ODSR Clip

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

67plexi

Re: ODSR Clip

Post by 67plexi »

I enjoyed the Video looks like a old friend playing the ODSR amp Maybe not hard to tell.
The proper transformer makes all the difference. And how quick some are to pass judgment
Sounds like the real deal to me.

Steve.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Jelle, your point is well taken and it's good that you are standing up for the reputation of the repair guys. It still doesn't change the fact that the amp has had major repairs that were done by someone else. It may be a great amp, but it is what it is. If I truly wanted to pay the price for a Dumble, I could not justify paying 'full' price for that amp because it ain't original. For better or worse. Put a Callham bridge on a 59 Strat and it might play and sound better, but it doesn't sell better.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I really like the high gain sounds on this amp. Has anyone built one without the verb?
talbany

Post by talbany »

IMO--Installing BOTH power and output transformers is really no big deal..AS well as sourcing NOS or seasoned Fender /Schumacher iron in good shape is still readily available..So it's not like HAD had some custom iron he specified and had made for the ODSR..It was Twin/Showman Iron..It would take me about 40 min to replace both irons in that amp.. :)

Have a nice day!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Tony, I agree that to make this a working amp, similar transformers and parts are still pretty easy to find. I guess my point was that it does matter that they are not the parts that Dumble put in there as far as originality and value of the amp. The other thing is that it appears as if this amp was totally taken apart to be cleaned and so there goes Dumbles lead dress. Even if photos were taken, it will not be the same. Andy Fuchs hints at the fact that this amp does not sound so good but I have to wonder if it did not sound so good before all of this "restoration" was done to it.
CW
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

That amp sounds rather raspy and harsh to me. The playing doesn't help.
groovtubin

ride like the wind

Post by groovtubin »

vibratoking wrote:That amp sounds rather raspy and harsh to me. The playing doesn't help.
My bet this Chris Cross Dumble amp is close to sec gen, n more what it would sound like dialed in properly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqjFUPya5v8
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

sounds like it's been marshallized
Structo

Post by Structo »

yeah!

I agree, sounds like a good Marshall. :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

I am a big fan of crunchy rocking sounding amps and this thing does sound a bit like a Marshall but as Deric pointed out, the guy is plugged into the fet input with the OD turned up. I think some of the crunch and gain may be from the fet which is kind of like plugging into a stomp box infront of the amp. By the way, a COT 50(Lovepedal) turned down low in front of an ODS is a great way to make a Strat or any other guitar rock a bit more.
CW
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Nevermind...