its safe to say its 8 and then 0-9 :shock:
heh...
Lousyatit

Re: 100W ODSR ON THE BAY

Post by Lousyatit »

andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

Super secret serial not even Dumble knew it when he built it.
Dr-Joned

Post by Dr-Joned »

What, no gut shots?
I Think I Think Too Much !
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

Aha I remember when the owners friend came here to find some answers on this amp serial# 081

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... rough[code][/code]
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I know the guy who rebuilt it and he did an awesome job of finding period correct parts and did it right. The amp was a total wreck when he got it, and he did an amazing job. I was asked to supply a few parts from my old Fender stock, and helped him find others. I'm sure it's pretty cool.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:I know the guy who rebuilt it and he did an awesome job of finding period correct parts and did it right. The amp was a total wreck when he got it, and he did an amazing job. I was asked to supply a few parts from my old Fender stock, and helped him find others. I'm sure it's pretty cool.
I know him too. Good dude.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Ok, now I am wondering how much of this amp was restored. The problem I am starting to have with this is that those period correct transformers and parts were not installed Dumble. We discuss all of the time on this forum about how Dumble carefully chooses parts for his amps and tweeks them to his ears. I'm sure the repairman did the best job humanly possible to get as close to the original amp as he could but they weren't put there by Dumble.
CW
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

Did you notice the "Rob Watson" engraved into footswitch? Original owner?
D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Charlie Wilson wrote:Ok, now I am wondering how much of this amp was restored. The problem I am starting to have with this is that those period correct transformers and parts were not installed Dumble. We discuss all of the time on this forum about how Dumble carefully chooses parts for his amps and tweeks them to his ears. I'm sure the repairman did the best job humanly possible to get as close to the original amp as he could but they weren't put there by Dumble.
CW

Agree Charlie. It is a great amp that I would love to own. But, it would be better if left original. Just look at the 124 photos - Dumble definitely measured and possibly tweaked with the output transformer. If this is the case, it is easy to imagine him matching the OT to the amp (or matching the amp to the OT). It may be perfect, but it is possible that the "ecosystem" has changed with the new parts.

All that being said, given where this amp was after the botched repair, amazing work was done to maximize the value and fun if the amp!
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

An output transformer really can't be tweaked.... While I agree the amp was likely voiced and tuned around the iron, and Dumble was obsessive about measuring and testing parts quite thoroughly. In this case, I'm concerned the both the power AND output was replaced. The odds are pretty low that both transformers were bad, which makes me worry whoever did it may not have known what they were doing. I do know the restorer, and he did an excellent job to restore this. I doubt Dumble would have done it and if he did, who knows how long it would have taken or cost, if the owner even got it back from repair.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

It's already pretty high up on eBay. $28k+ for a restored Dumble with non original iron is oddly impressive. Even if restored perfectly. So was the amp gooped??
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

The question arises: what is a rare dead Dumble amp worth? That seems like one expensive paper weight...