Switch the presence control out for full range

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

heisthl

Switch the presence control out for full range

Post by heisthl »

I was cleaning my bench tonight and did some exploring with great results. I have incorporated "no presence" or "full range" switches in builds and always thought it would be great to just be able to turn the presence down to 0 and have it take the control out of the circuit for no negative feedback. I had some Alpha 1 meg audio pots laying around with the on/off switch (like they used in the old small amps for power). I took the back off and looked at the little actuator bump and then took the back off an Alpha 2K pot and guess what? Same bump! just switch the backs and you have a presence pot with a on/off switch. I'll definitly be using this in my next build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
TimS

Re: Switch the presence control out for full range

Post by TimS »

Did you ever end up trying this? If so, how does a Dumble with no NFB sound?
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

Fatter and louder and lots of ghosting on overdrive. Great for Jazz clean or amplified acoustic.
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Pete

Post by Pete »

Very interesting, thanks.
I've eliminated the control on some builds in the past but always just put in a fixed value (usually around half). The "Great for Jazz clean" interests me, I'll have to try it.