New blues master build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jestaudio

Re: New blues master build

Post by jestaudio »

Structo wrote:The 200uF caps are connected in series to give you 100uF total.

The 220K resistors are balancing resistors to even the voltage on them as well as acting as bleeder resistors to drain the cap voltage when powered down.
Many thanks, long long day today, to much work,
A few more pics of semi completed boards, pots with buss bar in, rear plate fitted.
If I had to make a criticism of the chassis and plates is the fit is not 100%, little bit of fettling to be done, however for the money very good value
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

a little bit more progress, I had to wait quite a while for the transformers and with running the business I haven't had anywhere near the time I would like but heres a few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davescustom

Post by davescustom »

Shame on me... my amp looks like S**T compared to this.. Just amazing builts here!! :shock:
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

A little more progress while I,m off work after a knee operation, all of the power section is pretty much ready to wire and test, fingers crossed on silly mistakes lol
glasman

Post by glasman »

martin manning wrote:I would go for the larger core Blonde/Black Bassman head OT, such as MC 40-18009.
That is a GREAT sounding transformer!! Recently used one in a build.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
rogb

Post by rogb »

glasman wrote:
martin manning wrote:I would go for the larger core Blonde/Black Bassman head OT, such as MC 40-18009.
That is a GREAT sounding transformer!! Recently used one in a build.
I used the 40-18001, any difference, seems to be the same size?
Does sound really good though.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

184009 appears to have a 1/16" thicker stack than 184001. It has the same basic spec (4k2 Zpri and 4/8/16 secondaries) and it is referenced to the same set of Fender part numbers as 184001 (022855, 125A9A, 022871, 125A13A), but in a different order (022855, 125A9A are listed last for 18001). The fact that MC is maintaining two different part numbers probably means that there is a difference in the winding pattern. The odd thing is that 18-4009 is a few dollars cheaper.
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

Looks to me like the "01" is referenced as having M6 laminations.
I don't see that on the "09" specs.

Dan
Oo De Lally
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes, looks like that's it.
marshamps

Aluminum Chassis

Post by marshamps »

FYI, Those are our Overlord Chassis. Similar to the Ceriatones. They are not listed on our website.
jestaudio

Re: Aluminum Chassis

Post by jestaudio »

marshamps wrote:FYI, Those are our Overlord Chassis. Similar to the Ceriatones. They are not listed on our website.
And very good they are too, thanks by the way for getting them to me so quick,
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

Well knock me over side ways, fired up first time with no issues,
I would like to say its fantastic but I think this needs a little tweeking , the bottom needs tightening up a little, the HRM definatly needs to go and I need to get a little more response on the eq, its pretty subtle

All suggestions gratefully received and if your in blighty I,ll even buy you a beer
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Great looking build! Hang in there for a while before yanking the HRM. I have a 50 watt BM that is turning into one of my favorites. Have you tried a Dumbleator yet? Works wonders with the HRM OD.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

jestaudio wrote:Well knock me over side ways, fired up first time with no issues,
I would like to say its fantastic but I think this needs a little tweeking , the bottom needs tightening up a little, the HRM definatly needs to go and I need to get a little more response on the eq, its pretty subtle

All suggestions gratefully received and if your in blighty I,ll even buy you a beer
Of all the ODS circuits, I've found the HRM the most difficult one to sound good right off the bench. I think the theres a sweet range for V2 plate voltage and trimmer settings.

What's your preamp voltages and HRM trimmer settings?

TM
rogb

Post by rogb »

jestaudio wrote:Well knock me over side ways, fired up first time with no issues,

Put the HRM on a lift switch so you can keep the option, when you have burned everything in after some 80 hours, might be worth revisiting.
Tubes, speakers etc etc will all influence how the HRM sounds :-)