Tweed Dee Deluxe

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Tweed Dee Deluxe

Post by M Fowler »

I had left my Tweedle Dee Deluxe at my buddy's guitar store and they smoked it. :)

I noticed right away on inspection that the 4k7 dropping resistor B+1 is fried maybe that OT went out, haven't had time to check it out further.

Charlie had used the same OT I did and they fried theirs.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The 4k7 is between B+1 and B+2... I think maybe a screen short.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

I had the same problem with exactly the same resistor and I think it was 2W rated one.
Replaced it with a 5K 3W Dale and didn't have any problems afterwards.

Niki
redshark

Post by redshark »

Any videos on youtuBe with this amp?

This project could be my first to come to the Dumble side!

I'm a trainwreck guy.... :)
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

M Fowler wrote:I had left my Tweedle Dee Deluxe at my buddy's guitar store and they smoked it. :)

I noticed right away on inspection that the 4k7 dropping resistor B+1 is fried maybe that OT went out, haven't had time to check it out further.

Charlie had used the same OT I did and they fried theirs.
M. Fowler well that is a bummer. That resistor is on the screens of the power tubes, so I agree with Martin that it is likely a failing tube. Although I should say that I used a Mercury Magnetics OT in the one that I built after the guy I built it for killed the Magnetic Components OT. I don't think Mercury Magnetics is my favorite sounding OT but they do seem to hold up very well and they have a lifetime warranty. I should also say that the reason I built a replica of the original Dumble Tweedle Dee is that it ran very hot and the owner was nervous about killing the vintage transformers although guys for years have been putting GZ34 rectifiers in their vintage 5E3s(including Patrick at Mercury Magnetics).
CW
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Guys thanks for the replies I will get back to it tomorrow and see what I have to replace, hopefully just tubes and resistor. :)
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Hi mark I was wondering how the MV is wired on the mission amp? I put one in my build but took it back out as it made the amp seem life less
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Lovetone I sent you a PM
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

you guys are blowing up tweedle dees? :shock: you mean that your blowing output tubes and that has led to OT failures and resisters fried? in my 5e3 the gz34 seemed to make the plates glow redder then I was comfortable with... but not fully red plate... so I took out the gz34 and I was less worried about it... shorting tubes and its results can happen in any amp tho :-(
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tubes were all fine. The 4k7 resistor was burnt so put in a 5k/5w as suggested in the above post.

Replaced the 5u4 with a 5y3.

Replaced V1 12AX7 with a 5751 and taking it back to the store to see how the boys like it.

I don't think that I mentioned I replaced the speaker with a Celestion Rocket 50w and do like that speaker with this amp.

Played with the PI trimmer until I drove myself mad and said good enough.

Mark
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Following the smoke trail with interest here. So, the dropping resistor opened up but OT survived? Have this OT in the Tweedle I plan to keep when finished. Thanks in advance.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes the OT survived just fine.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Recently loaned out my Tweedle D to a friend while I retubed his custom Deluxe I built him.

He like the Tweedle D and the amp has been running smoothly since it was buiilt so changing the screen resistor to 5k/5w did the trick.

Mark
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Good info.
May revisit mine to see if it may benefit from a swap. Haven't had any problems yet. Built three of these things and all that have them love 'em. Me included. 8^)