Dumble? What do you think?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lovetone

Re: Dumble? What do you think?

Post by lovetone »

Hi Rob Its a clone in a ceriatone chassis i think the welded corners give it away it also look like ceriatone front panel, also it looks very new.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The faceplate looks like the plastic ones that are for sale on eBay.
Look too glossy for a start.

Aaron
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Hi Rob, like everyone else I think it's a clone.
Here's why;
-The chassis doesn't look correct because I have not seen HAD use that style of chassis mounting nut before. He has, for a long time, used the screw in type for easy replacement.
-The chassis doesn't look as though it is made of thick enough material.
-I've not seen HAD use an IEC socket in an ODS before. It could have been put in retrospectively but it doesn't look as though it was.
-The wiring around the mains looks 'strained'. What I mean is that it doesn't look as though it was done by someone who has built 100's of amps.
-All the wires coming off the main board look the same. Except over by V1 where it looks as though someone just got bored and shoved the wires in randomly.
-I've not seen HAD wire his heaters in an ODS like that before.
-The OD (6ps) caps look to be standing too tall for HAD's handy work.
-The FET board has jumper wires on it. HAD must surely still know how to make pcb's!
-I've never seen HAD use the 10mm PI trim pots before.
-I've never seen him use bias probe points before. The 1 ohm resistors are often placed along the back wall of the chassis.
-I've not seen an ODS with plastic Clift jacks before.
-Almost all of the MF resistors on the main board are RN65's. Not a HAD trait.
-I've never seen HAD use those blue Xicons in the power supply before.
-Choice of wire color (colour) seems random compared to HAD's work.
-Generally, it looks as though it is made of all new parts. HAD must have a huge stock of parts, which I would have thought he would at least try to use in some areas of the build.
There are other things that could be mentioned also, just based on this one photo.
I know you know all this stuff Rob, but if you have the unenviable task of having to tell someone they have fake, it might help to have a list of reasons ready to support your bombshell!
Even if the guy bought the amp directly from HAD, I still wouldn't believe he made it. That would be another story altogether.
Good luck!

Cheers,

Paul.

PS. I wouldn't be surprised if the real builder was a member of TAG. In which case would you please step forward!
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Also did HAD ever build a 50w 4th gen?

Aaron
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

Thanks for the input chaps.

Yes, it does say Dumble on the panel.

I've heard on the grapevine here now that the owner knows it's a clone, he just doesn't let on.

Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

I agree with Guitarman18 and also see what looks like what I bet are metric screws from a Ceriatone kit holding the boards in place. Most Dumbles I have seen use nuts.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

It would be funny though if HAD decided to build a Ceriatone kit just to screw with everyone. I bet he could make it sound like a true Dumble without blinking an eye. :D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Ummm, doesn't the amp have Overtone Special on the front plate?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Tubetastic

Post by Tubetastic »

Any chance this is one where HAD was slipped some Hash-Brownies and inadvertently gooped his eyes, thereby reaching into his non-premier parts bin and have-you's lying around the workshop?