SSS #002 build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

CHIP

SSS #002 build

Post by CHIP »

Here's a few shots of my latest build.

I've been working on and off on this project for the last 2 years, it ended up being quite an undertaking, with many hours put into it.

Sounds great. Reverb is very nice.
The only issue concerning me is the filter section. The low section as far as I can hear dosen't have any effect. The high section gets progressively thinner and less volume as I turn the switch clockwise, then the last position seems to return to the same sound as the first position.

I've bypassed the inductor with a jumper from the 100k resistor to the 470k resistor and no difference.
I've check my wiring many numerous times between the layout posted by Aaron and also Mhartman's layout. Everything checks out.
Anyone know something I'm missing here.

With the filter section turn to the 0 position the amp sounds wonderful.
I'm very pleased with the results.

More shots to come
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smokebreak

Re: SSS #002 build

Post by Smokebreak »

That looks fantastic! Great work !
On my filters, the low effect is subtle, and affects the fullness of the sound, but again quite subtle.
I just had a visit with mine yesterday and the bright filter goes from too dark, to perfect, to too bright, then 3 more clicks of t waaaay too bright, but they are progressive.
I'm gonna end up redoing it with a closer range of caps in the "usable range", probably .002-.01
I hate to say it but I would check your wiring one more time. Maybe reverse engineer what you have built, and check that against the known good schemes/layouts.
I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a really fun amp to play.
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

I used a single layer 7 position switch on my filters. I notice Mhartman and Aaron used 2 layer switches. is that a problem?

I set my variac to 102 VAC according to hand drawn schematic and all my voltages were almost right to spec. except V1 which was about 25 VDC too high. So I replaced the 1k dropper to 4.7 k and used a 90k FET dropper since I didn't put in a FET circuit. (I felt I had no need for it).

Here's more shots,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Congrats Chip
Looks great
Nice job on the pcb boards
not sure about the switches, the ones I used look like yours and I had no problems

D
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Looks great! What it the larger tube in the middle of the pre amp section?
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

That is a can/multi section capacitor (mounted on the other side of the chassis).

Niki
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Synchu wrote:That is a can/multi section capacitor (mounted on the other side of the chassis).

Niki
Thanks a lot for the info. The multi section cap is used for larger values (20uf, 30uf, etc.) to save board space, correct?

Which value is the SSS#002 using on the can/multi section capacitor?