Overdrive Deluxe - Fake?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mhartman

Re: Overdrive Deluxe - Fake?

Post by mhartman »

If it is a fake, please find me the name of the builder - it sounds wonderful. :mrgreen:
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

mhartman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:23 am If it is a fake, please find me the name of the builder - it sounds wonderful. :mrgreen:

I know right!

TM
steve2tube

Post by steve2tube »

Scumback Speakers wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 pm IIRC, Howard/Alexander used to put a colored sticker (blue/purple) with his sig & info on it for any amp he's modded. Of course, this info is 13 years old, not sure if he still does it.
Like this one?
Paythemancopy.jpg
I have a modified Deluxe Reverb I picked up in Santa Cruz in the 80's that I am curious if it was modded by Dumble. It is dated 9-27-76 and looks to have once had such a sticker on back:

The guy at the music shop had it in the back room without a speaker and told me it was owned by one of the guys in the Doobie Brothers. The switch in the rear adds a gain stage and master volume control also located on the back. Without the switch on, just the stock Deluxe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

My best guess would be to tell you to put pictures of the guts on here for those in the know to take a look :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
steve2tube

Post by steve2tube »

Here are a few shots, nothing much going on! I never diagrammed the circuit. Original caps etc, plan to update before turning it on again.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Do you know the exact schematic this is? It seems to have no vibrato, no roach, etc and is short a few tubes to be the more common ones I see that are DR's. (DR's with reverb and trem should have 6 preamp tubes, 1 per input (normal and vibrato) two for reverb send, and return, one used in the Trem circuit and one for PI. The one you show has 4, and doesn't seem to have the parts for anything but input, reverb and then PI.

I'm no fender expert by far though.

Also, it seems to have pretty stock resistors for plates, and for the caps in the circuit, I'm just not good enough to know for sure, without looking at a schematic, and I can't find one that matches this. What does the tube sticker say is the schematic version?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
steve2tube

Post by steve2tube »

Just a ab763..

Steve
flying_high

Post by flying_high »

Based on what I've seen, that's definitely not a dumble ultraphonic. Here's a pic of an ultraphonic bassman with clean on one side and mega plexi on the other. I think dumble always at least changed out the old caps and redid the grounds. I'm not sure if he did the mid-pot (back knob) on all of them.
UP Bassman.JPG
steve2tube

Post by steve2tube »

No big mods here, just gain and master volume when switched in, stock when switched out. Perhaps the owner didn’t want to lose the original value at the time. Could’ve been any amp tech around Santa Cruz at the time, though since the shop told me it once belonged to one of the Doobie Bothers, possibly Jeff Baxter and Dumble seemed to work with known players:

Michael Ross · 1998 · Music:
“Jeff Baxter, of the Doobie Brothers, used to play stadiums using only a Fender Deluxe Reverb (15 or 20 watts) facing him”
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Do you have any other info/pics on the Bassman Flying_High?
So, both channels are clean?

Aaron
flying_high

Post by flying_high »

Aaron wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 am Do you have any other info/pics on the Bassman Flying_High?
So, both channels are clean?

Aaron
I might have some pics on a computer around here somewhere. I sold it a while back so I might have the craigslist pictures still. It was a gain monster like a crazy hot rodded Marshall on the left channel and clean on the right channel. The mid control on the back was for the gain channel.
jumpbluesdude

Post by jumpbluesdude »

Yeah, a schematic would be reeeeally nice. I havent been able to find schematics on the ultraphonix amps. Only video demonstrations on youtube.
eBay: The place where a fool and their money part.
flying_high

Post by flying_high »

Finally. I was going through my old computer today and I found a higher res version fo the photo of the bassman ultraphonix.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Very cool. Thanks Flying High! :lol:
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Could possibly be La Tostada on the Bass channel, UP on the normal channel. I believe UP is a clean tone.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk