Poor mans SSS ~

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

newking70

Poor mans SSS ~

Post by newking70 »

Would modding a Dual Showman Reverb get me in the ballpark?
Roe

Re: Poor mans SSS ~

Post by Roe »

yes, probably
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

It will get you cleans, but it will not sound or feel like an SSS. I have both and the difference is instantly apparent. That being said, they both are great in their own way.
talbany

Post by talbany »

mhartman wrote:It will get you cleans, but it will not sound or feel like an SSS. I have both and the difference is instantly apparent. That being said, they both are great in their own way.
+1..
SSS's are in a class by themselves

T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
jelle

Post by jelle »

Could make for a good Ultraphonix amp.
crafty1

Post by crafty1 »

Speaking of Ultraphonix,

Out of all the D style amps this is the one that appeals to me the most. I have a Bassman AB165 that would be a perfect platform to convert to one however i am struggling to find any substantial ( non cryptic) information or schematic for one of these babies. Is there anyone out there who could PM some info to me?
I would greatly appreciate it.

Rich
newking70

Post by newking70 »

jelle wrote:Could make for a good Ultraphonix amp.

is that what the steve aloha mods are?
jelle

Post by jelle »

Please use the search function. There is quite some good info on that here. :-)

crafty1 wrote:Speaking of Ultraphonix,

Out of all the D style amps this is the one that appeals to me the most. I have a Bassman AB165 that would be a perfect platform to convert to one however i am struggling to find any substantial ( non cryptic) information or schematic for one of these babies. Is there anyone out there who could PM some info to me?

Rich
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

jelle wrote:Please use the search function. There is quite some good info on that here. :-)

Rich
Gonna vent here.....with ALL due respect (and that's a LOT....really)

The old "search" line when talking about the UP is total BS.

Just for grins, I did an "UltraPhonix" search (couldn't sleep last nite), and I went thru EVERY thread that came up in the results....endured some painful off topic discussions.

NOTHING that points to anything remotely "non-cryptic".
LOTS of referrals to Schematic Heaven mods.
Lots of "here's what I tried...did I do good?" type stuff, but no definitive UP specs or firsthand info.

You guys who have been inside them, or have been handed info from others on the condition that you don't share it, that's fine, but don't think that just because YOU know what's going on, everyone else does, too.
IF you know where info is located or hidden on the forum, please share it once and for all so the mods can sticky it and folks can be directed to that info quickly and easily.

Now, having said that, I don't care a whit (anymore) about what the "real" UP topology looks like.
I have modded a '74 Twin to what I want in a Dumble, and am so pleased and satisfied with it that I haven't touched a cap or resistor in it, or even built another amp in the last 6 months! Allows me to actually concentrate on PLAYING guitar for the first time in years! :P

3 stage clean channel in "normal", ODS based OD channel in the "Vibro" side, footswitchable using an A/B box (no relays). Better than I could have hoped for, even if ordering from Mr D himself....all for a couple hundred bucks and a few hundred hours of bench time.

As I said, with respect, but just calling it as I see it....prove me wrong (for the benefit of those who are truly seeking the info and have tried their best)

G
rogb

Post by rogb »

da Geezer wrote:
jelle wrote:Please use the search function. There is quite some good info on that here. :-)

Rich

Just for grins, I did an "UltraPhonix" search (couldn't sleep last nite), and I went thru EVERY thread that came up in the results....endured some painful off topic discussions.

Lots of "here's what I tried...did I do good?" type stuff, but no definitive UP specs or firsthand info.

You guys who have been inside them, or have been handed info from others on the condition that you don't share it, that's fine, but don't think that just because YOU know what's going on, everyone else does, too.
IF you know where info is located or hidden on the forum, please share it once and for all so the mods can sticky it and folks can be directed to that info quickly and easily.

Now, having said that, I don't care a whit (anymore) about what the "real" UP topology looks like.
I have modded a '74 Twin to what I want in a Dumble, and am so pleased and satisfied with it that I haven't touched a cap or resistor in it, or even built another amp in the last 6 months! Allows me to actually concentrate on PLAYING guitar for the first time in years! :P

3 stage clean channel in "normal", ODS based OD channel in the "Vibro" side, footswitchable using an A/B box (no relays). Better than I could have hoped for, even if ordering from Mr D himself....all for a couple hundred bucks and a few hundred hours of bench time.

