AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rccolgan

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by rccolgan »

The one I just finished building has around 430 on the plates which is around (+/- 5V) what I observed on a real TRJMsig. :D I'm unsure about 445 on Taylor's but it could be something else on that amp vs the others.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
nicosci

Post by nicosci »

That's very comforting to know Ryan.
Last edited by nicosci on Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

if it's any consolation I have 500 vDC on mine and it sounds amazing :)

M
nicosci

Post by nicosci »

norburybrook wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:59 am if it's any consolation I have 500 vDC on mine and it sounds amazing :)

M
If by consolation we mean there's a thread of your build. :mrgreen: Intriguing I will definitely look.

@rccolgan nvm, I see you found it right before I did hehe.

..Anyways I stared at my voltages again and said to myself its close, just play man, and it worked, the amp sounds better. Hehe.

EDIT: Hey @jazzbass / Franco - Is there a specific reason you went for the 1k5 / 22k /2k2 / power resistors config of Ceriatone instead of the AN 2k2/22k/2k2 ? ..But kept the 120k/110k resistors to the PI ?
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Sorry nicosci for the delay with which I reply but I have not followed the discussion until now, I was very curious about Rayan's study and I built the fourth JM :-).

There are many studies posted on TAG, many diagrams and in each one there are different components so I used them all comparing them with the Ceriatone layout which I believe produces excellent kits and amplifiers and, given that this is his job and he sells his products all over the world, I believe that his creations represent a safe source.
I'm aware that Nik started by copying TAG templates and that, according to many, he didn't share his experiences on TAG but......how many TAG users stopped posting their research or discussions on the site when they turned their passion into a profession?.

Each amplifier of the JM series that I have built is a unique thing, the result of many thoughts and the progress of all the thoughts made on TAG.

The one thing all these amps had in common was the malfunctioning reverb, I remember going crazy with the second build of which I unwrapped and rebuilt the reverb circuit many times until I discovered that I had a capacitor problem.
Another time I forgot a resistance to ground, another time I forgot a ground.....it happens :-) but only in amplifiers with reverb, who knows, maybe they understand that I don't love them.

Now I'm reviewing the latest build inspired by Rayan I bought the boards from while the chassis comes from Taylor Amplified Nation. I made the amp exactly like the "Fairfield" Layout and IMO it sounds very good but too "dark" for my Stratocaster and now I changed the bright switch with an ON-ON-ON one but it's only the first change :-).

One thing I'm sure, it's the second amp I make with a Two Rock type chiassis but it will be the last one......too small the space between the pots and the switches.

A hug. Franco
franco mezzalira
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

One thing I'm sure, it's the second amp I make with a Two Rock type chiassis but it will be the last one......too small the space between the pots and the switches.
If it helps to know, the NKK switches fit pretty well. The other part I needed to shop for was RCA sockets with a low profile to fit under the boards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

timrobertson100 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:53 pm
If it helps to know, the NKK switches fit pretty well. The other part I needed to shop for was RCA sockets with a low profile to fit under the boards.
Also if you bend down the 3 pins on the pots you will have more room.
Cheers
Guy
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi boys,

I was also thinking about using 16mm pots instead of the 24mm ones but I've decided that I don't need more than three switches in front of the amp, so I have more room to work. If I want to switch some other non-essential function while playing a song, I can always do it on the rear panel of the amp.

A hug. Franco
franco mezzalira
caesparza

Post by caesparza »

Hi everyone,

Starting my second build after a Marshall Plexi 18W that came great. I have a Twin Reverb 65 RI chasis with PT and Reverb Transformer. with a late 70's Ultralinear OT that I'm planning to use without the UL taps. The twin comes with an extra 12()7 tube. I was wondering if I should use that one for some extra functionality, any suggestions? or given the higher complexity of the build, should I stick to the original schematic and remove that socket?

Again, thanks to Taylor for his immense generosity sharing the schematic, and everybody that had worked on the circuit.
CE
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

caesparza wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:03 pm Hi everyone,

Starting my second build after a Marshall Plexi 18W that came great. I have a Twin Reverb 65 RI chasis with PT and Reverb Transformer. with a late 70's Ultralinear OT that I'm planning to use without the UL taps. The twin comes with an extra 12()7 tube. I was wondering if I should use that one for some extra functionality, any suggestions? or given the higher complexity of the build, should I stick to the original schematic and remove that socket?

Again, thanks to Taylor for his immense generosity sharing the schematic, and everybody that had worked on the circuit.
CE
I would build the amp and get it working as it is described here first.
Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Guy
timrobertson100

Post by timrobertson100 »

I agree with Guy. It is a beautiful, clean amp.

If on the other hand, you know from the offset that you want overdrive, perhaps look to something like the CRS thread for inspiration, which is on my wish list to build.

If you really want to see all holes used, maybe just parallel a triode?
caesparza

Post by caesparza »

Ok guys, thanks for your answers.

I'll stick to the original plan and build the amp. I don't want to think about relays switching right now. I read on some other threads about a built in dumbleator having a positive result in the overall sound of the amp, with the added benefits of the improved effects loop.

I had some time this weekend so I prepared the boards. It's looking like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caesparza

Post by caesparza »

Hi,

Recently I acquired a late 80's Fender "The Twin" which has a double pot BIAS calibration system that works pretty well for setting the value and balance between the push-pull sections of the power amp. I would like to implement that type of topology on the amp.

On the photos you can find 1) The Twin Reverb 65 RI Bias method, then 2) The Wonderland one (both of these with single coarse control to set de BIAS voltage value). On the next photo you can find 3)The Twin double control BIAS adjustment and finally 4) The one I think would build on the amp. (The two lower 5K resistors should be 10K each one, or use a single one 5K attached to both controls if I'm not wrong).

In fact I was thinking about individual controls for each power tube, since I'll be using some old 6l6WGC (strong tester readings), but lost one of the quartet I have. So I will have to replace that one with wathever I'm able to find.

Does the thing make sense?

Another addition I was thinking was a half power switch and a pentode/triode one, has anybody added that to the amplifier? I think those are minor changes that doesn't affect the essence of the amp.

Thanks for the help.
CE
dbharris

Post by dbharris »

Personally, I would not bother with a half power or a triode switch. This amp sounds great at low volume settings as is.

-Dan
caesparza

Post by caesparza »

Is there a particular reason for the ground points marked as Ground at Send/Receive? Where is located that ground point?

I was thinking on grounding all filter caps at the same point.