AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by Colossal »

Guy77 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 pm I believe it is a Tone stack Boost. Sending less of the Tone stack to ground and so boosting your volume slightly and increasing the Mids and bass.
I say this because many people that use it say it is less effective if your tone knobs are all maxed out but more effective if they are dialed back.
I am sure others with more knowledgeable will chime in.
Cheers
Interesting. Thanks a lot Guy!
rccolgan

Post by rccolgan »

galtjunk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:10 pm I cant find a 213k 1 or 1/watt resistor. V1 pin 7.
Mouser has rn60c and rn70c 1/8 watt but they are out of stock. 7 weeks till restock.
Can I just use a 1w 220k or an RN65c 221?
Is the 1k5 resistor on the bass pot an rn65c or a carbon film?

I can not find 6PS caps in .047,.0047,.001.
I will be using .05 for .047
.005 for .0047
.0012 for .001
.02 for .022.
Will this make much of a difference? Or should I try to find the called for values?
I get my 6ps caps from Cedist.com. Is there a better source?
The 1.5k on the bass pot is a Dale CMF60. The 213k is an exact reading for a 220k resistor so you're looking for a 220k resistor there. I prefer 1W carbon film 500v rated for that resistor per original but that can be changed depending on what you're looking for. Another thing to look for is a high measured treble pot around 262k or so from a 250k pot. I ordered 10x pots just to find one that was higher than the others. (Measure the outer two leads). This will adjust where "noon" is on the knob.

Don't stress too much about the Orange drop series values. I've had plenty of .05 6PS that seem to always measure closer to .047uf for some reason so I'd say they are interchangeable. The key is that they are polyester 400v or 600v rated (600v rated for .1uF PI section absolutely) I get my 6PS and 225 series caps from Mouser and AmplifiedParts.com.
Ryan
https://www.thetonegeek.com/
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

Or you can scrap the track of a lower value pot to go up in value ;)

Thanks for the tips !
ibanezgrind

Post by ibanezgrind »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but a long time fan of this forum. I want to thank you Taylor for your Wonderland layout you provided on the first page. My amp building skills have gotten so much better so I decided to do something different so I said, "why not? It's John's tone!" The build went extremely well, mainly because I took my time. I think I found it more difficult to get the chassis modified for the controls to fit and have the huge OT mounted correctly in the best place. My OT is the Vibroverb with extra iron SRV style. I have my PT that puts out 380-0-380 for the secondary and when rectified off of standby and biased at around 33mA, I get about 475V. I might use the zener diode method to drop some voltage but in any case, got it working on the first try and sounds GREAT! I can't say thank you enough to Taylor, and everyone else on here that asked questions and got the answers I needed to make this possible. The rest was my creativity to make it happen. Just wanted to share the outcome with you all!

Best regards,
Miguel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Nice build Miguel!
samrock55

Post by samrock55 »

So this does have an overdrive in it?? What type of components carbon film or metal film resistors? Cap choices? Reverb pan typical fender twin style? I see it does not have channel switching? It would be cool if it had channel switching might give this one a build. The tone is amazing Taylor you did a great job on this one! I appreciate your replies my friend!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

ibanezgrind wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm Hi Everyone,

This is my first post but a long time fan of this forum. I want to thank you Taylor for your Wonderland layout you provided on the first page. My amp building skills have gotten so much better so I decided to do something different so I said, "why not? It's John's tone!" The build went extremely well, mainly because I took my time. I think I found it more difficult to get the chassis modified for the controls to fit and have the huge OT mounted correctly in the best place. My OT is the Vibroverb with extra iron SRV style. I have my PT that puts out 380-0-380 for the secondary and when rectified off of standby and biased at around 33mA, I get about 475V. I might use the zener diode method to drop some voltage but in any case, got it working on the first try and sounds GREAT! I can't say thank you enough to Taylor, and everyone else on here that asked questions and got the answers I needed to make this possible. The rest was my creativity to make it happen. Just wanted to share the outcome with you all!

Best regards,
Miguel
Looks great! Glad you enjoyed the build!!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

Good afternoon all!

I'm in the middle of completing a Wonderland amp ( Thanks a lot Amplifiednation!!) and I need to choose the power transformer. I never had the opportunity to give a try to the original two rock amp, so I would like to ask for your opinion.
I already have in house a twin style iron, i.e. 320 V ac secondary, and another couple ones of 340 V and 360V ( soldano style) transformers.
I know that the original AN layout calls for the 320 V one, but I would like to understand from those who have experienced the build, whether it's necessary to stick to the original supply, or if it's a good idea to go towards the higher voltage solutions, due to the fact that higher supply could also mean higher dynamic range ( that I like very much).
Also, I'm considering the fact that reading over here, seems that this amp sounds and feel not like as a 100 watter, but much more "gentle". So upping the supply voltage too much could lead to a stiffer amp that probably will be not so pleasant to play with.
So please, give me your point of view before I will make the hole for the transformer in the chassis, as all of the above-mentioned irons have different dimensions.
Thanks in advance.