As I said, with respect, but just calling it as I see it....prove me wrong (for the benefit of those who are truly seeking the info and have tried their best)

G
^^^^^ Halle bloody lujah - I gave up on the UP ages ago, like you I don't give a whit, my ODS types do everything I need. There is no substantial information here in TAG, I spent long enough searching myself.
If someone has a real idea what the modded AB763 is like, please do tell.
All I know is that it has a Marshall like PI. As I have a lovely JCM800 clone, I soon lost the urge to go UP crazy.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

For anyone interested, I have a ( I believe 66) BF Showman with Philips power tubes, new electroyltic caps, fairly clean for $ 1-K for sale. Unmolested, totally stock except for the new caps and a new line cord, small band name stencil on the side which I think I can remove before shipping.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Agreed, some people with good information tend to hold out. For the sake of capturing here something that may be useful, as far as I know the following is a possible type of UP configuration.

1. One channel is a Blues Master clean with the Blues Master type of boost.

2. The other channel is a Skyliner clean with a traditional Dumble boost.

3. The PI is as in the Blues Master, you'll need to scale the feedback loop for a 50W implementation (see any Marshall schematic for that).

4. Orient the caps the right way and get the PI balanced properly and you will have a great sounding amp. Cannot emphasize this last point enough, it will either make or break any amp.

Gil

rogb wrote:
da Geezer wrote:

G
^^^^^ Halle bloody lujah - I gave up on the UP ages ago, like you I don't give a whit, my ODS types do everything I need. There is no substantial information here in TAG, I spent long enough searching myself.
If someone has a real idea what the modded AB763 is like, please do tell.
All I know is that it has a Marshall like PI. As I have a lovely JCM800 clone, I soon lost the urge to go UP crazy.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I have modded a '74 Twin to what I want in a Dumble, and am so pleased and satisfied with it that I haven't touched a cap or resistor in it, or even built another amp in the last 6 months! Allows me to actually concentrate on PLAYING guitar for the first time in years!
FYI
I have had the privilege of hearing sound clips from this amp. It is truly one of the most beautiful sounding amps I've ever heard. I honestly can't name any Dumble or D-clone amp that I enjoyed any better (on recordings, sound clips or the ones I've heard live).

I've seen posts on the "trade off" between the clean or OD with leaning towards one of those being dialed in "better" than the other but not being able to get the best of both. For the tone/s I enjoy the most, I think his design captures the best of Fenderish clean and the best of Dumblish sweet harmonically rich OD. I certainly acknowledge this is a issue of personal taste and preference.

Not saying DaGeezer's amp is superior in tone. Simply saying I enjoyed the tone that much. And I am sure some of it is due to his great playing.

With respect, 10thtx
talbany

Post by talbany »

Agreed, some people with good information tend to hold out. For the sake of capturing here something that may be useful, as far as I know the following is a possible type of UP configuration.

1. One channel is a Blues Master clean with the Blues Master type of boost.

2. The other channel is a Skyliner clean with a traditional Dumble boost.

3. The PI is as in the Blues Master, you'll need to scale the feedback loop for a 50W implementation (see any Marshall schematic for that).

4. Orient the caps the right way and get the PI balanced properly and you will have a great sounding amp. Cannot emphasize this last point enough, it will either make or break any amp.
I will also add to Gil's post and mention this..

Really you can do any version of ODS tone stacks you want and in any combination....IMO it's usually best to do a high plate side and a low plate side,so one can be a Low plate classic or a low plate skyliner (like 124)..
The other side can be a High plate Skyliner or a Bluesmaster etc..
Take your pick of any one in the files section and run that into a Bluesmaster/Marshall Pi..
Build an A/B box (or internal switching) to choose between the two on the fly or add boosts on any one of the channels,..You can voice one side for single coils and the other for Humbuckers if you use both, however you want to do it the mods and variations can be endless (50w,100w 22w,Built in -Lator, 6L6/EL-34,tube rectifier,trem,reverb. etc)..I personally wouldn't worry about doing it just like HAD did just build and voice it to your own personal taste and above all have fun with it!!!

Like Gil says get serious to layout/lead dress/GNFB/PI balance/cap orientation/parts selection/ stout transformers and all those other things Dumble incorporates in all of his amps..It WILL be a very versatile and wonderful sounding amp and an awesome platform for all your pedals!!

Have FUN!!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Rich
Yep, Jelle it's pretty much all there. If one knows the Dumble topologies and read one thread in particular the UP is really spelled out minus discreet component values.

I did a search under "Ultraphonix", there's a thread returned that says "Dumble Ultraphonix"

Write down what Gil and Tony stated; the trem can be bug or bias and HAD liked to add an additional filter cap in the preamp section.

TM
Last edited by ToneMerc on Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.