Lowest price Dumble clones in Europe?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

metalguy

Lowest price Dumble clones in Europe?

Post by metalguy »

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but who makes the lowest price Dumble clones in Europe? Something like Ceriatone but in Europe? Could be an independent builder as well?
sergio

Re: Lowest price Dumble clones in Europe?

Post by sergio »

The quality is not cheap!!

Merry xMas!!

S.
sergio

Post by sergio »

The qualità is not cheap!!

Merry xMas!!

S.
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

There's a company here

http://www.voltamps.co.uk
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Is there a manufacturers'/builders list somewhere in the forum? If not maybe it's a good idea to compile one.
The quality is not cheap!!
Provided that same components available online are used it comes down mostly to how much one charges for labor. There's absolutely no reason for an amp to cost 3, 4 or 5k except for some hype, myths and legends associated with it and labor overcharges which may include couple of mortgages and new cars for example together with a very large family support.
Looking at the guts of some overpriced amps it looks like build quality is not the reason for those prices because I've seen better builds from DIY-ers.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

If your highest priority is the lowest price, most likely you will get what you pay for. I've seen many cases where someone with little experience and little technical knowledge hangs out a web page and offers to sell amps. To generate business prices are often low to undercut established manufacturers, and this is possible for any product that uses off-the-shelf technology. You are right, given the same part quality, it comes down to the cost of labor, but be assured that a box of high quality parts can be turned into a low quality product. I fully agree that there are some builders who have built up some buzz and charge very high prices, but if there is nothing behind it those guys will not last very long. Charging a high price (and "high" is relative to comparable commercial products from large manufacturers) is the only way a small shop or one man show can survive, though. If the builder provides a high quality product, maintains a reputation to match, and perhaps has a few innovations of his own, then the price is fully justified.
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Low price doesn't necessarily mean low quality. Operational costs in different countries around the world are different. Of course it's also a question of demand and supply. If you have a quality products and marketed them very well (and that is even more important than anything else, provided there are many builders out there) then if you have high demand it's natural to raise the prices considering the limited quantity you can supply (if you're a one man factory).
However I'm convinced that many builders can supply good quality at lower price so it looks like in the end everything comes down to successful marketing. Truth is many people would prefer to spend more on a well known product than try an unknown one although it could be of the same quality.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

martin manning wrote:If your highest priority is the lowest price, most likely you will get what you pay for. I've seen many cases where someone with little experience and little technical knowledge hangs out a web page and offers to sell amps. To generate business prices are often low to undercut established manufacturers, and this is possible for any product that uses off-the-shelf technology. You are right, given the same part quality, it comes down to the cost of labor, but be assured that a box of high quality parts can be turned into a low quality product. I fully agree that there are some builders who have built up some buzz and charge very high prices, but if there is nothing behind it those guys will not last very long. Charging a high price (and "high" is relative to comparable commercial products from large manufacturers) is the only way a small shop or one man show can survive, though. If the builder provides a high quality product, maintains a reputation to match, and perhaps has a few innovations of his own, then the price is fully justified.
Ditto

TM
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

OK, let's put it that way. Which are those builders/companies in Europe that offer good but not overpriced quality D-style products?
I see only one recommendation so far which is not realistic.
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

http://www.howlinamps.com/ is another one. I bought couple of amps from them, before I became obsessive with building them :)

You can check Van Weelden as well. Not sure how it gets together with your views on pricing, though.

There is a Polish builder as well. Forgot the name, but a bit of google search should get you there.

....and what Martin said.
Really good D style amps require knowledge, experience and are labor intensive in terms of tweaking them to sound to their best. This translates to cost. I do agree, though, that the cost of labor vastly differs among EU countries.

Niki
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

metalguy wrote:I'm sorry if this has been asked before but who makes the lowest price Dumble clones in Europe? Something like Ceriatone but in Europe? Could be an independent builder as well?
Why can't you just purchase an amp from Ceriatone? Perhaps the cost of anything outside of local shipping offends you as well.

TM
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

Thanks for the links and suggestions.
Why can't you just purchase an amp from Ceriatone?
I don't want to deal with US companies and/or builders because of the shipping cost (yes, it's offensive compared to 30 Euro for 30kg from one end of EU to the other), VAT (in average 20% in EU) and taxes. I'd rather pay this kind of extra money directly to somebody in Europe. I'm also sure that "miracle" amps can happen here as well so it will be good if we can compile a list of companies/builders in Europe for future reference. If this will be considered as an advertisement then maybe it belongs to another section or moderators can just delete the topic.
brewdude

Post by brewdude »

I don't think Ceiratone is American.
metalguy

Post by metalguy »

It's Indonesian or something - still on the other end of the world and same even higher expenses may apply.
You can check Van Weelden as well.
An overdrive pedal for 660 Euro?? I can only imagine what an amp would cost...
Synchu

Post by Synchu »

Ceriatone is Malaysian.

Van Weelden - That's why I said, I am not sure how it will go along with your view on prices. It is still European company/builder and his amps are great.

Yet, to my understanding, this particular forum is not "end user" sort of place, i.e. players looking for gear and/or builders, advertising their products.
Hence, such a reference list of commercial builders would be more or less not very TAG style.

Good luck with your search,
Niki