I had a nice visit with #94 today until...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

I had a nice visit with #94 today until...

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Hello all, I and #94 need your help. I customer of mine recently purchased #94 and brought it by the guitar shop were I work to have the European ac power cord plug replaced with a domestic one. I put the plug on and every thing was going great until I tried to remount the chassis in the head box. Apparently someone had previously crazy glued nuts under the upper chassis edge for the chassis mounting bolts to thread through. Luckily I had noticed that and barely had the mounting bolt threaded into the nut when it came off. I then pulled the chassis out and just by touching the other nuts they also fell off. So unfortunately I had to send the owner of a beautiful Dumble amp home with his chassis in a well padded cardboard box. :( So what options do I have to attach nuts to the chassis that don't include drilling holes for weld nuts? Also, I noticed that there are holes on the bottom edges of the chassis. Maybe the chassis was originally mounted Fender style? This customer is a very nice guy and has no problem with photos of his amp being taken or future further study of the amp. Oh yeah, the HT taper cap is a .o2.
CW
jelle

Re: I had a nice visit with #94 today until...

Post by jelle »

Some ODS amps have fender style chassis mounting. The bolts go through at the very side of the chassis through the wooden blocks. sn#94 does not have these wooden blocks.

Maybe it was original? Sorry I cannot be of more help. Jelle
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah, Jelle that makes sense. I just can't figure out why there are holes on the bottom lip of the chassis. I hope they weren't added because the nuts came off previously and it was the only way to access them.
CW
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Awesome news getting to see #94... Sorry about your troubles though.

I don't know if it would violate your parameters but have you thought about using nutserts? They may require opening up the holes a bit... Could be the deal breaker. I've been using them when needed and love them!

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-t ... -1210.html

Tony
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Dorrisant, I think I may have to make a hard decision on this one. I think it is important that the chassis have a secure way to mount the bolts that won't come off in the future. I think any manner of gluing them back on is taking a chance. I am kind of hoping for a group conscience on this one.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Tonemerc, yeah I think the CE chassis uses those. I will have to read up a bit on how those are installed.
CW
dreric

Post by dreric »

I believe these have been used by the man himself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Nutplate-MS2 ... 43&vxp=mtr
Eric
1949 Zenith, Zenith Toggle Recoil, Zenith 55 & 440
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Deric, yeah those are like the weld nuts. I wish it had those. I just can't bring myself to drill the extra holes to mount those in an original Dumble. I would do it in a second with my amp.
CW
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

These are for Tony and Jelle.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks again Charlie :D
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

This should be #94 chassis showing mounting holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

This is #124, I think you could install those weld-nuts on #094 as least as good as that.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

To M Fowler, what I find interesting about your photo is that it looks like two of the nuts are missing from the holes. Ic-Racer, yeah I think I could do as good a job (or better :? ) than Dumble did(on the T nuts) and I am kind of leaning towards the t nuts after considering the other options but I guess I will have to let the customer decide if he wants more holes drilled.
CW
AtomCap

Post by AtomCap »

You can jbweld metal to metal, takes 24 hours to setup works very well...