If I want to build a Dumble amp : which one ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tubelectron

Re: If I want to build a Dumble amp : which one ?

Post by tubelectron »

Abslolutely fine bluesfendermanblues !

At the first sight, Aflynt seems to have built something very close to what I am planning to do.

Before finding your reply, I was designing an extrapolated project frontview of the Overdrive Special Reverb by Guilhem :

[img:1400:699]http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/34143 ... 052015.jpg[/img]

Very close to Aflynt's release, isn't it ?

Many thanks to have pointed me in the good direction :wink:

Any other comments, suggestions or ideas are still welcome, of course.

A+!
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com
jelle

Post by jelle »

Hi, I have seen that pic before. :wink:

http://www.welagen.com/product/80s-overdrive-special/

Jelle
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Jelle, well that's sucks. How come your name is on his product? :P
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
talbany

Post by talbany »

vibratoking wrote:Jelle, well that's sucks. How come your name is on his product? :P
:lol: Now so many have copied the look and style, circuits of an overdrive special it's difficult to tell them apart from a distance..Seems like everyone is doing it now (saturated).. :?

I wonder how many of them have used my layouts?..WAIT!!..don't tell me :lol: :lol:
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Long Distance Call

Post by Long Distance Call »

For comparison: I like how he added a reverb knob to your picture and then removed your name and added his...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

jelle wrote:Hi, I have seen that pic before. :wink:

http://www.welagen.com/product/80s-overdrive-special/

Jelle
Yes, of course : this is the picture that I modified to see if the additional pot would enter the frontface and give a satisfactory look, along with a logo design test.

Jelle, are you "Mr Welagen" that Dumble-like amp builder ? I found this picture on the WELAGEN website, indeed.

By the way I mentioned that it was an extrapolated frontview, not a complete redesign. I had no intention to rip anything :? , but reworking a good picture is better to have a good idea of what would be reality ...

Usually I try to make a drawing on paper (at scale 1:1) or a computerized one, like for my little Val-King below (see my topic http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27777)

[img:848:639]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/60390 ... 022014.jpg[/img]

[img:800:671]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/550631IMG1567red.jpg[/img]

[img:1212:247]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/46287 ... 300x60.jpg[/img]

[img:800:600]http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/178477IMG1809red.jpg[/img]

But for that occasion, working from a real picture like this white Dumble-like head was much more realistic here...
Jelle, well that's sucks. How come your name is on his product?
For comparison: I like how he added a reverb knob to your picture and then removed your name and added his...
That's very easy : like a teenager would, I used Microsoft Paint...

A+![/img]
ayan

Post by ayan »

No kidding, uh Tony? :) We can only imagine how Dumble might feel... ;) Now, interestingly enough, the second picture even used the same settings. Ha ha!

G.
talbany wrote:
vibratoking wrote:Jelle, well that's sucks. How come your name is on his product? :P
:lol: Now so many have copied the look and style, circuits of an overdrive special it's difficult to tell them apart from a distance..Seems like everyone is doing it now (saturated).. :?

I wonder how many of them have used my layouts?..WAIT!!..don't tell me :lol: :lol:
Tony
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

We can only imagine how Dumble might feel...
Do you know what he tooks from Mr. Leo Fender, like Randall Smith, Ken Bran and many others - including us ?

I think that a WELAGEN ODS with integrated digital reverb option might sell...

A+!
ayan

Post by ayan »

I suspect you don't know me very well at all, but rest assured that I have as good an idea as any. One thing you can be sure of: what he took from Leo Fender he improved upon immensely. The same cannot be said for any of us with respect to Dumble's work.

Gil
tubelectron wrote:
We can only imagine how Dumble might feel...
Do you know what he tooks from Mr. Leo Fender, like Randall Smith, Ken Bran and many others - including us ?

I think that a WELAGEN ODS with integrated digital reverb option might sell...

A+!
talbany

Post by talbany »

second picture even used the same settings. Ha ha!
Gil
I didn't notice that one?. :lol: :shock: I thought it was someone else (again) copying the look of an ODS.. I didn't think ANYONE would modify an image of one of jelle's amps and post it..:shock:

Disclaimer to all that read!..Although I have not actually played one of Jelle's amps I hear they are wonderful..Hopefully one day we will hook and graciously let me play one..

Priceless!!

T
jelle

Post by jelle »

Tony, Thanks! I played your Overdrive Special 102 style amp at one of the NY Amp Shows and it was a very nice amp.

I hope we can meet in person one day. :D
talbany

Post by talbany »

jelle wrote:Tony, Thanks! I played your Overdrive Special 102 style amp at one of the NY Amp Shows and it was a very nice amp.

I hope we can meet in person one day. :D
Jelle
Thanks back!!. :D Looking forward to meeting you as well..

Have a great day everyone!!..Bye

Tony
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

I didn't think ANYONE would modify an image of one of jelle's amps and post it..
OK. I think you don't understand what was the purpose of that image modification, despite I explained it.
I suspect you don't know me very well at all, but rest assured that I have as good an idea as any. One thing you can be sure of: what he took from Leo Fender he improved upon immensely. The same cannot be said for any of us with respect to Dumble's work.
OK. Well, yes, I don't know who you are, Gil. As I did not know the existence of Welagen as Dumble-like amp builder before yesterday when I found that famous picture to modify for my project view. And moreover you don't know me too.

I am an individual which built amps for himself, has nothing to sell and sells nothing. All the topics that I have posted are my personal releases or modifications, one-of-a-kind, not clones, and I do not imagine selling any of them. It is participation and sharing, nothing else. This is by the way stated on my small website.

I was interested to built a Dumble-like amplifier with some special features that I wanted to integrate, and studied if it was possible to acheive it nicely. That was the main reason of my re-posting since my subscription to that forum in 2011 or 2012, I can't remember exactly now.

My apologies :? for that stupid misinterpreted picture incident.

In addition I even have been suspected on one of my topics by stevenM to do "abusing promotion of my products" on that website :lol:. And now I wonder if I am not fronting some kind of "dogmatism", reading your last replies here, at least that's what I feel...

OK. That's enough. I disturb :( . So I do not insist further and leave :arrow: .

Maybe one day there will be on my small website my famous Overdrive Special Reverb by Guilhem, when I will find the time to built it, who knows ?

Good bye to All and good luck :wink: !
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I believe the image was a misunderstanding which was rectified on some level by the OP. Modifying someone else's image and posting it as your own is a little sketchy, but it was explained. If I wanted to mod an image to see if a reverb knob would fit, I would not replace the original maker's name with my own, but...Maybe it's a cultural difference?

Then the fact that the OP has not researched the forums to identify some of the members and their contributions. It's not hard to figure out who Gil or Jelle or anyone else is for that matter.

Then the thin skinned response to comments about the small mis-steps results in "I'm leaving". This type of scenario gets replayed fairly often. IMO, the OP should apologize, use this as a learning experience, and move forward in a positive way. Certainly doesn't justify 'quitting' or the overreaction.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
drew

Post by drew »

This man is a very skilled amp builder, evidenced by his recent topics showcasing his work. I don't understand all the ruckus over a photoshopped picture which was obviously done for proof-of-concept purposes, not to misappropriate anybody's work. Seems to me this is the kind of guy who should be welcomed here, not given a bunch of grief over nothing. I don't blame him for getting annoyed and wanting to leave, but I hope he reconsiders.