If I want to build a Dumble amp : which one ?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: If I want to build a Dumble amp : which one ?

Post by norburybrook »

drew wrote:This man is a very skilled amp builder, evidenced by his recent topics showcasing his work. I don't understand all the ruckus over a photoshopped picture which was obviously done for proof-of-concept purposes, not to misappropriate anybody's work. Seems to me this is the kind of guy who should be welcomed here, not given a bunch of grief over nothing. I don't blame him for getting annoyed and wanting to leave, but I hope he reconsiders.
That's exactly my take on it as well, however I'm newish sound here and have no baggage so to speak.

I have generally found the forum a very helpful and considerate place to be.

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

With commercial-appearing products, a blitz of promotional postings, and a faux commercial web site I can see it's easy to assume this new previously unknown TAG member is a business enterprise, or perhaps on the verge of becoming one. Use of photos from commercial sites, even for a hobbyist's mock-ups, should be done with attribution and or permission if they are posted here, IMO.
ayan

Post by ayan »

I agree with you. My point was not to grand stand anyone here, merely to convey my feeling that, to me, Dumble's work beyond Fender's is undisputed. Hopefully the OP will reconsider his untimely decision. At the very least, I'm sure he found something he can use, besides Jelle's picture that is.

Gil
vibratoking wrote:I believe the image was a misunderstanding which was rectified on some level by the OP. Modifying someone else's image and posting it as your own is a little sketchy, but it was explained. If I wanted to mod an image to see if a reverb knob would fit, I would not replace the original maker's name with my own, but...Maybe it's a cultural difference?

Then the fact that the OP has not researched the forums to identify some of the members and their contributions. It's not hard to figure out who Gil or Jelle or anyone else is for that matter.

Then the thin skinned response to comments about the small mis-steps results in "I'm leaving". This type of scenario gets replayed fairly often. IMO, the OP should apologize, use this as a learning experience, and move forward in a positive way. Certainly doesn't justify 'quitting' or the overreaction.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

tubelectron wrote:
I didn't think ANYONE would modify an image of one of jelle's amps and post it..
OK. I think you don't understand what was the purpose of that image modification, despite I explained it.
I suspect you don't know me very well at all, but rest assured that I have as good an idea as any. One thing you can be sure of: what he took from Leo Fender he improved upon immensely. The same cannot be said for any of us with respect to Dumble's work.
OK. Well, yes, I don't know who you are, Gil. As I did not know the existence of Welagen as Dumble-like amp builder before yesterday when I found that famous picture to modify for my project view. And moreover you don't know me too.

I am an individual which built amps for himself, has nothing to sell and sells nothing. All the topics that I have posted are my personal releases or modifications, one-of-a-kind, not clones, and I do not imagine selling any of them. It is participation and sharing, nothing else. This is by the way stated on my small website.

I was interested to built a Dumble-like amplifier with some special features that I wanted to integrate, and studied if it was possible to acheive it nicely. That was the main reason of my re-posting since my subscription to that forum in 2011 or 2012, I can't remember exactly now.

My apologies :? for that stupid misinterpreted picture incident.

In addition I even have been suspected on one of my topics by stevenM to do "abusing promotion of my products" on that website :lol:. And now I wonder if I am not fronting some kind of "dogmatism", reading your last replies here, at least that's what I feel...

OK. That's enough. I disturb :( . So I do not insist further and leave :arrow: .

Maybe one day there will be on my small website my famous Overdrive Special Reverb by Guilhem, when I will find the time to built it, who knows ?

Good bye to All and good luck :wink: !
Please don't leave, your work is very nice and a worthwhile contribution to this forum.
jestaudio

Post by jestaudio »

I've to admit I,m slightly bemused, on a section of the forum that is in large devoted to cloning the work of someone folk are getting their knickers in a twist :lol:
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

jestaudio wrote:I've to admit I,m slightly bemused, on a section of the forum that is in large devoted to cloning the work of someone folk are getting their knickers in a twist :lol:
You make a point that has been made repeatedly. If you read into the threads you will see it has been hashed out. I won't state any of the arguments, but the end result, IMO, is that there is honor among thieves. Taking from this forum for commercial gain crosses the line. For a moment, it appeared that's what the OP was doing until he stated otherwise.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
tubelectron

Post by tubelectron »

What I read here is disappointing and offensing.

Of course, you can read, understand, believe or suppose what you want.

Just try to search the web if you find some on my reputedly "commercial products" on sale : good luck. There's none, and that's a fact.

Amps or stompboxes building business is not my intention, definetly, because I don't care and I really don't need that to earn my living. I do it by challenge and fun. And if you consider that my releases would sell, I take this as a compliment , that's all.

