg rather than a 1 meg.
That's what I see too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

There's probably going to be a run on 10 Meg resistors... Someone will have to try it to see what tonal effect it has, but don't think there will be much impact. I'm guessing that the large value is to help isolate the feedback signal from the bias and cathode resistors.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:21 pm There's probably going to be a run on 10 Meg resistors... Someone will have to try it to see what tonal effect it has, but don't think there will be much impact. I'm guessing that the large value is to help isolate the feedback signal from the bias and cathode resistors.
I'm surprised that Dumble didn't knock off more bottom end with this amp. There's way to much when using it with a different cabinet/speaker. I've got 0.004uf in place of the 0.022uf caps and I think that makes for a well balanced amp tonally now. I don't suppose the 10M grid leak in conjunction with the cap would have any impact on reducing the low end?

I'll see if I can find a 10M and drop it in.

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:53 pmI don't suppose the 10M grid leak in conjunction with the cap would have any impact on reducing the low end?
No, shouldn't affect that at all.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

martin manning wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:21 pm There's probably going to be a run on 10 Meg resistors... Someone will have to try it to see what tonal effect it has, but don't think there will be much impact. I'm guessing that the large value is to help isolate the feedback signal from the bias and cathode resistors.
Yeah that's what Jelle's theory was to decouple the grid from the cathode resistors. I imagine the signal is going hit the grid a bit harder. I don't have a Tweedle Dee build right now so I was hoping someone would try the 10 meg and report back. I am gearing up for a Tweedle Dee build and was looking at the photos when I realized I had made a mistake and I am pretty certain that is a 10 meg.
CW
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:25 pm
Yeah that's what Jelle's theory was to decouple the grid from the cathode resistors. I imagine the signal is going hit the grid a bit harder. I don't have a Tweedle Dee build right now so I was hoping someone would try the 10 meg and report back. I am gearing up for a Tweedle Dee build and was looking at the photos when I realized I had made a mistake and I am pretty certain that is a 10 meg.
CW
Charlie,

Just done the mod. It makes a difference :) the breakup/OD is smoother now, more gainy OD I'd say. Not a huge difference but noticeable and preferable, a good tone with my filtertron tele I tested it with.

I tested with the amp in regular tweed mode and on the bright input, everything at 12 O 'clock so it should be as the standard Tweedle dee (my amp is modded with variable FNB and re-voiced standard channel).

:mrgreen:

M
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks for your feedback Marcus.

The test is to put your guitar though a looper and switch between the two settings. That will provide the greatest evidence of the difference in timbre. It has been my findings that most people have a poor memory of timbre.

Personally, I find if I’ve owned the piece of equipment for quite a while then I’ll know it. Otherwise, I won’t be so sure. I video everything these days. It has really surprised me. Changes that I thought were barely noticeable were quite apparent when playing back a recording.

My two cents worth.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott