Tweed Dee Deluxe

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Tweed Dee Deluxe

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello Mark, that looks great. Yeah I am the builder in question that had a Magnetic Components OT fail. However, I think the guy I built the amp for was getting Twisted Sister with a Les Paul with the amp. I think the fact that your B+ is a bit lower on the power tubes will work to your benefit as it seems like this circuit can sound a little stiff with modern transformers. Since this circuit has a tighter output section, I am now very much convinced that the trimmer is there to unbalance(to ear) the PI and make the break up a little easier depending on guitar and player. You may get a little more high end sparkle if you use the metal film 1.5k grid stoppers. Oops, I should have read your voltage chart BEFORE I posted. Yeah, you could put a couple zener diodes on the PT CT to bring your power tube B+ down a bit or try a 5V4 rectifier(it is hard to find one that doesn't rattle).
CW
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Charlie, thank you and for sharing your information with all of us, very much appreciated.

I sure can use a 5V4 recto and lower the power tube plate voltage, I do have a couple of those. I thought about adding screen resistors too but didn't see anyone else doing that, any concerns for safety of the screens?

Speaking of voltage chart the expected voltages were gleaned from your posts except for a couple areas where I did not know what voltage you had.

Mark
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello Mark, I think how "hard" the output section feels is going to depend on what kind of guitar you are using. A Les Paul may be good with the higher voltages but to me, a Fender felt a bit tight. Screen resistors I guess are a good idea in terms of tube safety, especially with the higher then stock voltages but may make the amp feel a little less open. This amp replica was the first amp I ever built about three years ago. Taking measurements and such was a little tense as the owner of the original Dumble did not want me to touch anything. My posted layout had all of the information I was able to get in a pretty short period of time.
CW
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks for the info Charlie.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

jelle wrote:

...... as the alternative is a pro OT and this will change the amp
Jelle, that's the Tweed OT I'm using, I wasn't exactly worried about a dead nuts clone.

Mike
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Hello Mark, that looks great. Yeah I am the builder in question that had a Magnetic Components OT fail. However, I think the guy I built the amp for was getting Twisted Sister with a Les Paul with the amp. I think the fact that your B+ is a bit lower on the power tubes will work to your benefit as it seems like this circuit can sound a little stiff with modern transformers. Since this circuit has a tighter output section, I am now very much convinced that the trimmer is there to unbalance(to ear) the PI and make the break up a little easier depending on guitar and player. You may get a little more high end sparkle if you use the metal film 1.5k grid stoppers. Oops, I should have read your voltage chart BEFORE I posted. Yeah, you could put a couple zener diodes on the PT CT to bring your power tube B+ down a bit or try a 5V4 rectifier(it is hard to find one that doesn't rattle).
CW
I set my PT up with a B+ goal in the range of 370-380 max with an GZ34.

Mike
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Installed the new 10k trimmer and set based on Charlie's layout trimmer readings, that worked out nicely.

Using a 5U4 until I find my 5V4 recto tube.

Great sounding amp I using a Les Paul and cab arrives this week.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Mark,
What speaker are you planning on using?
I'm using a Weber 12F125-O at this time, which I used in my original 5e3 clone. May try a WGS Veteran 30.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

CHIP wrote:Mark,
What speaker are you planning on using?
I'm using a Weber 12F125-O at this time, which I used in my original 5e3 clone. May try a WGS Veteran 30.
Good question Chip because I really have been wondering myself. In testing I have been using a 212 loaded with Mojotone BV-30V's or Dumble style 212 with EVM12L, kind of spoiled with the 212 tone/volume. Going to a single 12" will be a trial and error thing for me.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Got my cab in record time before I could get my handle and hardware order sent. :lol:

Still not sure about speaker choice.

I have a bunch of old 6V6GT's from mono block Magnatone amp and another old piece of audio equipment and they sound great in the amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Speaker choice...go with the one that Dumble chose. Cheap and accurate to the original.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Great looking cab Mark.

What holds the rear panels on? Velcro?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
redshark

Post by redshark »

I'm very curious to hear this amp. Has anyone post a clip? I would love to hear it!! :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Structo wrote:Great looking cab Mark.

What holds the rear panels on? Velcro?
It's cheaper if you do your own work, so I will drill holes, use flat washer under a finish washer and screw. Silly Tom. :)

Have handle kit on order and I have drawers full of different style feet.

Front screws to hold baffle board are either brass or copper front, have to drill those too. Might be easier to just buy it all done for me :lol:

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Well I didn't see any fasteners, which is why I asked. :wink:

Another trick I saw on some custom guitars was to use those small super magnets (neodymium?) to attach rear cover plates on the back of the guitar.

No visible fasteners. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!