Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by Structo »

Probably due to the fact that most of us aren't that great or too modest to post sound bites.

There are a couple but you will have to search.
I'll look.

I actually like this amp better than the 5E3 I built a few years ago.

I'm still tweaking but it seems like a very gigable amp in smaller venues.

It doesn't sound like a Dumble but like a hopped up Deluxe, I guess.

It is a loud amp, starts getting dirty around 10:00 or so on a 1x12 with a WGS V30.

With the volume at 2:00 or so, hitting a power chord is glorious with good sustain.

I also used a pretty small 15w OT hoping it would help induce the goodness.

Here is Synchu's amp.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
passfan

Post by passfan »

Many thanks to Charlie Wilson. I'm really digging this amp. I just happen to have a Hammond L100 series chassis with iron sitting around and it was the perfect match. Voltages came in spot on regardless of rectifier type and this thing has the bloom and harmonics , even when you step on the gas. Did I say I'm really diggin this amp ? If you can lay your hands on one of these donor chassis you cant go wrong. I think I bought the ruby filter caps and a set of JJ's, everything else I had around the shop/ I'm out maybe 120.00 .......yea, I'm really diggin this little amp.....something about cold dead fingers .....and such...thanks
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

passfan wrote:Many thanks to Charlie Wilson. I'm really digging this amp. I just happen to have a Hammond L100 series chassis with iron sitting around and it was the perfect match. Voltages came in spot on regardless of rectifier type and this thing has the bloom and harmonics , even when you step on the gas. Did I say I'm really diggin this amp ? If you can lay your hands on one of these donor chassis you cant go wrong. I think I bought the ruby filter caps and a set of JJ's, everything else I had around the shop/ I'm out maybe 120.00 .......yea, I'm really diggin this little amp.....something about cold dead fingers .....and such...thanks
Thanks for the endorsement, passfan, now I have to build one. Did you pair it with Dumble's choice of speaker?
Last edited by LeftyStrat on Sun May 03, 2015 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
passfan

Post by passfan »

I am using a 2x12 with G1265s or a crate blue voodoo with OEMs. Sounds great with either.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

Charlie Wilson wrote:The resistor is yellow/violet/brown=470 ohms. I might have made a mistake on the NFB resistor but I am pretty sure on this one.
CW
Hi Charlie,

I'm a little late to this thread, but many thanks for the cool info on this amp! A question for you (and others though): in going over the cathodyne PI values, I'm a little confused by two things:

1) You noted a voltage of 15.48 at 33k "tail" resistor heading to ground (if I'm reading your hand-drawn layout correctly... indicating a quiescent current of roughly half a ma through the tube at idle, which should give a voltage at the cathode of approx. 50, yet you noted a voltage of approx 21 at the grid?! Something seems off there to me.

2) My own (old) eyes see the bias resistor as yellow/violet/red (4.7k ... though that seems high) and the grid leak resistor as brown/black/blue (10M way high, but a common Dumble feedback resistor value). Strange.

So, for those who have built the circuit, did you use the values as per the schematic, and if so, what kind of voltages are you seeing at the grid and at the cathode?

My backstory for asking, is that I have been looking for ways to make the cathodyne behave a little more politely when the grid is pushed into conduction (grid current), and one of the common tricks I discovered is to use a fixed bias scheme on the grid at somewhere around 1/4 to 1/5 of HT. It occurred to me that if the 10M resistor is actually connected to B+ instead of to the cathode string, and that the other end of the 3.3M resistor is actually connected to ground, then the PI *could* actually be using a fixed bias instead of a feedback network. Just wild speculation on my part, of course. In any case, thanks for indulging me. :)

Cheers!

chris
jelle

Post by jelle »

I just did a voltage test for you:

V2: 218V NA 1.53V, 265V 20V 45V.

The junction between the 56K and 33K reads 15V.

:D

Jelle
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

jelle wrote:I just did a voltage test for you:

Jelle
Thanks, Jelle!

-chris
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

jelle wrote:I just did a voltage test for you:

Jelle
The 20V is in error due to the meter's input impedance upsetting the bias point. I suspect that Charlie measured it in the same way. Check it at the bottom of the 4k7 for a more accurate result. I'd expect a bit under 43V.

The grid leak on the PI has to be a 1M, even if the third band does look a little blue.
chris_sanford

Post by chris_sanford »

martin manning wrote: The 20V is in error due to the meter's input impedance upsetting the bias point. I suspect that Charlie measured it in the same way. Check it at the bottom of the 4k7 for a more accurate result. I'd expect a bit under 43V.

The grid leak on the PI has to be a 1M, even if the third band does look a little blue.
Ah, thank you, Martin! Now things make sense to me. :)

-chris
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Not sure if this video has been linked here before

Kenny Wayne Shepherd solo starting at 3:06 is the Dumble Tweedle Dee Deluxe with delay added by engineer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125Rs4u1J8g
passfan

Post by passfan »

M Fowler wrote:Not sure if this video has been linked here before

Kenny Wayne Shepherd solo starting at 3:06 is the Dumble Tweedle Dee Deluxe with delay added by engineer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125Rs4u1J8g
Pretty much how mine sounds at 1/4 volume with a LP through a 4x12 cab. Cleans up unbelievably nice with the guitar volume. Great little amp , thanks Charlie.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

Has anyone added a reverb driver to the circuit ?
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

passfan wrote:Has anyone added a reverb driver to the circuit ?
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 729#352729
passfan

Post by passfan »

Thanks Martin , I also found a aa1164 Princeton circuit that included a reverb and tremolo circuit. Same layout as the 5e3.

http://tubeamplifierparts.com/schematic ... ematic.gif
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
kominak

Post by kominak »

Charlie Wilson wrote: As far as the tweed champ goes, all Dumble does is remove all the components off the board and replace with the same stuff he uses for the tweed deluxe(stock values). The only changes are increased filtering(22uf each cap) and increase the value of the NFB resistor(I think 270k instead of 22k). He keeps the original board, wire, and speaker.
Maybe a stupid question, but does he change the rectifier in tweed champs to GZ34, too(just as he does on tweed deluxes)?