Want to Dumble mod a 1964 Fender Princeton with tremolo

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

denfox

Want to Dumble mod a 1964 Fender Princeton with tremolo

Post by denfox »

I am wanting to mod a 1964 Fender Princeton with tremolo. It is in original stock condition untouched. I want to do the Ultra Phonix mod or something like it if it is possible. Does anyone have any suggestions or links to information and how to do it? I am a newbie and appreciate any assistance.
ss
Colossal

Re: Want to Dumble mod a 1964 Fender Princeton with tremolo

Post by Colossal »

Yikes, unless your amp is in terrible condition, why would want to modify an all original, untouched 1964 Princeton? Surely if it is untouched and in good working condition, its vintage value must be significant?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but...
Gibsonman63

Post by Gibsonman63 »

I have a nice clean 1976 Stratocaster. In the early 1980's I thought it would be really cool to route it out and install a humbucker in the bridge position. I still have that guitar and have put the original pickups back in it. It did not make me play like Eddie Van Halen and now my guitar is worth substantially less.

Not to pile on, but your Princeton is perfect as-is for what it is. For what that amp is worth, you can built at least two or three modded variations.

I have been gigging with an original 1963 Princeton for the better part of a year. Instead of modding your very collectible amp, I would suggest finding the right pedal to drive it. I am using the Fulltone II with mine and it gives me the right amount of boost and drive to cut through for my style of playing. Green screamers and the DS1 and SD1 variants also work well. just find what works for you. You may play with different speakers as well, but keep the original. The other reversable mod is to order a new grill and baffle and shoehorn in a 12" speaker. I believe the baffel on that year amp was mounted using screws. I would go with the pedal route first. If you can't get there with the pedals, then maybe this is just not the amp you need to get the sound you want.
roknroll

Post by roknroll »

what a terrible idea to take something that is a thing of vintage perfection and hack it. Really bad idea.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I would advise against it as well, but it's yours. Do what you want.

It does seem a bit odd to mod THAT amp given that you don't really know what mod you want. Do you know what the UP mod is? I'm guessing not, since you are asking for details.

It is easy to want something other than what you have. Rest assured, there are many guys out there who wish they had your amp, as is.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Sorry to pile on, but a non-reverb '64 Princeton in the shape you describe, and unmolested, would sell on Ebay for about $1,000 to $1,500.

Doing what you suggest would decimate that $$value. So do yourself a big favor and don't lose several hundred bucks in the process.

If you must do it at least find a beater that has already had its value destroyed.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't a drive-by trolling. Anybody knows that butchering a dead stock vintage gem like the OP is claiming to have is going to get any amp builder's hackles up. He did post in another thread asking about the UP mod...