MHartman SSS layout questions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: MHartman SSS layout questions

Post by Bombacaototal »

Aaron wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:33 pm The high filter on the MCE isn't supposed to have a join between positions 6 & 7. And yes, it's missing the 100k resistor.

@krinkle: I changed the capacitors before the filters.

Aaron
Do you mean something like this (attached) as far as the join between 6&7 for the high filter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Yes, that's the way I see it in the JSCH.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Last edited by Bombacaototal on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I've been comparing the JSCH and MCE. There are several discrepancies but another thing I cannot understand on the JSCH is why on the high filter the .01 is in the middle together with the 1000pf and not at the end?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Should the 1st position on each filter (1st on the left) be:
a) high: .003 to ground
b) low: 39k

With the last position (7th, last on the right) being:
a) high: .01
b) low: 390k

Or is it the other way around
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I built from the MCE and my filter circuit is backwards. So I think it should opposite of the MCE. Somebody here posted a SIM of it in another thread and it is numbered correctly.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Krinkle wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:37 pm I built from the MCE and my filter circuit is backwards. So I think it should opposite of the MCE. Somebody here posted a SIM of it in another thread and it is numbered correctly.
Thanks a lot for the reply

By backwards do you mean, as you turn the step filter clockwise from bypass position (9 o'clock) do you have less or more (bass for low filter / treble for high)?
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

I built my Low filter with a 1MA pot as per one of the alternate diagrams here on TAG somewhere. The bass increases as I turn the pot to 0.

I built my High filter with the typical 7 position switch, and from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock it gets less bright each time I switch, until I get to the last position (bypass) at 3 o'clock, then it gets bright again. Keep in mind though that my bypass is wired as per the incorrect MCE, not the JSCH. When I switched over to JSCH (which I thought was too bright and didn't like so I put it back to MCE), I don't remember if the bypass position was brighter than the position just before it or not.

I am probably going to put it back to JSCH and play around with the 0.001 and 0.1 values (as per Aaron) to see if I can get something to my liking. I'll let you know when I do it.

I will be changing from a pot to a switch for the Low as well, because of what I mentioned above.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Thanks! It indeed helps

I think I am on the right direction

Attached I got the alternative version of the filter from MCE and matched/corrected against the JSCH

I think it is free of errors but let me know if you spot anything
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Bombacaototal wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:11 pm Thanks! It indeed helps

I think I am on the right direction

Attached I got the alternative version of the filter from MCE and matched/corrected against the JSCH

I think it is free of errors but let me know if you spot anything
I'll check it as I have to correct the schematic I am editing for my build. I'm going to order another switch and build it this way in my Bassman mod, just not sure how soon that will be.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Take a look at the version I posted this morning in the files section.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 pm Take a look at the version I posted this morning in the files section.
Nicely done, as usual, Martin
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Just noticed that on the Japanese schematic there is a note in japanese between "red" and 39k which means "turn to the right". Taking this into account it may be that that position is actually the first one

The writing close to the 390k reads "confused". Not a great sign, so assume errors?

The note on the high filter in katakana says "sprague" = .01uF
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

martin manning wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:33 pm Take a look at the version I posted this morning in the files section.
Thanks, I will check it out
Krinkle

Post by Krinkle »

Excellent. That will save me some time in my new build, thanks for sharing.