Paolo
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
ibanezgrind

Post by ibanezgrind »

Hi Paolo,

I can share what I have experienced since I just finished mine. I build a 50 Watt version with 2 X 6L6. Mine had higher than normal AC secondaries by design (380-0-380). I knew that going in this build so I was prepared to lower the B+ by using zener diodes. In fact, that's what I did. I used 6-5watt @ 4.7volts each in series. Before the mod my B+ was 475 at the plates with my TAD 6L6GC-STR. After adding the diodes and biasing it around the 30-33ma range, it was sitting at 460 at the plates. I chose 460Volts since the OT was a Mercury Magnetics Vibroverb with extra iron. I was only trying to stay within those specs and used a 2 amp slo-blow fuse to not complecate things. I am assuming you are building the 4 X 6L6 version so adding more voltage to 4 power tubes as oppose to my 2 could make more of a difference. Honestly, the design is soild as Taylor mentioned and even at my higher voltage for 2 power tubes, I think the amp will sound better with 4 power tubes with normal voltages.

Just like everyone says, the reverb circuit does suck a lot of volume out - even with my 6L6's at 475 volts on their plates. I did keep the 2 X 220uf 300V main filter caps in for the 50watt version and it still sounds like Mayer's amp and not sounding stiff, but that's just me and my ears! I changed the 68K voltage divider resistor, where the other side of it is grounded (I am refering to the 68K resistor that meets the 1Meg resistor) that loads the signal down. I hope I explaned that clearly - its a well known mod to increase the signal for more volume. Just change that 68K to 150K as others suggested. Assuming yours is 4 power tubes, it will be naturally louder so the stock 68K might work for you. But yes, there is a difference when you up that resistance there.

Sorry for the novel but I as well want to help others out and take out some of the guess work.

One last thing to mention, keep in mind the speaker situation. The amp will be very boomy with the bass if the wrong speaker is used PLUS not isolating the speakers from the floor which also enhanes the bass. I just figured out last night that it wasn't the amp with the bassy issue, it was the speaker choice and isolating it from the floor. I blame the speaker more but both factors are important. I ended up using one of th best speakers for this amp - Celestion G12-65 in a 2 X12 open back configuration.

Hope this info serves you well and let me know if you have any more questions.

Best regards,
Miguel
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I built my 100w 6L6 version with 512 vDC on the plates :D sounds awesome, better than the original :D

I changed the voltage divider to allow more gain. check my build thread and you'll see what I ended up with.

MC
pamaz67

Post by pamaz67 »

So Guys, many thanks for sharing your experience.
And Norburybrook, I've heard your samples and they sound really nice to my ears. So I think I'll choose the High Voltage choice as it seems that the amp it's not going to be harsh at all. And I'll be using 335 style and archtop too.
Thanks again and once i'll finish my build I will give you back my feelings.

Paolo
Ciao from Italy.
Paolo
jfs322

Post by jfs322 »

I'm curious about the presence cap on the tail resistor. The AN layout shows a 1uf presence cap wired with the tail resistor, but the attached gutshot of a real Two-Rock JM Sig doesn't show a presence cap in that position. Anyone know what explains the discrepancy? Is this a tweak that AN made not intending to be 100% accurate to the JM circuit? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

jfs322 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:21 am I'm curious about the presence cap on the tail resistor. The AN layout shows a 1uf presence cap wired with the tail resistor, but the attached gutshot of a real Two-Rock JM Sig doesn't show a presence cap in that position. Anyone know what explains the discrepancy? Is this a tweak that AN made not intending to be 100% accurate to the JM circuit? Thanks!
With a little imagination there is a whole world under the board.

Erwin
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

hi Erwin,

I want to build a JM / Wonderland amplifier, can you sell me a chassis and boards?

If you can write me in a PM how much I have to send you including shipping to Italy.

Thank you

Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hello to all,

here are the motherboards of the wondwerland special that I am building, special in the sense that I would also like to insert a FET card with footswitch to also have a bit of overdrive that I lack in previous realizations of this type. What do you think? :?:

I bought the boards from Erwin_ve, you can use them in different Dumble projects and are very well done. :D

For the choice of components I followed Colgan's suggestions regarding the reverb mixer resistor, while to find the orientation of the 6PS capacitors I paralleled them with a power cable of a pedal board and used a multimeter in the VCA position to measure which of the two terminals connected to the negative of the instrument gives the lower value by considering this as the at the output terminal of the capacitor.

Un abbraccio

Franco
franco mezzalira