AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by Bombacaototal »

I am wondering if anyone can tell me the make of those brown capacitors used in some parts of the Two Rock built? Are they NTE or CDE? Do they compare sound wise closer to a vintage Mallory chocolate brown drop or more towards a 6PS orange drop?

Also wondering what is the make of those dark blue cathode capacitor used on the reverb which have an arrow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arjepsen

Post by arjepsen »

Hey guys - I'm looking over the layout posted in the start of the thread, and I'm a bit curious about the placement of the gain pot.
Putting it all the way over on the left seems to run the signal wires for quite a long way.... a bit contradictory to how I alsways seem to read a golden rule about trying to go for shortest signal path, and keeping signal wires short.
Doesn't the length here just make it pick up extra noise?
Wouldnt it be smarter to put it next to the treble pot???
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I agree with you and I put the gain pot next to the treble on the 50 Watt that I built. I don't know if it made a difference, but I also thought it was a long run.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

This circuit is so stable it doesn't make any difference on the location of the gain pot.

Yes there are long wires with wiring the pots but I used coax with no issues after years of use with my amp.

Mark
Kelly's camera 070.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I would echo that sentiment. My amp is as quiet as a mouse even with everything dimed.

M
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Yeah from my understanding long runs are 'bad' but only if you don't use shielded cable. The longer the run, the more chance the lead can pick up noise, bit if it's properly shielded, it removes that problem. Look at guitar cables, they can and often are VERY long with the most sensitive part of the signal, the part amplified the most, but that cable, being shielded, makes it a non issue.

~Phil
[
tUber Nerd!
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

I personally like to drop the plate voltage to V1A to around 165vDC. Good trick for increasing the natural compression in the amp and making a pretty smooth amp just a tad smoother. Also, tends to give it a little more sweetness when the gain is cranked up. JM2C.

Also tweaking that 1M/68K voltage divider is a good place to start when voicing it for HB equipped guitars IMO. I typically just install a pair of trimmer resistors there and tweak until I like it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

dbeasley wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:16 pm I personally like to drop the plate voltage to V1A to around 165vDC. Good trick for increasing the natural compression in the amp and making a pretty smooth amp just a tad smoother. Also, tends to give it a little more sweetness when the gain is cranked up. JM2C.

Also tweaking that 1M/68K voltage divider is a good place to start when voicing it for HB equipped guitars IMO. I typically just install a pair of trimmer resistors there and tweak until I like it.

Hi, I was curious what setting with 68k/1M voltage divider you preferred when playing with humbuckers .

Cheers
Guy
caps8419

Post by caps8419 »

What brand preference for transformers do you guys use? Normal fender? Classic tone? Heyboer? Thanks!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Any of those have given very good results. Some swear old Fender iron sounds best; ymmv.
talbany

Post by talbany »

So this is basically an SSS axe Filters & CF Driver (002 also used buffers in the mixer section but I think only 002 used the tweed mixer)..
Contour is a VOX Cut control so there is NFB on the PI as well as on the grids (& V1) That's a lot of NFB (Is this amp a bit dark?).I would definitely experiment with the GNFB resistor to find which one sounded best in your amp.

The two things I would like to try is axe the contour and the master..You can always tweak the gain a bit at the 68k resistor off V1B.This would help open it up a bit I would think! (Blackface killer!)

Just my humble opinion :D

Thanks Taylor for the contribution really appreciated!!

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Blackface killer it is for sure! Hands down my favorite clean+reverb amp circuit. It's very forgiving in terms of parts selection as well. I'd wager you could build one with used pinball machine parts and it would sound good.

talbany

Post by talbany »

I agree! Most clean amps like this one are generally more forgiving on the parts..Preamp style overdrive amps are another story!..IMO

Seasoned Old Kiss pinball machine parts are the ones you want!. :shock: :D 8)
Tony
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

talbany wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:45 pm So this is basically an SSS axe Filters & CF Driver (002 also used buffers in the mixer section but I think only 002 used the tweed mixer)..
Contour is a VOX Cut control so there is NFB on the PI as well as on the grids (& V1) That's a lot of NFB (Is this amp a bit dark?).I would definitely experiment with the GNFB resistor to find which one sounded best in your amp.

The two things I would like to try is axe the contour and the master..You can always tweak the gain a bit at the 68k resistor off V1B.This would help open it up a bit I would think! (Blackface killer!)

Just my humble opinion :D

Thanks Taylor for the contribution really appreciated!!

Tony
Tony,

I messed about with that voltage devider as I felt it wasn't allowing enough gain. I also agree about the master. It's not a loud amp at all. I genereally have the master up full to get any kind of gig level from it. I have both the LNBF and global NFB on switches.

Marcus
talbany

Post by talbany »

Marcus
So with all the LNFB disconnected how would you compare it to something like a well oiled AB763 Vibroverb?..I already have a couple good sounding clean style amps ..Just wondering if I want to go here? :|
Masters never sounded good in Blackface amps anyway why would it work in this one?
IMO NFB loops and masters have a habit of sucking the life right out of an amp
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.