Tweed Dee Deluxe

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Tweed Dee Deluxe

Post by M Fowler »

I hear you Tom I do have one cab with velcro speaker grille cover.

Some stuff I posted in another thread I wanted to keep things moving on my thread for those guys still building - Don't Stop Building

I was also confused way back about what was being stated about how good the amp was sounding because it didn't reflex what I was hearing from my own build using Charlie's layout and notes.

The Tweedle Dee amp is better then a stock 5E3 in my opinion but don't expect some magical bloom, note flipping or your bell bottoms flapping in the wind.

Glad I built it and probably will build one for my friend to have. I do have a 35w Fender OT that I plan to try build another Tweedle Dee using different PT as well just to see if I can find anymore magic. Plus I took notes from all the builders and also researching about grid blocker values with this PI because 100R seems way to low but if your not getting distortion then the 1m value can be backed down. Why not just use another trimmer here.

I'm going to play with that 3m3 resistor as well to lower the NFB when lowering the grid blocker 1m to say 470k or so maybe two more trimmers are needed.

I agree here with what Talbany stated: (a bit tighter and slightly bigger sounding as well as a bit smoother) It wasn't by any means a HOLY shit moment and had to build myself one.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Has anyone tried 10meg? There's been mention of 100ohm and Charlie's layout has 1meg, but I still think that looks like a blue band.

Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Shouldn't the 1m come from anode pin 1 then to the grid pin 7 since it's

function is grid stopper and 10k trimmer pin 7 to cathode pin 8 and total of

91k from pin 8 to ground?

EDIT: the 1m is typical grid in cathode biased cathodyne so I could add another 1m grid if I wanted to. Confusing circuit since the Rb is high at 4k7 verses 1k5 and Rk is also high at 91k verses 47k
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Definitely not keeping the Celestion G12M 25w in the Tweedle D breaks up too fast.

My Mission style Tweed Deluxe with MV mod is louder and to me much more fun to play through at this time. The Jensen speaker sounds great in the amp but a little bright.

Need to wire up the stock 5e3 Deluxe next.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

One more.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Mark, the Mission does not have split cathodes on V1, correct?

The Tweedle has the split cathode. One of the things I like about the stock 5E3 is the volume control interaction. For me, that is a big part of the amp. Isn't that interaction changed with the split cathodes? Any opinions on this from your experience?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

vibratoking wrote:Mark, the Mission does not have split cathodes on V1, correct?

The Tweedle has the split cathode. One of the things I like about the stock 5E3 is the volume control interaction. For me, that is a big part of the amp. Isn't that interaction changed with the split cathodes? Any opinions on this from your experience?
Right the Mission Amps does not have split cathodes.

The tweedle D doesn't seem to have any interaction in the two channels that I could see.

Photo below is Mission's MV.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

If the shared cathode resistor is fully bypassed, which it is, there shouldn't be any interaction (bleed from one channel into the other) via that path. The tone control will have an effect on both channels, as will the volume controls since they are both part of the load on both channels, as well as allowing more or less signal to be bled off into the power supply.
Last edited by martin manning on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
shane

Post by shane »

Hi mark how is that MV wired on the Mission amp?

Cheers
Shane
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

shane wrote:Hi mark how is that MV wired on the Mission amp?

Cheers
Shane
Email sent
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

There seems to be an interaction between volume controls on the Tweedle Dee. At least to me there is. YMMV.
shane

Post by shane »

Thanks Mark :wink:
dreric

Post by dreric »

Mark

Where did you get your cabinets? I seem to remember that there was a guys who makes them "fast and cheap" rather than the 4-6 weeks wait.

Thanks
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Eric, Billyz likes this guy for cabinets.

http://www.mergili.com/

http://mergili.com/cabinetsale/

Steve.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Yes what 67plexi post is where I got the one cabinet recently I had the other cab for about 3 years and don't remember which ebay seller I got that from.

He has a brown tolex cab he wanting to sell too.