Dumbleland for sale in my neck of the woods...

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

brentm

Dumbleland for sale in my neck of the woods...

Post by brentm »

http://patch.com/washington/seattle/sea ... ifier-sale

This is up at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. I've been to the shop numerous times, never seen a dumble. I've seen a recovered 59 Bandmaster in there, but mine was in a little better shape.

At $159,000 - you gotta be a cartel drug lord, famous musician, or a wall street tycoon... that survived the life....

Cool looking amp. Anyone know any history beyond what's told in the article?
telentubes

Re: Dumbleland for sale in my neck of the woods...

Post by telentubes »

I'm going to be in Seattle over the weekend. Might have to find the time to see this thing.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

brentm wrote:http://patch.com/washington/seattle/sea ... ifier-sale

This is up at Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. I've been to the shop numerous times, never seen a dumble. I've seen a recovered 59 Bandmaster in there, but mine was in a little better shape.

At $159,000 - you gotta be a cartel drug lord, famous musician, or a wall street tycoon... that survived the life....

I believe this amp was for sale a couple of years ago, if it's the same piece 56K was the asking price IIRC.

TM
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

I hope they have an armed guard there 24/7.....
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I wonder which guitar shop will get it next?
brentm

Post by brentm »

ToneMerc wrote:
brentm wrote:http://patch.com/washington/seattle/sea ... ifier-sale

I believe this amp was for sale a couple of years ago, if it's the same piece 56K was the asking price IIRC.

TM
I guess that's not a bad return on investment, if they can find a buyer at or near that price.

It looks single channel with no loop. I see a preamp output on the back, no input. Pre steel string singer?
brentm

Post by brentm »

I see it listed in Dumble's 1978 catalog. Although I didn't see the 150w on there.

I have a scrape of Rob Livsey's site on my local disk here... We need a community-managed content management system to put together the definitive list of dumble amplifiers, complete with all the gut shots. I know many of us here have bits and pieces of it, and they've been posted throughout various post on this board. We're only talking about roughly 300 amplifiers. It looks like Livsey's got about 58 of them documented at the time of my scrape.

I've been slowly doing something of the same for TR amplifiers on my site. It's in wordpress. Only because I have a collection of them on my local disk and no where to present them.

Putting together a collection of Dumbles with missing spots for the rest of the surviving amplifiers wouldn't be too difficult to start. I'd probably use Joomla or Drupal for the CMS. If I did this, I'd be willing to share the database and content backups for community redundancy, but it would need a big boost for the content from the users of this site... you guys have the most knowledge in your head that needs to be definitively documented.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

brentm wrote:Putting together a collection of Dumbles with missing spots for the rest of the surviving amplifiers wouldn't be too difficult to start...
Good idea. Another capture of R Livesey's site here: http://thesubjectmatter.com/dumblearchive.html
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

brentm wrote:
I guess that's not a bad return on investment, if they can find a buyer at or near that price.
Dumble is a "brand" now so you have to forget it's just an amplifier, it's a commodity and in some ways maybe should be considered modern art.

TM
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

"150 WATTS Ave."???
brentm

Post by brentm »

Mr. dB wrote:"150 WATTS Ave."???
We gonna rock down to, electric avenue..

It probably would have been better to say "average" rather than stop short three characters..
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Is this the amp: http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/produ ... d-special/
$159,995.00

Year: 1978
Condition: Excellent
Serial Number: 8
Watts: 150 watts
1978 Dumble Dumbleland Special
1978 Dumble Dumbleland Special. This is the real deal folks! A rare beauty that we are very excited to have here in our shop at Emerald City Guitars! Serial #8 of 10 of this model, rumored to have been originally built for Merle Haggard. This beast of an amp boasts 150 watts of power from a quartet of 6550 tubes and delivers big, glassy, hi-fi cleans and a crunchy, dynamic breakup. Massive transformers contribute to the Dumbleland Special’s huge sound with an attack that hits you in the chest like a ton of bricks. This amp is extremely articulate and responsive with unmatched clarity at any volume level. The 3-band EQ, plus high and low filters along with “Bright”, “Deep”, “Rock”, and “Accent” boost switches give you nearly limitless control over tone. The Dumbleland Special is and incredible, high powered masterpiece with an unrivaled sound! Includes custom flight case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

It seems John Mayer bought it

Does anyone have further info on the circuit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

The golden can is a double filter cap ?

Let me guess:
V1 for the preamp
V2 recovery gain stage for the filter section (100k output impedance - could be a cathode gain stage directly coupled to a CF)
V3 PI
V4 (is longer than a 12AX7 - 12BH7 ?) CF PT Driver

what do you think ?

Lars
brentm

Post by brentm »

Bombacaototal wrote:It seems John Mayer bought it

Does anyone have further info on the circuit?
Interesting that John Mayer scooped it up. I wonder how many are now in his possession.

This should get you started on the circuit. It looks like theres a couple extra filter controls on the 150w.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Jelle built a small special, he could probably give you more detail on what you might find inside this one.