New blues master build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

New blues master build

Post by jestaudio »

Finally pulled the trigger on a chassis and unpopulated boards for a blues master, looking for a little guidance on some iron, power trafo is pretty straight forward with a Hammond unit (being in the UK), however I have a unused 4k MM OT kicking around 40-180006 which seems to be not to far out, any reason I shouldn't use it , I know its rated at 40 watt but I can live with 10 watt less.
martin manning

Re: New blues master build

Post by martin manning »

I would go for the larger core Blonde/Black Bassman head OT, such as MC 40-18009.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

martin manning wrote:I would go for the larger core Blonde/Black Bassman head OT, such as MC 40-18009.
Yep, your probably right, I can't believe how little info MM give out but a similar OT from Hammond is rated at less than 370VDC centre tap so bigger iron is defiantly in order, pity really as this will sit gathering dust now
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

First few pics of the build, chassis from Marsh as were the boards.
Transformers being sourced from a European company at a more than reasonable price .

Anyone got suggestions for the diode's on the relay boards?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

jestaudio wrote:Anyone got suggestions for the diode's on the relay boards?
Any 1Nxxxx diode would be fine. Good looking chassis. I did not see it on the Marsh site. Something new?

Good luck with your build.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

1N4007 is fine for the relays.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

Colossal wrote:
jestaudio wrote:Anyone got suggestions for the diode's on the relay boards?
Any 1Nxxxx diode would be fine. Good looking chassis. I did not see it on the Marsh site. Something new?

Good luck with your build.
Got from Marsh via ebay with a set of panels, seems like a real sturdy chassis
jazbo8

Post by jazbo8 »

jestaudio wrote:First few pics of the build, chassis from Marsh as were the boards.
Not sure if this is from Marsh...
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

jazbo8 wrote:
jestaudio wrote:First few pics of the build, chassis from Marsh as were the boards.
Not sure if this is from Marsh...
same seller, the payment was made via paypal to Marsh so unless Marsh,s account has been hijacked and someone is using his trading name its reasonable to assume its the same person :D
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Hi Jestaudio,

It looks like this seller offers two faceplate options:

- front faceplate only, in aluminum
- both front and rear faceplates, in plastic

Since you have both front and rear plates, can we assume you got the plastic ones? If so, care to give us your opinions as to quality, strength, and perhaps their thickness?

I'm looking forward to following your build!

Cheers,
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Hi Jestaudio,

It looks like this seller offers two faceplate options:

- front faceplate only, in aluminum
- both front and rear faceplates, in plastic

Since you have both front and rear plates, can we assume you got the plastic ones? If so, care to give us your opinions as to quality, strength, and perhaps their thickness?

I'm looking forward to following your build!

Cheers,
Lou
to be fair I don't think they are as good as the black product offered by another form member but on the other hand the chassis is very well made and the front plates are far more sturdy than the Ceriatone stuff I used on a JCM build a few years ago, hoping to get a little further later and get the rear plate on and some decent close ups
super100

Post by super100 »

That chassis is based on the Ceriatone. Same holes drilled. Rivets on the corners. Same width. May even be made by Ceriatone. They switched from plastic to aluminum faceplates a while back.

If you have a Hammond twin reverb style power transformer, you may have to remove the bottom cover so that it will fit in the cutout of the chassis.
You should be able to fit the chassis in a cab made for a Ceriatone OTS if you are not building your own.
Lots of mounting options for output transformers due to the extra holes.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

super100 wrote:That chassis is based on the Ceriatone. Same holes drilled. Rivets on the corners. Same width. May even be made by Ceriatone. They switched from plastic to aluminum faceplates a while back.

If you have a Hammond twin reverb style power transformer, you may have to remove the bottom cover so that it will fit in the cutout of the chassis.
You should be able to fit the chassis in a cab made for a Ceriatone OTS if you are not building your own.
Lots of mounting options for output transformers due to the extra holes.
From what the seller said the chassis is based on Ceriatones chassis but made by themselves, I was was told that a certain someone had been making complaints about the chassis and plates, the plates are definatly not ceriatone manufacture, these are far better than any I have seen from ceriatone.
The PT is a bassman unit but sourced from a European maker rather than Hammond or MM, call me tight but the prices are extortionate in the UK and I,ve got fed up with paying a premium price so am trying alternatives.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

Someone reassure me on this looking at the layout I,m using the 2 200uf caps are connected together under the board. am I being a bit thick or does it not look correct
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

The 200uF caps are connected in series to give you 100uF total.

The 220K resistors are balancing resistors to even the voltage on them as well as acting as bleeder resistors to drain the cap voltage when powered down.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!