Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Tweed Dee Deluxe

Post by M Fowler »

MC 40-18021 PT 710vct
MC 40-18022 OT

One thing I need to do is get a 10k trimmer I used 20k because the 10k I ordered was a small square one I didn't want to use. I'll get the correct trimmer.

Will post voltage chart soon. Plates 405 Screens 381

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Re: Tweed Dee Deluxe

Post by Aaron »

Very nice Mark. What JJ 12AX7's do you use? I bought some and the gain was so high on them it was making my amps unstable.

Aaron
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Aaron wrote:Very nice Mark. What JJ 12AX7's do you use? I bought some and the gain was so high on them it was making my amps unstable.

Aaron
Aaron thank you, I use ECC83 $9.00 type. I am going to get some NOS from my friend to use in this amp.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Voltage Chart attached, I gleaned expected voltages from Charlie's posts.

I need to get a 10k trimmer pot because voltage is off V2-P8: 54vdc

3k5 to .1uf cap but has 18k to the 56k series resistor and 15k to junction of 4k7/1M on the trimmer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Nice build, look's great.

Whats the tone like?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

lovetone wrote:Nice build, look's great.

Whats the tone like?
Thank you, the tone is smooth with some breakup and plenty of volume but I do need to get the 10k trimmer installed and then listen again.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

M Fowler wrote:I need to get a 10k trimmer pot because voltage is off V2-P8: 54vdc

3k5 to .1uf cap but has 18k to the 56k series resistor and 15k to junction of 4k7/1M on the trimmer.
Looks nice, Mark! Maybe put a 47k in place of the 56k for a quick fix? Or, better yet, parallel a 270k with it to get even closer. I see you've got a little difference in the filtering there too with 3x 47uF instead of 3x 33uF, and 20uF instead of 33uF for V1.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I've noticed that the amps that have been built still use the 56k - 33k series resistors in the PI. Has anyone tried a single resistor?

Aaron
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Nice build Mark.
My preamp voltages came in really close to the ones posted on Charleys drawing, but the power amp voltages come in about 30 vdc lower, so if I would put in a PT with higher output, my pre amp voltages would increase too.
Then the second dropping string resistor would have to be raised.

Just bringing up something others may consider if building a Tweedle Dee.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Nice build!!

BTW, I spoke with a builder a few days ago who told me that he tried the output transformer you used, and it did not live long when used with the high power JJ 6V6 tubes.

I would hate to see you lose perfectly good beer money on smoke.

But in all honesty, I am curious to hear if it lives, as the alternative is a pro OT and this will change the amp.

Did you dime it for a while yet?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Looks nice, Mark! Maybe put a 47k in place of the 56k for a quick fix? Or, better yet, parallel a 270k with it to get even closer. I see you've got a little difference in the filtering there too with 3x 47uF instead of 3x 33uF, and 20uF instead of 33uF for V1. MManning
Martin thank you, I have the 10k trimmer coming so I'll swap it out but thanks for the advice always appreciated. :)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

CHIP wrote:Nice build Mark.
My preamp voltages came in really close to the ones posted on Charleys drawing, but the power amp voltages come in about 30 vdc lower, so if I would put in a PT with higher output, my pre amp voltages would increase too.
Then the second dropping string resistor would have to be raised.

Just bringing up something others may consider if building a Tweedle Dee.
Chip thank you, I wrote down your voltages, Tonemerc's, and Charlie's before making my voltage chart. We all have different transformers basically. I think my voltages will work though.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

jelle wrote:Nice build!!

BTW, I spoke with a builder a few days ago who told me that he tried the output transformer you used, and it did not live long when used with the high power JJ 6V6 tubes.

But in all honesty, I am curious to hear if it lives, as the alternative is a pro OT and this will change the amp.

Jelle thank you, I did crank the amp up to full volume on both channels running through a 212 Dumble cab with EVM12L's nice. :) Melt down might occur but against your advice I'm sticking with it :lol: Thanks for the Pro OT advice.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

On the four input jacks I isolated them and ran their ground to a tab on the right.

I used 1m on the high inputs for each channel for strats/tele and 180k for each low input for Humbucker guitars.

Have no noise or hum which is so nice when you have such tight chassis space.

I did not have any 33uf caps left, which shocked me because I swore I did, maybe they'll show up later. :lol:

I wish I would have thought this out sooner and had put two 33k resistors on the board instead of just one for the mic input jacks. No problem if your using a 5C3 three input chassis but with four input jacks that extra 33k would have been nice.

Almost forgot to mention I did not have a 110k plate resistor so I used a 121k that measured low and that could be replaced at some point too.

Mark
jelle

Post by jelle »

M Fowler wrote:
jelle wrote:Nice build!!

Jelle thank you, I did crank the amp up to full volume on both channels running through a 212 Dumble cab with EVM12L's nice. :) Melt down might occur but against your advice I'm sticking with it :lol: Thanks for the Pro OT advice.
Nice, I'll get some of those too. :D