AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

amplifiednation

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by amplifiednation »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:What do the two DIRTY switches on the back panel do? I don't see them in the layout.
They turn off the feedback loops. They are not in the layout.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I built one using the schematic that is on TAG and I hated to sell my amp it sounded so good but the owner loves it.

Great video Taylor.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Can you point to that schematic, Mark?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'm sure there are differences on PS and resistor values.

My thread: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21917

Schematic: http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=30389
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Ah yes, thanks!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Hey Taylor,
For someone who has built a lot of those, do you have a preference for, or hear a big difference between the 100 watt and 50 watt? Thanks again for your contributions!
TNT
amplifiednation

telentubes wrote:Hey Taylor,
For someone who has built a lot of those, do you have a preference for, or hear a big difference between the 100 watt and 50 watt? Thanks again for your contributions!
TNT
Normal 100w/50w differences. 100w more full and more headroom

I prefer the 100w...the reverb circuit attenuates the volume slightly so the 50w acts more like a 35w
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Thanks!
AtomCap

Post by AtomCap »

Have you tried this pre with a 4x KT88 or 6550 power section just for a tad more punch?
BarryW

Post by BarryW »

I'd like to add my thanks Taylor, you are an extremely helpful guy and I really appreciate all the assistance. I've built one of these using Taylor's chassis, and it is excellent. it's one of the nicest Amps I've ever played in my life and I use it regularly and one of my bands.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

M Fowler wrote:I'm sure there are differences on PS and resistor values.

My thread: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21917

Schematic: http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=30389
First of all thank you very much for sharing Taylor. It is always great to see your contributions. I also really dig the sound on the video and built quality is top

I noticed several differences between yours and the layout that has been circulating. Pot values, treble cap, additional caps on the deep switch, PI cathodes, presence resistor, cap on the contour and most surprisingly the NFB resistor value, just to name a few

One thing that always intrigued me about the other layout that has been around is that it apparently is from a prototype John was using. The thing is that John was touring already with the final version of the signature model since end of 2007 and the chassis of the proto is signed 2009. So why would he have a proto in 2009 using the classic reverb signature chassis and faceplate given his final signature amp was already out. Anyone has a clue?

Taylor, I am curious if the amp you had was one of those limited edition signature amps he released?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't fuss over component brands or types when I build, I use what I have or what I like to source.

Build a new amp using what you have including new manufactured vacuum tubes then tune the amp until it sounds great.

If you only want one clone of a Trainwreck Express then yes go for it spend the time and money to clone exactly. If you only want one Dumble exact clone go for it.

I build way too many varieties of circuits to go that deep in cloning and it then ends my fun factor worrying about component brands.

Mark
amplifiednation

Yes the amp I had was the limited edition. My layout is 100%. I've built tons of these with all sorts of different parts. Focus on a good carbon film to use for the signal path, and quality electrolytics.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

amplifiednation wrote:Yes the amp I had was the limited edition. My layout is 100%. I've built tons of these with all sorts of different parts. Focus on a good carbon film to use for the signal path, and quality electrolytics.
Thanks for clarifying! So interesting that in the end the amp has a blackface tonestack with 100kb mid pot which in all fairness is quite similar to the 10ka. Even the treble cap is 250pF (.001 in series with 330pF). Also the V1 pin 7 at 213k with 471pF instead of 220k with 500pF
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

M Fowler wrote:I don't fuss over component brands or types when I build, I use what I have or what I like to source.

Build a new amp using what you have including new manufactured vacuum tubes then tune the amp until it sounds great.

If you only want one clone of a Trainwreck Express then yes go for it spend the time and money to clone exactly. If you only want one Dumble exact clone go for it.

I build way too many varieties of circuits to go that deep in cloning and it then ends my fun factor worrying about component brands.

Mark
Thanks for sharing your approach. I appreciate it