fender Bassman 50 to #102 Robben Ford Dumble amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Baddog01

Re: fender Bassman 50 to #102 Robben Ford Dumble amp

Post by Baddog01 »

The guy who made it was nice enough to make it 22" wide so it would fit my bass man head. I had a chance to try it out with my EVM 12L and man she sounds great. I think I found the cab I've been looking for. On a side note I know have 4 EVM 12L speakers. When it rains it pours.
Now I need to raise more cash so I can get another cab.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I always wanted to try one of those cabs.

Hope it sounds great!
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

It's the best sounding combo I've heard so far. Great with cleans channel and overdrive. Nice sounding cab. She loved the EV speaker .
Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

I've been running the amp on an 8 ohm load and I wanted to see if a new transformer would make a difference. With the new transformer I would be able to run the amp with a matched impedance load. Installed a new ClassicTone output transformer and she sounds much better now. The lows are more defined and the highs are sounding sweeter. More of a vocal quality to the amp running it at 8ohm with an 8 ohm load. The mids are a little more focused too and not so over the top. The amp sounds better with the boost switch off than it did before. Before I didn't really like the clean setting ( no boost )much but now she sings and has more of that Fender quality. The OD channel sounds better too.

She's a winner as far as im concerned....

Man! I love this stuff.....
Structo

Post by Structo »

glad you are digging it.

I like my pair of EV 12L's a lot!
Tom

Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

I'm having issues with my EV's. I think they might be getting some voice coil rub. I get some weird noise on the low notes when I start to push them a bit. I have to do more tests but I'm thinking I'll need to order some recone kits. Oh whell, I got them cheep enough so I'm not too sad about the whole deal.
Structo

Post by Structo »

You should be able to feel the rub if you gently press on the cone near the center.

Not sure how old yours is but I have had zero issues with my EV 12L Classics when using a 100w amp.

Good luck!
Tom

Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

I believe mine are from the 80'd but I would have to take another look to make sure. Here is what was happening with all three of my speakers. When I started to push them and get the cone moving i'd get a low level buzz through the speaker. I checked my cab and she seems solid. I was doing the test outside on my deck so id tilt the cab to make sure it wasn't the deck vibrating.
After got some advice fro a guy on another forum, I did some searching on line. I turns out that these speakers have such heavy cones that they will sag after a period of time of little to no use. This will eventually cause VC rub. Or if the speaker is pushed to hard an ran to hot it can warp the VC.
Two of the speakers I picked up recently where from a Pawn store. They where in old EV PA Cabinets so don't know when they where used last. Could have been sitting for years who knows.
The other two I picked up a while back came from a local guy. I knew one was blown but I didn't know the other one had issues. These two I didn't pay squat for so no real loss. The other two I paid $100 for so it still not that bad of a deal even with recone kits.

I still want to take the amp outside again and try pushing the speakers. I just want to make sure it want the amp creating some kind of odd harmonics causing the speaker to act funny. I can only hope.

I did take the dust cap off of one of the speakers and It did have a tighter spot in the VC area. I ran a piece of index card around and could feel it.

Thanks
Keith
Structo

Post by Structo »

I've read about speaker cone sag but have not experienced it.

One remedy I guess, is to rotate the speakers in the cab every once in awhile.

I haven't done that, maybe the newer 12L classics don't sag.
Tom

Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

I'll be doing that after I recone them:) I don't the ink there is any hope for them now:(
Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

Just wasted time and money re-coning these speakers. It turns out its something with the cab. I hooked my fender twin to the cab and it did the same thing. I guess I need to look ay the can to see how well its made and if I have an air tight seal. Is insulation a big thing with these cabs? Does anyone have picks of a properly insulated TL806 cab?
Smitty

Back Panel

Post by Smitty »

The entire right hand side of your back panel looks to be unsecured. That could cause problems. Cab looks to have leaks on the back, too. Hard to tell but I see some things that look like design flaws.
Baddog01

Post by Baddog01 »

Hi Smitty,

The cab is bigger than the original TL806 design. The speaker area and ports are to spec but he added a little bit to the cab so it wold be the same size as my head.

I think I have the cab sorted out. I caulked all seams, replaced all screws with bigger ones, installed gasket material between the speaker and baffle board and between the baffle and cabinet. I also put some between the back panel and cabinet for good measure. I then insulated the cab and removed the center port cover.

Thanks
Keith
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes the plans for the TL806 show insulation inside the cab.

Good thing to either glue all the seams or calk them on any sealed cab.

Most guys say they run the port open for guitar.

You probably had air blowing out through the joints.

Just curious about the dimensions of the cab, if not correct it might not sound right.

Other guys that have built them larger kept the speaker volume the same, but added length with a false wall, so they could set the amp head on the cab.

Too bad about the recone but now you have new speakers. :D
Tom