Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Any interest in seeing some Dumble Tweed Deluxe photos?

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Early fifties Tweed Deluxe had three inputs.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Early fifties Tweed Deluxe had three inputs.
Tweed Harvard's and Vibrolux's had three inputs, along with laydown transformers. However the 5C3 with the octals had the single PT hole and 3 inputs.

TM
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

It's a gutted 5C3 chassis , look at the socket adapter plates.

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Trust me, it was a Tweed 5C3 Deluxe before it was modified. I think one of the things Tonemerc is implying is that the board is original. I never noticed it before, always assumed the board was replaced but looking at the layout, eyelets and holes could have been added to the original board. That is pretty slick. However, taking ever single component except for one cap and maybe a couple carbon comp resistors, replacing the tube sockets and pots, and taking the original alnico speaker may not be a TOTAL gutting but it is a bit of an evisceration.
jelle

Post by jelle »

If so, how did he straighten the warped board? Assuming it was warped, like most of them are.
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah that's true. I just have always wondered about the extra through hole that didn't get used. The board doesn't look as cooked as the old ones either. I saw the amp before the transformation but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the board. Anyway I not trying to be judgmental of Dumble for modifying a vintage amp. I think he has earned the right to modify whatever he wants and make it something new. The amp did sound great when it came back.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Trust me, it was a Tweed 5C3 Deluxe before it was modified. I think one of the things Tonemerc is implying is that the board is original. I never noticed it before, always assumed the board was replaced but looking at the layout, eyelets and holes could have been added to the original board. That is pretty slick. However, taking ever single component except for one cap and maybe a couple carbon comp resistors, replacing the tube sockets and pots, and taking the original alnico speaker may not be a TOTAL gutting but it is a bit of an evisceration.
Charlie forget my errant ramblings; I had forgotten about the octal version. Martin nailed it yesterday when he stated it was possibly a 5C3 and of course you confirmed it today. The things that I were alluding too were the 3 inputs and standup PT, but of course the very early octal version had these.

I dont think the board is original, the UltraPhonix's that I have seen did not have the original boards and component choices here are kind of consistent with those.

Thanks again for sharing.

TM
talbany

Post by talbany »

jelle wrote:If so, how did he straighten the warped board? Assuming it was warped, like most of them are.
I agree if that's the original board and chassis then that amp was in really good shape before the mod..Still seems a bit wrong (even for HAD) to sacrifice it for only the transformers then mod the chassis as well (and keeps the speaker)..Personally I don't see where seasoned transformers in a 5C would make it worthy of sacrificing the entire amp...I don't see the benefit there :?

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

7K! :D
Tubetastic

Post by Tubetastic »

jelle wrote:If so, how did he straighten the warped board? Assuming it was warped, like most of them are.
What struck me was it looked like a new board.

No soup/old board for you Mr. Tweedy.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Charlie thank you for posting this amp.
The Real Dumble modified and rebuilds. I have seen only a handful all have new built boards
made to look like stock boards but are not.

Steve.
:D
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

I like it because it makes me feel better about using Teflon wire in my Low Plate Classic build!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Those look like 6PS caps. Funny, if someone else had used those in that amp there would have been conversations about how Sozo's would sound so much better in there. Maybe it'll still happen.

Charlie, thanks for the generous information. How does the amp sound now and where does it live?
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Caps 716 series. This amp came around a couple years ago and since I am already going to Dumble hell, I better keep ownership and location a mystery. 8)
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote:7K! :D
Sorry Charlie..I meant to say benefit sound/performance wise!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"