Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by martin manning »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmDumble doubled the Fender value, I would assume, to get closer to unity gain.
I don't know why the plate and cathode loads are larger than usual. LNFB is another odd feature on a cathodyne.
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmIf you add up the resistance of the cathode you get 103.7K and the plate is 110k. So it is a bit unequal and I guess you suggest the 100k to get the plate and cathode resistance closer in resistance.
A 100k on †he plate will bring it closer to being balanced for sure. In my simulation a 100k with the 10k trimmer centered results in essentially equal output voltages. The LNFB affects the balance, so the load resistances have to be adjusted to compensate for that.
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmMy source material (Tales from the Tone Lounge) also states that a split load invertor is a terrible way to try and balance the signal since the actual impedance characteristics of the plate and cathode are different. So is a balanced output even possible with Fender's or Dumble's circuit or is the trimmer(and LNFB) possibly a way of smoothing things out so that is is more pleasing sonically?
Both outputs see the same 220k load, so there is no issue there. With the right load resistances balanced outputs can be achieved. Blencowe suggests that a guitar amp might actually want to be a little unbalanced to add some second harmonic. Who knows, maybe the trimmer is there to fine tune the degree of unbalance?
Delmar Evans

Post by Delmar Evans »

Charlie

I will get that shot of the measurement tomorrow and send it over
Delmar
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

martin manning wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 am
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmDumble doubled the Fender value, I would assume, to get closer to unity gain.
I don't know why the plate and cathode loads are larger than usual. LNFB is another odd feature on a cathodyne.
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmIf you add up the resistance of the cathode you get 103.7K and the plate is 110k. So it is a bit unequal and I guess you suggest the 100k to get the plate and cathode resistance closer in resistance.
A 100k on †he plate will bring it closer to being balanced for sure. In my simulation a 100k with the 10k trimmer centered results in essentially equal output voltages. The LNFB affects the balance, so the load resistances have to be adjusted to compensate for that.
Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pmMy source material (Tales from the Tone Lounge) also states that a split load invertor is a terrible way to try and balance the signal since the actual impedance characteristics of the plate and cathode are different. So is a balanced output even possible with Fender's or Dumble's circuit or is the trimmer(and LNFB) possibly a way of smoothing things out so that is is more pleasing sonically?
Both outputs see the same 220k load, so there is no issue there. With the right load resistances balanced outputs can be achieved. Blencowe suggests that a guitar amp might actually want to be a little unbalanced to add some second harmonic. Who knows, maybe the trimmer is there to fine tune the degree of unbalance?
Delmar, please read the above. I believe this is as much as we know about the trimmer and what its purpose may be. I am going to suggest a change in strategy based on something you stated early in one of your posts(or maybe your clip). I'm pretty sure you said you don't hear any difference when adjusting the trimmer. If that is the case, then all this measuring and so on may not accomplish anything, at least not sonically. What I would do is get a guitar with a nice clear top end like a Strat, set the amp so that it is still on the clean side, and play around with the trimmer and see if you hear any difference. If you don't then your done. If you do hear a difference then set it where you like the sound and turn the amp up just so it starts to clip and see if you still like the sound. The point is turn the meter off and use your ears. I listened to your clips and your amp sounds great. I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers stuff.
CW
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 am
Delmar, please read the above. I believe this is as much as we know about the trimmer and what its purpose may be. I am going to suggest a change in strategy based on something you stated early in one of your posts(or maybe your clip). I'm pretty sure you said you don't hear any difference when adjusting the trimmer. If that is the case, then all this measuring and so on may not accomplish anything, at least not sonically. What I would do is get a guitar with a nice clear top end like a Strat, set the amp so that it is still on the clean side, and play around with the trimmer and see if you hear any difference. If you don't then your done. If you do hear a difference then set it where you like the sound and turn the amp up just so it starts to clip and see if you still like the sound. The point is turn the meter off and use your ears. I listened to your clips and your amp sounds great. I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers stuff.
CW
good advice. As long as thing's are operating safely I think using your ears is the only way to set up your amp/gtr, regardless of what's technically right or wrong.

If you like the sound that's all that matters at that point.

Personally I like amp with the 10M so it's staying put. I did not alter the PI trim at all when swapping out the resistor.

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

So, in summary...

One thing has been determined, the PI grid leak is a 10 Meg, confirmed by CW's pictures, and Marcus reports a preference for the change in the sound.

Delmar says above that there is no discernible difference in the sound as the trimmer setting is changed.
It will certainly shift the output balance, but not very much. I see about 1.5 Vrms range of adjustment in plate output vs cathode output, and the outputs are not as close to being balanced with the 110k plate vs. 100k (4k7 bias + 10k trimmer + 33k + 56k cathode load).

