Gain staging

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

passfan

Gain staging

Post by passfan »

Has anyone checked the signal voltages through one of these ODS circuits. I'm getting no real output through a new build unless I start diming the stack and volumes. Voltages and bias is spot on. I'm looking for signal voltages through the gain stages.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
ToneMerc

Re: Gain staging

Post by ToneMerc »

passfan wrote:Has anyone checked the signal voltages through one of these ODS circuits. I'm getting no real output through a new build unless I start diming the stack and volumes.
What % taper pots are you using?

TM
passfan

Post by passfan »

Just standard taper pots ,off the shelf. With the gain and master at 50% this thing should be loud. I'm getting up to 6 volts of signal gain from V1a. By the time I get to V1b I'm lucky to have a volt. The pi is sending 12 volts max to the grids of my power tubes with everything dimed. I'm losing signal somewhere. If I want to hear it at all at 50% I have to kick all the boost circuits on. When I get a chance I'm going to compare it to my twin.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

check your shielded cables, problem I had
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I had exactly the same thing when I built my 100w Bluesmaste and it turned out to be a cold solder joint. Re flow the solder connections on the V1 pins.

Marcus
Structo

Post by Structo »

Check possible shorts in the shielded cable to ground.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
glasman

Post by glasman »

Typically you will see a minimum of 35dB at around 800 hZ and 45dB+ at 1.5kHz measured on the the output coupler of V1B. Assuming all controls are centered. Treble, Middle, Bass and the "Volume" controls (30% taper). Will be less for 10-15% taper pots.

This is measured from input to V1A (grid resistor input) to the output coupler of V1B.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
passfan

Post by passfan »

Thanks all. Gary , just what I needed. Hopefully I will get a chance to crack back into it soon.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

I'd suggest you investigate around the od relay and effects jacks. The wiring can be confusing to say the least. Throw a test signal and see where it is being lost

Having to dime the tone controls could also indicate a problem with the tone section and associated relays...
passfan

Post by passfan »

Thanks John , first thing I verified as the relay cards I bought were laid out backwards and I had to draw a conversion schematic. I suspect something around the pi as I plugged into the power amp in with a preamp and couldn't get any real output. I don't think it's biased correctly for some reason and its sitting at 48 volts to the cathodes. A twin is closer to 100 volts.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Sounds like you have isolated the problem, but around 50V on the PI is reasonable. You are forgetting that a Twin has a 12AT7 PI.
splgeo

Post by splgeo »

http://bmamps.com/Schematics/dumble/dumblenotes.pdf

alttie help with a voltage chart. PIC cathode here is around 60v. but 50v should be more the enough
passfan

Post by passfan »

martin manning wrote:Sounds like you have isolated the problem, but around 50V on the PI is reasonable. You are forgetting that a Twin has a 12AT7 PI.
youre right.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

Well after doing a comparison with my twin reverb I believe I have a bad OT right out of the box. I am driving a good 2.4 volts in both amps into the output tube grids. The twin is loud , the Dumble is barely audible. A primary winding comparison between the two shows the twin split closely between 72 ohms, and the Dumble spit at 15 versus 20 for a total of 35 ohms. I am going to do some further testing and eventually swap out the transformers before I get in touch with Webber.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

Brand new OT no good. Sounds beautiful on the vintage one out of the twin. Thanks to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump