UP dumble for sale

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Smokebreak

Re: UP dumble for sale

Post by Smokebreak »

I made a clip a few weeks ago of my VR. I was really trying to demo my new partscaster and some silly switching, but as I watch it now, the amp sounds good to me and it was the day I combed over the HH pics.

This is the hot channel and the tone stack is 500p treble cap and 1M bass pot. I've still got the 1u pres cap on a switch, and it is off in this clip, but the 100p bright cap on the regular volume is on. Amp is halfway up and this is when I had the MV between the mixers and PI cap, which is .015 in my amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznDpOz4JlU
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Here's a clip from today. The treble cap is 250p , bass pot 500K ,the presence is on and bright is off. https://youtu.be/EqhK0C4Q3uE
bcook

Post by bcook »

Here's a couple of higher resolution pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Those are great!!! Thanks for posting!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Whoa! Those are huge. Thanks!

Hey Jelle, is your drawing based on a Twin you observed, or the pics of the VR, applied to a Twin?

In the pics, all the PI caps appears to be .02 , and it may just be a typo, but it looks like the presence cap is labeled .1u , but pics look like 1u.
Also are you guessing on the hot side treble cap and bass pot? Just curious...I was thinking it could even be that ol 330p treble cap value ;)

I totally missed it on your drawing notes, but I just realized the VR probably had El34s, or at least was capable of running them 8)
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I've listened to a few of the videos on the Ultraphonix / Hotel Hog. Is it my impression or this is an amp for more overdriven/crunchy sounds than cleans?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Bombacaototal wrote:I've listened to a few of the videos on the Ultraphonix / Hotel Hog. Is it my impression or this is an amp for more overdriven/crunchy sounds than cleans?
Sure, but I don't think the cleans can be overlooked. I think the idea is that it should clean up well with the vol knob on your guitar, and also, when the amp is set clean, it's a bigger/fuller/richer clean than your stock Fender cleans.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Smokebreak wrote:
Bombacaototal wrote:I've listened to a few of the videos on the Ultraphonix / Hotel Hog. Is it my impression or this is an amp for more overdriven/crunchy sounds than cleans?
Sure, but I don't think the cleans can be overlooked. I think the idea is that it should clean up well with the vol knob on your guitar, and also, when the amp is set clean, it's a bigger/fuller/richer clean than your stock Fender cleans.
Thanks for the reply! By "when the amp is set clean" you mean without the boost or on the lower gain channel? How does the clean compare to a Vibroverb Diaz for example which has the Solid State rectifier and the 220 filters along with some other gain mods?
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Bombacaototal wrote:
Smokebreak wrote:
By "when the amp is set clean" you mean without the boost? How does the clean compare to a Vibroverb Diaz for example which has the Solid State rectifier and the 220 filters along with some other gain mods?
I mean by how the gain(volume) knob is set, usually somewhere between 1-4, so the preamp is not distorting(much) when the guitar's volume is on 10.
I don't remember what the Diaz mods are off the top of my head but SS rect will increase overall voltages and 220uf makes for a pretty stiff amp, which may or may not be to one's liking.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Smokebreak wrote:
Bombacaototal wrote:
Smokebreak wrote: Sure, but I don't think the cleans can be overlooked. I think the idea is that it should clean up well with the vol knob on your guitar, and also, when the amp is set clean, it's a bigger/fuller/richer clean than your stock Fender cleans.
By "when the amp is set clean" you mean without the boost? How does the clean compare to a Vibroverb Diaz for example which has the Solid State rectifier and the 220 filters along with some other gain mods?
I mean by how the gain(volume) knob is set, usually somewhere between 1-4, so the preamp is not distorting(much) when the guitar's volume is on 10.
I don't remember what the Diaz mods are off the top of my head but SS rect will increase overall voltages and 220uf makes for a pretty stiff amp, which may or may not be to one's liking.
Got it! Thanks a lot for the reply
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Switching gears once again, it is reasonable to assume that the storied Overdrive Deluxe amp, that is current being cloned by a handful folks, has more in common, topology wise, with the Hotel Hog, than it does a 2nd/3rd gen type topology? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1mrbqyEyw
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Was there ever any solid documentation or has anyone ever actually seen or gone inside a Hotel Hog ? Word was only a couple (less than five or so) were supposedly made. I've never even seen a picture of one, let alone know anyone who saw or played one. The late Steve Bruton owned one. No idea where it went when he passed or if it was sold before he passed. Never even heard a description of the circuit, nothing..

That Overdrive Deluxe video has been sailing around for some time with many speculating Howard didn't make it (I think Mitch Colby asked him and he said he didn't make this amp)..
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:Was there ever any solid documentation or has anyone ever actually seen or gone inside a Hotel Hog ? Word was only a couple (less than five or so) were supposedly made. I've never even seen a picture of one, let alone know anyone who saw or played one. The late Steve Bruton owned one. No idea where it went when he passed or if it was sold before he passed. Never even heard a description of the circuit, nothing..

That Overdrive Deluxe video has been sailing around for some time with many speculating Howard didn't make it (I think Mitch Colby asked him and he said he didn't make this amp)..
Are the pics in this thread not a HH?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

I was under the impression the HH was a model unto itself like an Overdrive Special or SSS etc...not a mod..
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:I was under the impression the HH was a model unto itself like an Overdrive Special or SSS etc...not a mod..
Huh, I hadn't even considered that....but don't they all start as mods :P