If anyone wants to experiment with the PI balance, I recommend a 1Ω between the cathode resistor and ground, and using a scope. The plot below shows what that looks like, with all values taken from the schematic except the PI grid leak is 10 Meg. The trimmer is at Min, 50%, and Max. As you can see the cathode current pulses are not quite matched at Max (red trace), and the closest the PI output voltages get is similar to what Delmar reported, missing by about 0.7 Vrms. Taking the output from the wiper of the trimmer is also a bit odd. More commonly it is taken directly from the cathode (for best balance), or at the bottom of the bias resistor (possibly less risk of blocking) [Blencowe, Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass]. Shorting the top of the trimmer to the wiper would take the output from the bottom of the bias resistor. Any chance the original was connected that way?

How many of these did HAD build? Are there are there any other examples known? Is it possible that the trimmer was included as an experiment and then found to be unnecessary?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

This is from Tony:
How to set the trimmer..

IMO..You don't need a scope or a meter..Just crank the amp (about 12:00)
and listen for the low end to bloom slightly and come into focus..It's subtle but you can hear it..It's more obvious than dialing in an ODS, but I don't think it has much to do with sustain,possibly 2nd order harmonics..IMO part of the reason why the amp sounds slightly BIGGER!!!

When I finish building the one I am working on now, I would like to play around with looking at things on the scope but before I go to the gig, I am going to do what Tony suggests(and maybe look at it on the scope again :D ).
Martin, I was able to measure resistances between the top and bottom terminals and the wiper so I don't think either is shorted. Finally, yes I know where another Tweedle Dee is and at some point I am going to have a look.
CW
Delmar Evans

Post by Delmar Evans »

Charlie you asked me for some readings yesterday and again you are correct. My meter does measure millivolts and the decimal point was in fact in a different position when I flip to millivolt range. The final reading was 12.1 mV I could never get it to zero. This was with the one Meg in place not the10 meg. I wanted to attach a video of my measurements but the file is too large to post. As I read through your post it looks like the final reading on that resistor is in fact a 10 meg not a one meg so I will put the 10 meg back in and see if I get closer to zero
Delmar
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

sluckey wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:10 pm
Delmar Evans wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:35 pm That is where I measured .011 mV.
You keep referring to .011mV throughout this whole conversation. I don't know of any DMM that can produce that reading. My Fluke 87V only has a resolution of .1mV. IOW, it can measure 20.1mV, or 100.9mV, but anything less than .1mV cannot be measured by my meter. Do you realize that .011mV is only 11µV (11 microvolts)? So, what are you really measuring? Can you show a pic of your meter showing a reading of .011mV?
Not me. Delmar I'll give you credit for trying to get that zero :D but you may want to read through some of the recent posts including Martins graph.
CW
Delmar Evans

Post by Delmar Evans »

Charlie

Took some more voltage readings for for grins

I Installed the 10 meg back into the amp. The mv readings actually went up with the 1000 hz signal being I injected into the amp at 1 volt. Ac on the grids were at 19.80 and 20.97
Delta on 1 ohm resistors 19.1mv and could never get below 18

Dc volts at pi 9.25 going to pin 7. Top of 10 meg going to wiper on pot. 41.1 vdc

So I guess it this point in time if I don’t have an oscilloscope there’s no way to balance. And the impression I get from all the comments is don’t worry about the voltage is just play the amp
So did HAD leave the potentiometer in there that really does nothing as a red herring? Or do we actually know what this is supposed to do and how to correctly set it?
Delmar
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

I have some questions about this amp maybe some here can help me out.

I have a bell and Howell filmosound 179 chassis and transformer set I'd like to use for this. any issues with that as a starting point? being that the original amp had a 5Y3GT rectifier and three 6v6s, a 6sl7gt and two other tubes I think it can handle the gz34 , 2 x 12ax7 and 2 x 6v6 if the calculator I used is accurate.

to make the front panel a little cleaner, I hope to put the 2nd input on a switch so go from hi to low

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/ ... Switch.png

and the first input I plan to just have by itself.

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/ ... ks_Mod.png

I'd also like to add a fx loop. I'll never actually use it as an fx loop, I just have a mototeddy Jose pedal preamp that I'd like to see if I can use with this power amp

https://robrobinette.com/images/Guitar/ ... X_Loop.png

I plan to take my time with this build as every other time I go too fast I end up with a mess that doesn't work well.

anyone see any issues with my starting plan?

if it sounds good I'll probably try to get a combo cabinet made for it. something like the kr12 from Louis electric style with a single 12". unless the tubes horizontal in a combo cab will cause an issue, than maybe ill stick with a headshell
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Hey wsaraceni,

I did build an amp with similar changes from the original layout, but I ventured further out :
FX Loop, switch between chan 1 and 2, cascading switch for extra gain, added a 3 way bypass cap and NFB switch (all these mods are on Rob Robinette's website), added a LarMar type II Master volume, and a 470k grid stopper on the PI and other small changes on channel one.

Fantastic little amp, I have done two builds with old transformers and both worked fine. Be cautious though, these build are demanding on the PT which can get pretty hot.

Don't forget that adding the FX loop this way means the signal strength follows the course of your volume pot, feeding your FX.

