Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by Charlie Wilson »

+1. That is the way my iphone electronics app sees it also. :D
CW
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Mine too. I think my resistor dyslexia was kicking in!
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

I have to thank you Charlie, Going back to the beginning to launch into the future.
CHIP. I set my PI voltage each side of the trimmer outside lugs. When it was 5 volts differential
the amp started to bloom then tuned it to ear. I got my PT last night and will try to get both
amps to sound the same. For a honest comparison I will use the tubes in #1 to test #2
I will also change the SBE .1uf to CDE .1uf and the Mepco 68k to 68K CC and the 110K CF to 110 CC
then parts wise they should be the same. Both have the Conn 4/8 ohm 1959 OPT now.
It could be the tubes I'm using in #1 Amperex GZ34, RCA 1951 Back plate 6V6 and long plate JAN black
Plate 12AX7. Both the 12AX7 and 6V6 are matched. Both amps have the white and black label Rocket
Celestion speakers. I just installed Celestion G12-65'S in my Mesa Boogie 2 x12" cabinet and so far
the D Deluxe liked the G12-65'S the best they are new and have not broke in.
7/26/2014 I played a gig with the #1 and a Country recording artist Madison we let sing with the band.
Madison My dad plays nothing but Fenders how are you getting that sound out of that Fender Deluxe
I told Madison to contact Robert Hinson if anybody could duplicate the amp it would be Robert.
So far I have not been able to. And I don't sell amps. One more test that shined was a high impendence
microphone playing a harmonica what fun.

Steve.
talbany

Post by talbany »

How to set the trimmer..

IMO..You don't need a scope or a meter..Just crank the amp (about 12:00)
and listen for the low end to bloom slightly and come into focus..It's subtle but you can hear it..It's more obvious than dialing in an ODS, but I don't think it has much to do with sustain,possibly 2nd order harmonics..IMO part of the reason why the amp sounds slightly BIGGER!!!

BTW..Our trimmer settings were pretty much the same as Charlie's

One other thing I wanted to mention is IMO the Orange drops do add the bit of grit to the amp that kind of get's you into the Marshall territory..If you want real smooth use the Mallory 150's..(I wonder what this thing would sound like with some original mustards)

Hope this helps!!

Charlie..Thanks for the bonus shots!!..Got any of a Dumbleland layin around!:lol:
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
talbany

Post by talbany »

mhartman wrote:Here's a quick and dirty layout based on Weber's 5F1 layout drawing.
The cathode resistor should be 4k7 not 470k,yellow/violet/red..(470k would be almost or in cut off)

Tony
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Maybe 470 ohms would be better. :D
CW
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

talbany wrote:
mhartman wrote:Here's a quick and dirty layout based on Weber's 5F1 layout drawing.
The cathode resistor should be 4k7 not 470k,yellow/violet/red..(470k would be almost or in cut off)

Tony
Good catch Tony. Thanks.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

The resistor is yellow/violet/brown=470 ohms. I might have made a mistake on the NFB resistor but I am pretty sure on this one.
CW
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

You're right Charlie. Yellow Violet Brown is 470R. 4k7 would also be way too high. That's what I get for responding on my phone in traffic. :shock:

Layout updated.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Damn my monitor was screaming red..Absolutely right 470 ohm makes sense!!...Sorry!

Tony
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I moved my layout files for the Tweedle Dee Deluxe and the Tweedle Dee Champ (updated) to the files section.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 631#311631
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I'd like one more time to thank for the great sharing spirit of this inspirational community :)

I finally built the amp as well.
Needs some tube rolling and final touches, but the voltages look fine as overall.

What I find out is that it has even less headroom than the standard 5E3 circuit, I build (granted the standard has 12AY7 at V1, but still I would have expected cleaner amp :/)
With PAF style pickups equipped Gibson it is already in the overdrive territory on 2.
Is that to be expected or am I missing something?

Niki
Last edited by Synchu on Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Synchu wrote: What I find out is that it has even less headroom than the standard 5E3 circuit, I build (granted the standard has 12AY7 at V1, but still I would have expected cleaner amp :/)
With PAF style pickups equipped Gibson it is already in the overdrive territory on 2.
Is that to be expected or am I missing something?
Based on Charlie's description at the beginning of this journey, I think that this might be normal. I'll have mine finished in a day or two. I'll let you know if I find the same.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Caps 716 series. This amp came around a couple years ago and since I am already going to Dumble hell, I better keep ownership and location a mystery. 8)
Hey Charlie,

Do you know if the three .022uf 600v Orange Drops were also 716 series? I ask because these aren't labeled in your layout and, while I've seen Dumble use OD 715/716s in the PI, it seems that he typically prefers to use 6PS series in the tone stack / signal path. Thanks again!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello,
All of the orange drop caps were the 716 series.
CW