Any current-mfg Jensen speakers worthwhile?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Any current-mfg Jensen speakers worthwhile?

Post by mlp-mx6 »

I am able to get them relatively inexpensively. With the full knowledge that the target speaker for *my* tone is a Celestion G12-65, I'm still wondering if anyone has experience with the current Jensen speakers, and if any have a good tone, even for an ODS-style amp.

Thanks for your opinions, folks!
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
brownnote

Re: Any current-mfg Jensen speakers worthwhile?

Post by brownnote »

The Jet Alnico Blackbird is worth checking out.
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

I'd like to hear anyone's experiences with the Neo line. My back isn't getting any stronger with age :oops:
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I play the Jensen 12" Neo in a 1x12" cab with an oval hole in the back. Sounds great with all kind of amps (Fender, ODS, Marshall). Maybe not the best cab for wicked downtunings. Before I put the Neo in this cab I used it in my Deluxe Reverb II combo. Sounded good there as well.

My modded Bandmaster has 3 Jensen 10"s. I like them as well but I had to voice the amp a bit to accommodate them better (I lowered the bright cap on the master volume from 47pf to 10pf).
hipbluescat

Post by hipbluescat »

Darkbluemurder

Any infor on the Blackbird ?
Structo

Post by Structo »

I put two Tonkerlites in my 2 x 12 cab.
Tiny magnets on those things.
BIG weight savings.
But the jury is still out on whether I like them better than the WGS V30 and CL80 I had in there.
They aren't as bright as the clones but seem to work for the D'Lite 44 I am running into them.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Firestorm

Post by Firestorm »

Back to the topic -- I use the C12N's in Fender-style combos and like them a lot for that particular application. I also think the new Jensen Alnicos sound better than 75% of the originals (but, perhaps only because the originals are totally beat by now). I do like the Neos in applications where you aren't counting on speaker distortion for part of the sound (so I guess I wouldn't use them in a low-power blues amp, except to clean it up). Haven't used the Blackbirds, but would be interested to hear from all who have done.
JimiB

Post by JimiB »

I love the Jensen neo12-100 fwiw
markmalin

Post by markmalin »

mlp-mx6 wrote:I am able to get them relatively inexpensively. With the full knowledge that the target speaker for *my* tone is a Celestion G12-65, I'm still wondering if anyone has experience with the current Jensen speakers, and if any have a good tone, even for an ODS-style amp.

Thanks for your opinions, folks!
Like brownnote said, the Jensen Jet Blackbird is worth trying. I've been talking with CD Dist and plan to get one in to test. They're supposed to be close to the Celestion G12-65, from what I remember. I could be wrong, but in any case I'm looking forward to trying one out.

Mark.
"...there are flying v's and then there are the ones shaped like peanuts..." - my son at age 9

Malin Amplification - Boutique Amps
www.facebook.com/MalinAmplification
@MalinAmps
mojo

Post by mojo »

Another pretty satisfied Neo user here. Very neutral sounding speaker. Perhaps a slight treble edge, but not problematic. Haven't compared to other neodymium speakers. Not easy to breakup, not much "character" to the sound, represents the actual sound of the amp pretty well.
Let that boy boogie woogie.
heisthl

Post by heisthl »

mojo wrote:Another pretty satisfied Neo user here. Very neutral sounding speaker. Perhaps a slight treble edge, but not problematic. Haven't compared to other neodymium speakers. Not easy to breakup, not much "character" to the sound, represents the actual sound of the amp pretty well.
Are you saying Jensen? Or Eminence? Or Celestion?
Former owner of Music Mechanix
www.RedPlateAmps.com
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

I have 3 year old Jensen (Recoton) C12N's in a Fender Twin and they are not bad for that application but I disliked them with my HRM. I heard a 2x12 Blackbird loaded cab and thought it sounded good- even tempered and warm with good note definition. I Did not get to demo it for long so this is just an initial impression.
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com