Orange drop VS Chocolate drop

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sergio

Orange drop VS Chocolate drop

Post by sergio »

Hi, there are big tonal differences between Orange and Chocolate drop caps?
S.
ToneMerc

Re: Orange drop VS Chocolate drop

Post by ToneMerc »

The older CDE chocolate drops used the same "di-film" dielectric that was proprietary and thus was licensed from Sprague.

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Sergio, my understanding is that early Sprague PS series and the CDE brown drops are Kraft and polyester. You can tell the early Spragues by the funny hunch back shape. I have not seen those early Spragues in any real Dumbles or photos but obviously I have not seen every Dumble amp. I like the sound of those brown drops, they are not round and thumpy like orange drops. They seem brighter but not harsh. Maybe good for 70s circuits. I think the Spragues are part of the big mid range sound of the 80s amplifiers. I have been using the brown drops for Fender builds and they work great.
CW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sergio

Post by sergio »

Thanks guys , I really appreciated!
S.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Can you guess why I called this build from a few years back doo doo brown!

http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=20258

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

TM, how did you like the sound of those caps in that circuit? Also, i am curious about the trimmer in the OD section.
CW
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Charlie Wilson wrote:TM, how did you like the sound of those caps in that circuit? Also, i am curious about the trimmer in the OD section.
CW
That's a 70's circuit and those choco caps works well with it, edgy but not harsh in any manner. On the funky OD entrance; instead of the 1.2M resistor, I use a 560K or 680K and a 1M trimmer to tweak the amount of gain to taste.

TM
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks TM.
CW
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Is anyone in the forum interested in selling a few CDE chocolate drops? I am looking for 2x 0.1uF and 2x0.047uF

Or does anyone have a good source for buying those?
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I love those brown drops and just used a couple in a brown 5F1 that I was reserving a 60s brown frame Jensen for. Sounds great. I just ran across Fleabay looking at caps and there are quite a few brown drops listed right now. Expensive, but I think I saw the values you're looking for. I also saw a bunch of blue drops and a few green. I have a fixation with old drop caps. :D

David
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Blackburn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 pm I love those brown drops and just used a couple in a brown 5F1 that I was reserving a 60s brown frame Jensen for. Sounds great. I just ran across Fleabay looking at caps and there are quite a few brown drops listed right now. Expensive, but I think I saw the values you're looking for. I also saw a bunch of blue drops and a few green. I have a fixation with old drop caps. :D

David

Hi David, thanks for the reply. I've looked all over and unfortunately cannot seem to find the values I am after. I will keep trying :-)
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 am
Blackburn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:59 pm I love those brown drops and just used a couple in a brown 5F1 that I was reserving a 60s brown frame Jensen for. Sounds great. I just ran across Fleabay looking at caps and there are quite a few brown drops listed right now. Expensive, but I think I saw the values you're looking for. I also saw a bunch of blue drops and a few green. I have a fixation with old drop caps. :D

David

Hi David, thanks for the reply. I've looked all over and unfortunately cannot seem to find the values I am after. I will keep trying :-)
Here are .047uf....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NOS-Vintage-M ... SwuLZY6ZUJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mallory-05- ... SwA3dYGOzG

And .1uf....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-NOS-Mallo ... Sw~AVYsvHX
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Blackburn wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:18 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:10 am

David

Here are .047uf....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NOS-Vintage-M ... SwuLZY6ZUJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mallory-05- ... SwA3dYGOzG

And .1uf....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-NOS-Mallo ... Sw~AVYsvHX
Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I just snatched them ;-)
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Is anyone in the forum interested in selling a few CDE chocolate drops? I am looking for 2x 0.1uF and 2x0.047uF
Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I just snatched them)
You did notice those are all Mallorys, not CDE?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

sluckey wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:04 pm
Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I just snatched them)
You did notice those are all Mallorys, not CDE?
Thanks for the note

Yes I saw, but since I have exhausted my opinions on the CDE and really cannot find the values I need I will give them a try versus the new production orange drops 6PS and see if I like the Mallory's better

Do you have any experience with them?