AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by norburybrook »

Tony,

I tend to have all the NFB in circuit. The difference for me between a classic fender is; the JM is smoother and the reverb is more controllable and lush on my amp. With the NFB it's really hard with a single coil guitar to get any dirt/OD from the amp unless you turn the volume to 10. With my fenders once you get to 5 it's starting to break up. I really don't think its an amp that needs a master volume. Isn't the master on this really a return level? which should be up full anyway.

For me the JM is probably the nicest clean/reverb amp I've played. That might not be for everybody however, I use it as my Jazz guitar amp, I play my D 'Angelico through it. I would us it as my clean amp 100% but I use the #102 as my main amp as it has the overdrive as well. The only negative I'd say is if you need a LOUD amp this isn't it.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

norburybrook wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 pm Tony,

I tend to have all the NFB in circuit. The difference for me between a classic fender is; the JM is smoother and the reverb is more controllable and lush on my amp. With the NFB it's really hard with a single coil guitar to get any dirt/OD from the amp unless you turn the volume to 10. With my fenders once you get to 5 it's starting to break up. I realty don't think its an amp that needs a master volume. Isn't the master on this really a return level? which should be up full anyway.

For me the JM is probably the nicest clean/reverb amp I've played. That might not be for everybody however, I use it as my Jazz guitar amp, I play my D 'Angelico through it. I would us it as my clean amp 100% but I use the #102 as my main amp as it has the overdrive as well. The only negative I'd say is if you need a LOUD amp this isn't it.

So are you saying the amp doesn't sound good played loud or that the amp just does not get loud..Which would be kind of strange because being a poor mans SSS this should get 'LOUD"

M
So are you saying the amp doesn't sound good played loud or that the amp just does not get loud..Which would be kind of strange because being a poor mans SSS this should get 'LOUD"
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

It sounds great at all volumes it just isn't a LOUD amp because of the reverb circuit.

Compared to a marshall or a trainwreck it's quiet for a 100w amp.

M
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Must be a perceived loudness thing because it is a subtle great sounding amp not a tear your face off type.

Stays clean very little breakup. Must be why the guy that bought it uses it in church.

Mark
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

M Fowler wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am Must be a perceived loudness thing because it is a subtle great sounding amp not a tear your face off type.

Stays clean very little breakup. Must be why the guy that bought it uses it in church.

Mark
Yep, that's why I don't think it needs a master.

M
Thewayfarer

Post by Thewayfarer »

What is recommended for the bypass caps in the preamp? I was looking for philips bc, but then I ran into 030, 021 different two letter combinations lik EN, K8, etc. are all of these the same thing?
dbeasley

Post by dbeasley »

Thewayfarer wrote:What is recommended for the bypass caps in the preamp? I was looking for philips bc, but then I ran into 030, 021 different two letter combinations lik EN, K8, etc. are all of these the same thing?
You can use just about anything. I prefer the Nichicon VX series - mostly because they are easy to find and inexpensive.

You can use just about anything in this circuit and I can assure you it will sound good if you stick with the schemo.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Any suggestions on chassis?

I'm kicking myself for not getting one when Taylor was selling them when he posted this layout (though I remember the timing was bad for me). I don't need the AN chassis (though I would love have a chassis that fit one of Taylors's suede cabs), but not quite sure of alternatives. Is there an ideal-sized project chassis?
caps8419

Post by caps8419 »

wyatt wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 am Any suggestions on chassis?

I'm kicking myself for not getting one when Taylor was selling them when he posted this layout (though I remember the timing was bad for me). I don't need the AN chassis (though I would love have a chassis that fit one of Taylors's suede cabs), but not quite sure of alternatives. Is there an ideal-sized project chassis?
Second this... would buy a chassis even if it's just blank without powdercoat and/or silk screening.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wattstubeaudio has blank 17.5x8x2.5 or 20x8x2.5 that I use a lot.

I always buy at least one chassis cover plate to use as my chassis mounting guide.

Mark
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 pm Wattstubeaudio has blank 17.5x8x2.5 or 20x8x2.5 that I use a lot.

I always buy at least one chassis cover plate to use as my chassis mounting guide.

Mark
I think I found another possible solution here, would save me some time with the nibbler to get an IEC and PT knocked out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Amp-Chas ... SwZVlXvF8E

I could borrow a drill press for the rest, and I have Greenlee radio socket punches.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That chassis would work.

The IEC isn't hard to do but I've done a lot of them.

The Belton 8 pin tube socket is 30mm and the 9 pin I use 18.6

If you use the Greenlee I would punch a test hole on scrap. But it is a radio set you said so maybe?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

wyatt wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 pm
M Fowler wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 pm Wattstubeaudio has blank 17.5x8x2.5 or 20x8x2.5 that I use a lot.

Mark
I think I found another possible solution here, would save me some time with the nibbler to get an IEC and PT knocked out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Amp-Chas ... SwZVlXvF8E

I could borrow a drill press for the rest, and I have Greenlee radio socket punches.
I've ordered a chassis from this guy and it worked great. Used for my liverpool build.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm That chassis would work.

The IEC isn't hard to do but I've done a lot of them.

The Belton 8 pin tube socket is 30mm and the 9 pin I use 18.6

If you use the Greenlee I would punch a test hole on scrap. But it is a radio set you said so maybe?
You could find punch for the IEC, quite expensive but very useful.
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 pm If you use the Greenlee I would punch a test hole on scrap. But it is a radio set you said so maybe?
Yeah, I have a collection of the old Radio Tube punches, they are true to size (unlike the conduit punches)
  • 1 3/16" radio punch works perfectly for Belton and most NOS octal sockets, but I have 1 1/8" and 1/16" as well
  • 3/4" works for every noval socket I'm needed.
  • 1/2” comes in handy for switches, fuses holders, etc.