why does everyone still put an FET input on builds?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

why does everyone still put an FET input on builds?

Post by norburybrook »

After my successful JTM45 build I'm now ready to go for a Dumble type amp.

One question still puzzles me though; why do people still put an FET input on their amps?

I have absolutely zero need for one as my acoustic goes direct into the PA system so I'm not going to put one on my build.

Do I need to do anything special to remove the FET board from the layouts on the forums here?

TIA

Marcus
Colossal

Re: why does everyone still put an FET input on builds?

Post by Colossal »

I think guys include the FET for historical accuracy if they are purists or just want the whole amp, and some also for the added functionality (e.g. pushing the front end). Project chassis that are available for D style projects include the added input hole.

Times have changed so the FET input may not be needed as you have noted. To leave the FET circuit out, keep the 150k power resistor and everything else can go.
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

I was advised by someone "in the know" to include the FET input on my 2nd gen build. Can't really speak for the later generation amps but I love it on mine. I adjust the gain on the FET to compensate for lower output single coils and use the regular input for humbuckers and P90's. It just gives you a hotter input option with a slightly glassier tone. Don't know that anyone ever really uses it for acoustic guitar.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

The FET input is very useful with a Strat. I think of the FET input as the Strat input and Normal input as the humbucker input. You could boost the Strat with a pedal, but the FET allows the amp to be to be more grab and go.

Edit: crbowman beat me to it
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Thanks Guys, food for thought.

I have been given a chassis and head cab from a friend and it only has 1 input so I'm stuck with no FET anyway.

I'm just doing lots of reading at the moment working out what exactly to build in this chassis.

I've made one decision so far.

I'm going for the full 100w !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Marcus
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have been given a chassis and head cab from a friend and it only has 1 input so I'm stuck with no FET anyway.
Some guys still put in the FET with a single input chassis and add a switch...while you're thinking about it.
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

vibratoking wrote:The FET input is very useful with a Strat. I think of the FET input as the Strat input and Normal input as the humbucker input. You could boost the Strat with a pedal, but the FET allows the amp to be to be more grab and go.

Edit: crbowman beat me to it
I'm uncharacteristically quick on the draw today. :D
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

vibratoking wrote:
Some guys still put in the FET with a single input chassis and add a switch...while you're thinking about it.

Good point :)

I'm getting a set of boards from Mike at marsh amps so I will have an FET board anyway, so maybe I'll add it after all.

Marcus
David Root

Post by David Root »

2nd gens are really good with the FET. Most think it's the only one that does need it, but I built a first gen with FET and it works well there too.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

norburybrook wrote:
vibratoking wrote:

Good point :)

I'm getting a set of boards from Mike at marsh amps so I will have an FET board anyway, so maybe I'll add it after all.

Marcus
You could even use a relay to do the switching. Then you could have a foot-switchable boost.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

I once saw Robben Ford at the Jazz Cafe in London where his tone was dreadful all night (yes, I said that!). Turned out he was plugged into the FET input by mistake and didn't spot it ! I took a pic of it just so people would believe me.

My Mystic has no FET input, just a plugged hole.

Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Rob Livesey wrote:I once saw Robben Ford at the Jazz Cafe in London where his tone was dreadful all night (yes, I said that!). Turned out he was plugged into the FET input by mistake and didn't spot it ! I took a pic of it just so people would believe me.

My Mystic has no FET input, just a plugged hole.

Rob.

Great Story Rob, Robben is a real hero of mine. Which model did you base your Mystic on?

I'm originally from Leeds by the was so used to play regularly at the band on the wall in Manchester at the start of my career.

I used to love the Apollo too, I played there with Stevie ray Vaughan in the 80's as support for his UK tour. I had come to sound check early that day as I'd cycled over the pennies from Leeds as I was racing bikes at the time, to check out Tommy's new Hartke bass rig. I started playing and Chris (Stevie drummer) joined me then 5 minutes later so did Stevie. An enjoyable on the spot jam ensued.

He was killed the next year or so, so that little moment became something to treasure :)

Marcus
Rob Livesey

Post by Rob Livesey »

norburybrook wrote:

Great Story Rob, Robben is a real hero of mine. Which model did you base your Mystic on?

I'm originally from Leeds by the was so used to play regularly at the band on the wall in Manchester at the start of my career.

I used to love the Apollo too, I played there with Stevie ray Vaughan in the 80's as support for his UK tour. I had come to sound check early that day as I'd cycled over the pennies from Leeds as I was racing bikes at the time, to check out Tommy's new Hartke bass rig. I started playing and Chris (Stevie drummer) joined me then 5 minutes later so did Stevie. An enjoyable on the spot jam ensued.

He was killed the next year or so, so that little moment became something to treasure :)

Marcus
That's a cooler story than mine without a doubt!

I crossed Band on the Wall off my bucket list just last year, I've been going to see bands there for a long time and always wanted to play there. It has changed a lot in recent years, full renovation, great PA, Bars, food, it's cool. The band I was in until late last year got asked to play their Beer & Blues Festival, it was a great gig.

I only recently got my Mystic, but it was not built for me, it was built for a close friend of mine by Tommy after he saw him play whilst on tour in Sweden. He's called Mike Walker. Anyway, Mike is an amazing jazz musician and therefore paradoxically not wealthy, he needed some cash and asked me to sell the amp for him, I ended up buying it myself. It's a 100w HRM w/6L6's and the Catulator.

Rob.
------------------
Rob Livesey
Manchester, UK
------------------