Has anyone tried the Roland Blues Cube with the Robben Ford?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Has anyone tried the Roland Blues Cube with the Robben Ford?

Post by Mark »

I'd imagine this would be as close as you could be to actually playing through R.F. amp.

I wonder how they compare to the Dumble #0102?

Look forward to reading your experiences.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jelle

Re: Has anyone tried the Roland Blues Cube with the Robben Ford?

Post by jelle »

Yes, who has played both? :lol:
glasman

Post by glasman »

jelle wrote:Yes, who has played both? :lol:
Probably Scott Lerner or David Henderson.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
glasman

Post by glasman »

Doesn't sound anything like the tone I heard with Robben in concert last year. His dumble is FAT sounding, the BC is a bit Flat sounding, deminsionless.

Let see if RF starts touring with one.....

www.glaswerks.com
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Wow, $700 for the amp, and another $300 for the RF capsule. That seems steep...
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Wow, $700 for the amp, and another $300 for the RF capsule. That seems steep...
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
glasman

Post by glasman »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Wow, $700 for the amp, and another $300 for the RF capsule. That seems steep...
I dont disagree on that one.

I didn't look to see what other "plug-ins" they offered. Kinda (in principle) reminds me on the Seymour Duncan convertibles from the the 80's.

www.glaswerks.com
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Not quite like the convertible plugin module:

Considering the Blues Cube is 100% SS, I am wondering if it's modeling amp, and the "plugin" is nothing more than a RAM chip with a bit of modeling code in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lou Rossi Designs
and Schematic Capture
glasman

Post by glasman »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Not quite like the convertible plugin module:

Considering the Blues Cube is 100% SS, I am wondering if it's modeling amp, and the "plugin" is nothing more than a RAM chip with a bit of modeling code in it.
Probably, if you look at the pseudo tube, you can almost make out the EEPROM in there.

www.glaswerks.com
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Modeling for sure. It's got a DSP in it. There is a lot of marketing going on. They claim they replicate the Tweed circuit with multi-channels, DSP, etc... :roll:

Modeling has come a long way and there are quite a few good solutions...and they are getting better. Roland has a lot of competition on this one including Line6, Fractal, Kemper, etc... Of course, The utube clips sound good, but Robben and Eric sound pretty damn good through anything that's decent. I didn't hear anything remotely close to the classic 102 tone in Robben's demo, but I didn't hear it the last time I saw him and he was USING 102.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
ayan

Post by ayan »

vibratoking wrote:Modeling for sure. It's got a DSP in it. There is a lot of marketing going on. They claim they replicate the Tweed circuit with multi-channels, DSP, etc... :roll:

Modeling has come a long way and there are quite a few good solutions...and they are getting better. Roland has a lot of competition on this one including Line6, Fractal, Kemper, etc... Of course, The utube clips sound good, but Robben and Eric sound pretty damn good through anything that's decent. I didn't hear anything remotely close to the classic 102 tone in Robben's demo, but I didn't hear it the last time I saw him and he was USING 102.
I think everyone makes a valid point here. The interesting thing is, the last few times I have seen RF playing through his 102, it doesn't sound like RF playing through his 102. I am not making this up... "The golden tone era" seems to be long gone, and I would suspect by RF's choice.

Gil
Mark

Post by Mark »

The bottom line to us here is does it sound good regardless of our tube amp bias?

I agree it is likely to be a modelling amp, my only reference for modelling is my Pod Farm 2, the current version is 2.5, bearing that in mind this version is amp like at best, I've found the attack isn't right nor does the Pod Farm feedback like a conventional guitar amp. Do you think these concerns have been addressed in the world of amp modelling?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Well, modelling has come a long way since it's early days and certainly the past two years has seen a big jump in what's possible with the likes of Kemper, Fractal and line 6 helix, (and S-Gear from just a software perspective)

Modelling can re create the sound of a Mic'd amp and do it so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I doesn't re create the sound of standing in the room next to you amp. If you're recording or using a mic'd rig on a gig then modelling can give you that.

With regards top feedback; as long as you have your sound coming back at you from a monitor then if it's loud enough to excite the strings then it will react more or less the same.

In the studio I if I want that kind of interaction I just turn up the monitors in the control room and stand close enough and your guitar will feedback with the right gain :D

I've been using a Kemper for about 4 months now and I've profiled all my amps. I've been pleased with the results in the studio , and also the ease of which I can record without any set up time and sometimes more importantly worrying about levels and spill when recording other live instruments/vocals at the same time.

Marcus
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

P.s.

Here's a solo from a recent Blues big band album I played on, this is just a rough rhythm section clip .

Artist wanted a sort of SRV type vibe so I used a 50's fender jap strat with huge frets, custom shop Texas special pickups through the Kemper using;

Ceriatone SSS through Marshall 4x12 Kemper profile with kempers own profiled tube screamer in the first FX slot.

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe/just-one-life-solo

Marcus.
drew

Post by drew »

Robben demoing it at NAMM: https://youtu.be/de4SW41qbzw

Just clean stuff, no OD. Pretty sure he could sound like this through anything. But I hope he's making a few beans off this deal.