Indeed I will!
Bombacaototal

Re: MHartman SSS layout questions

Post by Bombacaototal »

Deleted
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was studying mr. Hartman's built vs the original #002. I noticed that besides some value changes here and there the main 2 differences are:
(i) V1 LNFB: #002 has 1M + .1uf between the cathode of V1A and V1B plate; Hartman has 4.7M+4.7M+.047+4.7M on V1A and 10M+.047+10M+10M on V1B
(ii) Dry/Wet signal mixing: #002 uses 2 tubes; Hartman uses 1 tube (like an Overdrive Reverb)

I was wondering which impacts these are having to the final sound and for those who built both which one gave the best result

I know Mayer himself finds the original #002 a bit harsh and brittle so maybe Hartman's improvements are the way to go?

http://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/joh ... iew-251957
Back to electrics, you have your Two-Rock and your Dumble amps on stage - how do you use them?

"I use the same amps in the studio as I do live. The Dumble is incredibly chesty, and strong and open and singing. The Two-Rock is like the Dumble but a little more refined, and together I think they make a really good combination - it's almost like one amp.

"The Two-Rock puts into the Dumble what the Dumble doesn't have, but man, the Dumble will SCREAM at you. The Dumble has this thing on top of it called a Smooth And Slim, I think it's called, and it's really sort of an attenuator, for the treble, and for the volume a little bit.

"So I just gotta take off that really harsh, kinda' tinny… I mean it's great for recording 'cos you can kinda' take it off in the EQ.

"So that's happening there, and then the Two-Rock is supplementing that to be a little bit smoother. It's sort of Fender-y, but I would also like to put a real Fender in there."
And this is the pedal he is talking about: http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/pg-ns9 ... link--aess

And here a pic of the amp with the pedal on top
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Gil Ayan??????????????? now there's a name we're all familiar with :D

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

When I built #002, I found it very bright. Actually too bright. A few tweaks to the filter circuit fixed it.
I think the values in the schematic are wrong, AFAIR the capacitors in the amp don't match the size in the schematic.

I remember reading a review of that pedal in Guitar Shop years ago.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm When I built #002, I found it very bright. Actually too bright. A few tweaks to the filter circuit fixed it.
I think the values in the schematic are wrong, AFAIR the capacitors in the amp don't match the size in the schematic.

Thanks Aaron, very insightful as always

The cap cathodes on the dry/wet mixing part of the circuit the blurry pic of the gut do look huge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I was just checking and if you compare the handwriting of the #002 and the schematic of the #002 (not taking Hartman design into account) there are indeed some discrepancies

Regarding the dry/wet mixing part of the circuit:

V2B and V3B have 1K to ground and not 100K
V3a has 5uF/25V and not 1uF
markusw

Post by markusw »

1k at the cathodes of V2B and V3B has to be a mistake.
Don't think that a 12ax7 will survive for a long time in this configuration.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

markusw wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 am 1k at the cathodes of V2B and V3B has to be a mistake.
Don't think that a 12ax7 will survive for a long time in this configuration.
Thanks for the feedback Markus

On the LNFB of Hartman design, is the switch on-off-on?

I am wondering if he uses either the one on V1A or the one in V1B, or if they both are meant to work together

Edit: I just realised its on-off-on and v1a and v1b are independent and not together
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm When I built #002, I found it very bright. Actually too bright. A few tweaks to the filter circuit fixed it.

I think the pdf schematic of #002 is also missing the 100k before the filter
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I'm wondering if you could clarify something for me, or at least give me our opinion on something.

Did you build the filter portion of the circuit as per the Japanese schematic or the May Contain Errors schematic? I built mine to the MCE and my filters didn't work properly, then I looked at the JSCH and noticed the 100k resistor between the 0.01uF cap and the inductor (I didn't use an inductor in my build) that is missing from the MCE. I added the 100k and my filters worked (well, the tone changed when I turned the switch).

So then I took another look at the JSCH after searching this site and it looks like the 3nF cap is not wired correctly on the MCE schematic. So I changed my wiring to match the JSCH and it was terribly bright. I preferred the "mistake".

Did you connect the 3nF cap as per the MCE or JSCH? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you change to make it suit your liking?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:49 pm
I'm wondering if you could clarify something for me, or at least give me our opinion on something.

Did you build the filter portion of the circuit as per the Japanese schematic or the May Contain Errors schematic? I built mine to the MCE and my filters didn't work properly, then I looked at the JSCH and noticed the 100k resistor between the 0.01uF cap and the inductor (I didn't use an inductor in my build) that is missing from the MCE. I added the 100k and my filters worked (well, the tone changed when I turned the switch).

So then I took another look at the JSCH after searching this site and it looks like the 3nF cap is not wired correctly on the MCE schematic. So I changed my wiring to match the JSCH and it was terribly bright. I preferred the "mistake".

Did you connect the 3nF cap as per the MCE or JSCH? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you change to make it suit your liking?
I don't know the answer but just to make things easier in the left pic the MCE schematic of the filter and on the right the Hartman. The first has 3nf and the latter 2nf

The wiring is indeed inconsistent and I am wondering the same; which is correct relating to the 3nf/2nf cap

It is clear that MCE is also missing 100k before the inductor
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Hey B, thanks for the reply. Take a look at the JSCH though. In my opinion it may still be different from the MCE and MH schematics. Take a look at the switch connections on the JSCH, it looks like the 3n cap goes from position 7 to ground, not the common point where all the caps meet to ground. What do you think?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The high filter on the MCE isn't supposed to have a join between positions 6 & 7. And yes, it's missing the 100k resistor.

@krinkle: I changed the capacitors before the filters.

Aaron
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

That's what I thought. I guess I'll delete the join between 6 & 7 and play around with those caps.