Two rock differences

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

cap217

Two rock differences

Post by cap217 »

I have researched and read all I could but I can't find info on the onyx (older one). I am looking for signature tr cleans but I want dumble drive too. I don't care about 2 channels but I guess that's a bonus. I ask bc I want a nice quality tr and an onyx is for sale.
amplifiednation

Re: Two rock differences

Post by amplifiednation »

Are you looking to buy an amp or build an amp?
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
cap217

Post by cap217 »

Buy I assume.
amplifiednation

We should chat offline. I'll be in touch Monday
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
cap217

Post by cap217 »

I found my own answer:

I have been looking for a Two Rock amp for a while and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I understand amps but the line of amps from TR really confused me. I didn't understand what was different in the sound vs features. I talked with Chad via email a few times and just decided to talk to him personally. We had a good conversation and he was a super nice and honest guy. He basically told me that most all of the cleans are the same. What changes are features and lead channels. He also explained the lineage which I thought I might share with you guys.

Started with the Emerald and Saphire. Same amp just 50 v 100w. That then went to the pro with some updates. The pro lead to the Topaz. From the Topaz the amps went to the Opal and the Onyx. The opal was a 1 channel and the standard clean and lead channel and the Onyx was 2 channels with full independent eq. The Opal was true PTP and attention was paid to the wiring. That lead to the Custom which lead to the Custom Reverb. The Custom series is where the clean cascaded into the lead.

There is the Classic Reverb which has a better reverb, FET, and superior cleans vs the custom. The classic is basically no lead in it (I think).

John Mayer used a Custom Reverb but never used the lead on it. That is why he went to the Classic and the JM signature was born.

There was a TS1 which was their only real D attempt. The ruby was the TW style.

The Onyx is interesting and should be the flagship model but for some reason 2 channels never took off. The Bi-Onyx is the same concept but a different amp than the Onyx. I was told that the Bi-Onyx should be the most expensive amp based on parts and build labor (interesting).

I am sure most of you know this but I thought it might help someone when they start a new TR thread.
rogb

Post by rogb »

You've given a good run down of TRs - which one are you going to build?
cap217

Post by cap217 »

rogb wrote:You've given a good run down of TRs - which one are you going to build?

I might have someone do a build but I want to play some two rocks first.
amplifiednation

cap217 wrote: There was a TS1 which was their only real D attempt.
Oh my. :roll:
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
jazzyjoepass

Post by jazzyjoepass »

There was also a non-production TR which was called the Tone Dog. Think only 5 ever made. One of them is sitting in front of me.

[IMG:1024:682]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e35/Jazzyjoepass/Two%20Rock%20Tone%20Dog/P7084447.jpg[/img]