124 Classic Tonestack for Sven

Post by ToneMerc »

Flies section: STICKY:124 low plate classic

http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=14346

TM
Sven

Re: 124 Classic Tonestack for Sven

Post by Sven »

Thank you. Thank you. If D means linear on Fender pots (dunno...), than this is the situation with values and tapers of the pots of the classic #124 (pre-skyline). Am I right (confirm, kindly - particularly as I have been told that Treble is actually LINEAR, while Middle and Bass are logarithmic - sic - which caused my doubt since a knowledgeable member recommended it so...):

Volume - 1M logarithmic (a.k.a. audio)
Treble - 250k logarithmic
Middle - 100k linear
Bass - 250k logarithmic
Level - 100k linear
Ratio - 100k linear
Master - 1M logarithmic
Presence - 2k linear

I did not see this layout on that thread... but nice to have it now.

Sven
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Sven wrote:Thank you. Thank you. If D means linear on Fender pots (dunno...), than this is the situation with values and tapers of the pots of the classic #124 (pre-skyline). Am I right (confirm, kindly - particularly as I have been told that Treble is actually LINEAR, while Middle and Bass are logarithmic - sic - which caused my doubt since a knowledgeable member recommended it so...):

Volume - 1M logarithmic (a.k.a. audio)
Treble - 250k logarithmic
Middle - 100k linear
Bass - 250k logarithmic
Level - 100k linear
Ratio - 100k linear
Master - 1M logarithmic
Presence - 2k linear

I did not see this layout on that thread... but nice to have it now.

Sven
You are welcome.

TM
talbany

Post by talbany »

Thank you. Thank you. If D means linear on Fender pots (dunno...)
Sven
The pots that do not say Aud on them are well linear..2-35 indicates the pots spec tapers! 35 indicates 35% so these are obviously audio taper pots.
btw..Since I have indicated the pot numbers you can Google the codes and will quickly find the tapers.. A quick Google of "Fender pot #021873 100k" (Level-ratio) came up that Fender used this as a reverb pot,which was a linear pot :D
kindly - particularly as I have been told that Treble is actually LINEAR, while Middle and Bass are logarithmic
As far as the treble pot goes?..That pot simply acts as a mixing pot between the Bass and treble frequency's..Turn it up and you get more signal coming from the treble cap..Turn it down and you get more signal from the bass control..The mid control sets the ground reference of the stack (through the mid cap)..As you lift the stack further from ground you increase the mid content (and gain)..

IMO it really doesn't matter that much what taper the treble pot is, other than where you want to see the pot set at relative to the mixing of Bass/treble content.
Also if you study and better understand how the stack and gain stages function will naturally help you to better determine the impact and functionality of an A vs B type pot..Not a sermon? just sayin

if you want to do it like the man did he liked to use 250KA 2-35 for treble mixer

Tony :D :
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"