Have fun!

Fred.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

fred.violleau wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:44 am Hey wsaraceni,

I did build an amp with similar changes from the original layout, but I ventured further out :
FX Loop, switch between chan 1 and 2, cascading switch for extra gain, added a 3 way bypass cap and NFB switch (all these mods are on Rob Robinette's website), added a LarMar type II Master volume, and a 470k grid stopper on the PI and other small changes on channel one.

Fantastic little amp, I have done two builds with old transformers and both worked fine. Be cautious though, these build are demanding on the PT which can get pretty hot.

Don't forget that adding the FX loop this way means the signal strength follows the course of your volume pot, feeding your FX.

Have fun!

Fred.
that sounds awesome but way more complicated than I'm ready to take on.

how would you know if the PT was up to handle the task? the filmosound had way more tubes and even some lightbulb that ran the projector so this is a way simpler design than the original. the only thing pulling more current I can tell is the gz34 vs the original tube rectifier and then I guess the added voltage for everything downstream of that.

as for the FX loop, I don't plan to ever use the fx send. I just want the fx return as a way to plug in a tube preamp and have a nice 15ish watt poweramp to try to use a tube preamp pedal I have. that pedal has a master volume and is a Jose modded marshall circuit that I believe cuts out right at the phase inverter and it has a master volume so I assume the signal would be fine going in.

essentially I want two things out of this

1. a successful amp build
2. something that sounds similar to this
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTnCJdZJPdk/
azatplayer

Post by azatplayer »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:06 pm Delmar, so the question I have is, were you able to get a balanced output before with the 1 meg grid leak and now with the 10 meg are not? The more I think about what the LNFB is doing the more the 10 meg makes sense. Martin, I have been reading up on the split load invertor, so basically the plate load(100kish) is split in half. Half goes on the plate and half goes on the cathode(Fender design 56k) so the same signal current that flows through the plate flows through the cathode also. Dumble doubled the Fender value, I would assume, to get closer to unity gain. If you add up the resistance of the cathode you get 103.7K and the plate is 110k. So it is a bit unequal and I guess you suggest the 100k to get the plate and cathode resistance closer in resistance. My source material(Tales from the Tone Lounge) also states that a split load invertor is a terrible way to try and balance the signal since the actual impedance characteristics of the plate and cathode are different. So is a balanced output even possible with Fender's or Dumble's circuit or is the trimmer(and LNFB) possibly a way of smoothing things out so that is is more pleasing sonically? I don't have a Tweedle Dee right now to play around with but I do remember that I could hear a difference in the way the amp sounded by adjusting the trimmer in the first replica I built. Finally, has anyone who has built this circuit been able to get a dead on output balance by adjusting the trimmer?
CW
Ive not been around much lately, but i have some experience with cathodynes i can offer, probably been covered but anyway. The one amp ive sold the most of has a cathodyne PI, fixed bias 6V6 or 5881. I simply love cathodynes. Theyre beautifuly balanced if you dont drive them and i really like the way they clip provided a big grid is used on them. Where they fall down in balance is when overdriven hard. Both anode and cathode loads have an AC reference to ground. cathode directly and anode thru the PI filter cap. But the cathode also has a DC reference. And its that DC ref that holds, or clamps the cathode fed signal out. Whilst the anode sees no such reference, and is free to draw more bias current to the place it actually starts robbing the cathodes. I find on my amps the balance is perfect til clipping on the outputs starts. As you really push them hard beyond say 50-60ma each, the cathode side will hold there while the anode will push past to 70-80ma as measured at its cathode/s.
That doesnt sound terrible, tho wears that side tube out faster.
WHen i first saw the tweedle dee mods, i overlooked what HAD had done as simply his fascination with nfb and balance. But in trying the nfb out, i found the wonderful answer. WHere a given amp would hold 60ma at the cathode side but push to 80ma at the anode, they both pull strong to 70ma. The nfb only applies to the anode side of the PI, which should tell you something, and the way it clamps the anode from pushing harder, rectifys the way it robs bias current from the cathode side.
Ive seen another builder try and overcome this using a higher grid resistor, like 10k on the anode vs 1k5 on the cathode. But the 2nf/3m3 is about darn perfect.
My guess therefor for the loads being greater is they simply sound better off the leash. I used to run 56k but moved to 82k loads on 6V6;s, 100k on 5881's. But HAD also raised the cathode value to 4k7 so its kinda moot really, would be essentially equivalent to 56k and 1k cathode. The pot is seen on the SVT's cathode purely so a little different but again recognising the need to compensate.
I didnt notice any loss of harmonic content using the nfb nor did i bother with the loads or trimmer, the nfb simply cured the extended swing of the anode by itself. I run individual fixed bias on my amp so a shared cathode bias arrangement may vary some. As far as the 10M grid leak goes, I would hazard a guess that the nfb may take some of the tweeds rawness away, some of that glory tone that we all love, perhaps it cures the cure.
I would love to have met HAD.