MHartman SSS layout questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

samsarod

MHartman SSS layout questions

Post by samsarod »

Hi,

I’m wanting to build a Steel String Singer clone, and will be using user MHartman’s layout, which I have attached I’m not sure if MHartman scans AmpGarage much, so I thought I’d post a few questions to the community here.

In addition to the MHartman layout, I also found the following pdf files on AmpGarage: “mhartman_sss_preamp_v11_482.pdf”, and “mhartman_sss_poweramp_v11_906.pdf”. They are apparently written by an “L.Victor”, and they contain a couple, just a couple, differences with the layout itself. There are also a couple of other handrawn schematics that say “MHartman” on them, but they have many differences to his layout.

With that stated, has anyone successfully built an SSS using MHartman’s layout?

Are all the pre-amp tubes in MHartman’s layout 12AX7’s, including the cathode driver tube (some models have a 12BH7 there)? I believe the output tubes are 6L6's as opposed to 6550's?

I haven’t found a post that explicitly states the pre-amp tube types for the layout, and the layout itself doesn’t state it either. This appears to be a layout of SSS #002?

Is there anybody making an SSS chassis (6 nine-pin, 4 octal tube holes) for hobbyists? I can live without that if need be. I have an old Dual Showman Reverb chassis and twin reverb power transformer. Just thought I’d ask.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
larsvictor

Re: MHartman SSS layout questions

Post by larsvictor »

Sam,

you can see and hear this amp on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-PctgbrjSg

Please feel free and write me a PM if you find any mismatches in the schematics.

Regards
Lars
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Yep. On the layout the reverb driver tube cathode connection to the board is missing and 4.7M resistor should be wired to the 10k resistor...
Schematics should have taken care of this.
Niki
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

Hi Niki,

Thanks. Good catch with the missing cathode wire in the layout.
I see a connection between the 10k and 4M7 resistor in MHartmans layout. Its the green jumper from pin 2 to 7 on the driver tube socket.

Lars
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest in this amp. I have attached a revised version of the layout (thanks for the feedback on this) and in pdf version so everything is crystal clear at 100% zoom.

For a bit of background, I built a couple of years ago when there wasn't much SSS info available. I originally built it with a standard Dumble Phase Inverter and then, after I had the amp running without issue (or so I thought), I rebuilt the PI into the SSS version seen here with the post-phase inverter driver. It took a bunch of experimenting to get it right (mostly due to some lacquer that flaked off of the PT and kept arching on me and turned out to be a red herring). Once I got the bias right and the post-phase inverter tube working right, I was psyched -- it sounded really glorious. I kept the amp and tweaked on it for six months or so and then sold it off to a musician named Ryan Jarvis, who gigs and records around LA. As far as I know, he is still enjoying it. I've built 3 SSS inspired amps now (including this one), each with a different design based on different Dumble SSS amps -- two 100w amps and one 150w -- I much prefer the 100w amps because they still have a little give to them and they are easier to lug around.

I hope that the updated layout helps!

Mike

BTW, the tubes are 12AX7 everywhere except V3, which is designed for a 12AT7 (or equivalent). That being said, you can do 12AX7 all the way across if you want a bit more reverb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thank you for the improved drawing Mike! Sourcing parts for this one now.

Sam, welcome to TAG. :)
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

No problem. Enjoy your build!!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

oh dear, I think this might be my next build...........................

Damn....I thought the Kemper would stop all this....

Can I ask where you get the filter switches, chassis and what's the reverb transformer ? (I presume a standard fender twin one)

oh and is there a schematic?

Marcus
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Filter switches can be had here in the US at Mouser...

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... R2511F-17S

I don't know about what to do across the pond. Maybe the link above will help a bit though.

Schematics that are referenced above are here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=90

*Edited to put the schematics in question on this post.
Last edited by dorrisant on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Dorrisant

mouser deliver to the UK via a European outlet, I use them a lot.

What about chassis? I presume it's a lot longer than the standard ODS

cheers

marcus
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

I am going to use one of these... Going to have to punch some more holes and reconfigure the layout a bit... but that just makes it more fun to me.

https://www.cedist.com/products/chassis ... -amplifier
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

larsvictor wrote:Hi Niki,

Thanks. Good catch with the missing cathode wire in the layout.
I see a connection between the 10k and 4M7 resistor in MHartmans layout. Its the green jumper from pin 2 to 7 on the driver tube socket.

Lars
Might be, will check what I did, layout and the schematics. :)
Niki
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

norburybrook wrote:thanks Dorrisant

mouser deliver to the UK via a European outlet, I use them a lot.

What about chassis? I presume it's a lot longer than the standard ODS

cheers

marcus
The chassis I used was 22.25". With that size, the can end up at 24", which is just about perfect in my opinion.

Mike
samsarod

Thanks everybody!

Post by samsarod »

Thanks to everybody ....especially Mike (MHartman)! Sorry if I pestered you a bit about it. I have just received my X-Mas gift of knowledge from you all!

I'll probably stick with the Dual-Showman Reverb chassis that I have. For now, the cab will be a semi-closed back 1X12" with an EVM-12L.

Woot!!

-Sam
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Right on Sam. Are you gonna post some pics and info on your bid? It's kinda the thing to do around here. :wink: