Just put 6L6's in my D'Lite

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Raja

Re: Just put 6L6's in my D'Lite

Post by Raja »

Stelligan, That was an amazing clip... Tone...Fingers Flying... very very nice.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks Raja. This amp building/tweaking is habit forming. The welcome side effect is all the extra playing is getting my chops back up! :)
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

In regards to the relays, I used 5v relays off the 6.3v supply and they work fine. I can even put led's. Is there an advantage of going with 12v relays?
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Nope.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Drumslinger

Post by Drumslinger »

Very nice stelligan! What speaker, cab size were you using? Settings?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks Drumslinger. It was an emi RWB and the settings: Vol - 1:00 Treb - 2:00 Mid - 1:00 Bass - 2:30 Gain - 9:00 Level - 10:00 Master - 10:00 Pres - 2:00. Guitar volume was on 5 or 6. At the time this was recorded the impedance was mismatched. I had the switch on 8 ohms. After the switch to 6L6 the switch should have been on 16. It is louder with more clean headroom now. Sounds even better with impedance matched. Cab size is 24" wide, 10" deep pic below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobW

Post by BobW »

Great looking amp!
coco

Post by coco »

Very nice. That pretty well does it. 6L6 D'Lite it is. Stock D'Lite or what changes did you have to make to accomodate the 6L6s??

BTW, would love to hear more from you using that amp especially one where it's pushed hard.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks guys,
I really dig the amp. A few changes have been made since the clip was made. I'm running the impedance selector correctly now :roll: . Also have toyed with preamp tubes, noodled with plate resistors, and put in a G1265. Very nice now. And yes, the clip as posted is a stock D'Lite from BrownNote's kit with just a bias adjust for 6L6's. I am contemplating bigger iron because the clean headroom is not quite there for me at gig volumes. I'll try to post some gainer clips for coco soon.
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Hey S,
Thanks for sharing your D'lite experience with us. VERY nice sounding amp and playing!!

A quick question (or two!): Do you recall the setting of your OD entrance pot and/or where you are running it at the moment?

How long have you been running the G1265 and have you observed any changes in tone/operation that might indicate any type of "break-in" period? I just put mine in and would re-think any mods to improve my OD tone if I knew that it would change significantly due to break in.

TIA,
Dave O.
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks ampgeek,
OD trimmer at time of clip was at 10:30. Since then gurus from the ether have suggested noon. I am at noon now and it's still all good. I struggle with pushing the input too hard sometimes. I play may guitar at standard pitch with 12's on high E and a plain 20 for a G string. I like the tone of the clean channel when my guitar is rolled way back. I have been experimenting with light gauge strings and really like the way the amp responds but, I just can't get used to them slinky strings. The G1265 has nice crisp(not crispy) top end that seems to be mellowing just a bit - which is fine. Still not many hours on it so, can't help much there. It doesn't seem to be changing much over time to my ears. I was running the G1265 and an EV12L in an extension cab the other day. DANG. I just can't bring myself to haul that much to the gig. Very much thinking about a diagonal 2 X 12 open back combo configuration with some casters. The tweaks go on, and on..........
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

stelligan wrote:And yes, the clip as posted is a stock D'Lite from BrownNote's kit with just a bias adjust for 6L6's.
If I understood right, you're still using the 6V6 OT & PT in the amp, you only have swapped 6L6's in and biased?

And you don't have any heat issues with the (for 6V6's designed) PT, since the 6L6's are drawing twice the heater current of a 6V6 ?
stelligan wrote:I'll try to post some gainer clips for coco soon.
I'm also already very curious to these clips!

BTW: Awesome sound and playing :o Can't stop to listen to it!
My congrats!

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Thanks Larry,
the BrownNote iron is designed to accommodate 6V6, 6L6, and even EL34 - PT also has taps that can be doubled to supply relay power . The EL34s may be a bit of a stretch as current draw would be higher, but go to brownnote.net and search the forums for someone that may have a build using them. And yes, I have switched several times between 6V6 and 6L6. I'm remaining with 6L6 from now on as I prefer a little more muscular clean tone before breakup. A recent dry gainy clip of the amp is found here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3142
IMO the D'Lite gets after a RF tone a bit more with 6L6s and does the lower gain LC thing a bit better with 6V6s. For an example of Carltonesque tones check here for a great sound from a killer player: http://www.brownnote.net/forum/viewtopi ... 55&start=0
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

mlp-mx6 wrote:Well, I'll stick my neck out. Here's what I have done.

I found 12V LEDs at Radio Shack that have a built-in resistor. (They're nearly flat to the surface also, which I consider a plus for a footswitch application.) All I had to do was provide 12V across the LED wires with the proper polarity.

I use a 5-pin XLR to connect the amp to the footswitch. The 5 wires are -

+12V
Ground
OD Relay
PAB Relay
Mid boost relay

I use a DPDT for each of the 3 switches. One side switches the relays to ground. The other switches the +12V to the positive side of the LEDs.

3 switches, 3 different color LEDs. Works great.
Ok, so what did you use for nice flexible 5 conductor cable?
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
coco

Post by coco »

stelligan wrote: ... the BrownNote iron is designed to accommodate 6V6, 6L6, and even EL34...
How does the OT iron hold together [sound wise] with the 6L6s.