But what I discover here is not challenge and fun, nor real constructive advice, but something hidden who looks like digressions, assertions, dogmatism, jealousy, behavior lessons...

How can I reconsider what, reading that purposes :x ?

Thanks again to the guys who congratulated me for my releases, and took my defense here :).

My account and my posts can be deleted.
If it works, don't fix it...
www.guilhemamplification.jimdo.com
ayan

Post by ayan »

I suspect at the end of the day a number of things seem to have piled up: individuality, potential cultural differences, intentions lost in translation (although your English is nothing short of excellent), etc. However, at the end of the day, I think most people here will be glad to have you around, and many have stated just that. If you feel offended because, to an extent, you ruffled a few feathers and people responded from that place, I hope you find it in you to just dust yourself off and put it behind you without expecting kid gloves. This place is a wealth of information and most people here are consistently very helpful.

Cheers,

Gil
tubelectron wrote:What I read here is disappointing and offensing.

Of course, you can read, understand, believe or suppose what you want.

Just try to search the web if you find some on my reputedly "commercial products" on sale : good luck. There's none, and that's a fact.

Amps or stompboxes building business is not my intention, definetly, because I don't care and I really don't need that to earn my living. I do it by challenge and fun. And if you consider that my releases would sell, I take this as a compliment , that's all.

But what I discover here is not challenge and fun, nor real constructive advice, but something hidden who looks like digressions, assertions, dogmatism, jealousy, behavior lessons...

How can I reconsider what, reading that purposes :x ?

Thanks again to the guys who congratulated me for my releases, and took my defense here :).

My account and my posts can be deleted.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

With all due respect, is it possible that there is a communication problem? Some of the comments, and reactions to them, don't seem to be inline with what was actually said.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
ayan

Post by ayan »

It seems likely to me.

G.
vibratoking wrote:With all due respect, is it possible that there is a communication problem? Some of the comments, and reactions to them, don't seem to be inline with what was actually said.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

There is definitely a communications gap here. Tubelectron has asked me to delete all of his posts and his account already so....what's done is done!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

his loss.

I also think there was a communication gap somewhere. Too bad.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
talbany

Post by talbany »

Sorry..This one deserved a little dirt tossing....In the post with the pic of jelles amp I read it as passed it over as his own even saying
Overdrive Special Reverb by Guilhem :
He knew where he got the picture
Jelle, are you "Mr Welagen" that Dumble-like amp builder ? I found this picture on the WELAGEN website, indeed.
He should have appoligized to Jelle in this post..It wasn't until he got a little dust thrown on him when he finally appoligized
My apologies Confused for that stupid misinterpreted picture incident.
IMO a little dirt thrown was not an overreaction but somewhat justified..Fess up appoligize dust off and move on..I know I have dusted myself off many!!..Many times here.. :lol: At some point I might have even deserved it :shock: ...HUMAN...

I really don't understand why he got so upset with Gil :? (communication gap)

I hope he reflects and reconsiders and returns and continues to contribute try to do right and not just BOLT!!. :D

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
xtian

Post by xtian »

Hmmm....makes me fondly remember my first Internet embarrassment. Was when I said, "low-Earth geo-synchronous orbit" in a forum on Bay Area's The Well. Well, well.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
rogb

Post by rogb »

talbany wrote:Sorry..This one deserved a little dirt tossing....In the post with the pic of jelles amp I read it as passed it over as his own even saying
Overdrive Special Reverb by Guilhem :
He knew where he got the picture
Jelle, are you "Mr Welagen" that Dumble-like amp builder ? I found this picture on the WELAGEN website, indeed.
He should have appoligized to Jelle in this post..It wasn't until he got a little dust thrown on him when he finally appoligized
My apologies Confused for that stupid misinterpreted picture incident.
IMO a little dirt thrown was not an overreaction but somewhat justified..Fess up appoligize dust off and move on..I know I have dusted myself off many!!..Many times here.. :lol: At some point I might have even deserved it :shock: ...HUMAN...

I really don't understand why he got so upset with Gil :? (communication gap)

I hope he reflects and reconsiders and returns and continues to contribute try to do right and not just BOLT!!. :D

Tony
Wish I had run off bawling into the sunset when a certain person gave it to me in the neck on my second post when using the C-word! Luckily I'm as tough as they come and can take it with a smile. I had no idea Nik had pirated the "pirates". I soon learned where all the hard work had been done to help his commercial success... Dumble Files.
Anyway, I would be wealthier, have better eyesight and more hair if I had bolted, damn :D
Although he did Photoshop Jelle's photo, his website is really good, but I am left wondering now if they are real working pieces of equipment, or just good Photoshopping?
We will never know now.