AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by dorrisant »

M Fowler wrote:I don't fuss over component brands or types when I build, I use what I have or what I like to source.

Build a new amp using what you have including new manufactured vacuum tubes then tune the amp until it sounds great.

If you only want one clone of a Trainwreck Express then yes go for it spend the time and money to clone exactly. If you only want one Dumble exact clone go for it.

I build way too many varieties of circuits to go that deep in cloning and it then ends my fun factor worrying about component brands.

Mark
Amen brother!!
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Can I ask what make are the, CF resistors? I have seen this type a few times before but not found them for sale anywhere
jelle

Post by jelle »

Koa Speer 1/2w carbon film resistors...Mouser.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Are the power supply voltage balance 220K Metal Oxide as well? I had assumed they were metal film but looking at the 2W I have they look too small compared
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Bombacaototal wrote:Are the power supply voltage balance 220K Metal Oxide as well? I had assumed they were metal film but looking at the 2W I have they look too small compared
Yes they are MF, Vishay/BC PR03 series (3 watt), also stocked by Mouser.

TM
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

ToneMerc wrote:
Bombacaototal wrote:Are the power supply voltage balance 220K Metal Oxide as well? I had assumed they were metal film but looking at the 2W I have they look too small compared
Yes they are MF, Vishay/BC PR03 series (3 watt), also stocked by Mouser.

TM
Thanks again
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

jelle wrote:Koa Speer 1/2w carbon film resistors...Mouser.
Thanks Jelle

Strangely enough I have a mouser order on the go and already placed a few values in the basket, I have recently started using the KOA Speer metal film

Cheers
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

I did a rough schematic which is basically an edit on the aaron one with AN values

I am not sure it is 100% so check for mistakes

Edit: deleted
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I've just ordered a chassis and boards from taylor(Amplified Nation)

This is going to be my next build :D

M
larsvictor

Post by larsvictor »

@Bombacaototal

I´m shure you don´t want to short your speaker output... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

larsvictor wrote:@Bombacaototal

I´m shure you don´t want to short your speaker output... :D
Thanks for the feedback
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Very interesting read about the evolution of JM amps from Chad

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 610/page-6
Hello all,

This has been a good read and I've been asked to clear some things up by a good member of the page. I'll try and keep in short.

I'll start by explaining the timeline of things.
1- John starts using a Custom Reverb. Somewhere in early 2005
2- John start working with Bill and the Mullholland Dr. amp is born. They took the lead channel out of the CR, added a more complex reverb with added depth discarded the active loop and changed the overall feel of the amp. The Part layout at the time was tweaked and current parts were used. This was the original Signature.
3- John and Two-Rock come out with the signature model. 2006. Same circuit as the Mullholland amp. These were all signed by john and used no NOS parts. There were amps built outside of the release numbers. A few were for John and used some NOS and one that Bill built using NOS.
4- After the success of the sig and the demand for that amp the Classic Reverb was born. This basic circuit of the amp is identical to the sig but now there are added controls and features. Feedback options, FET input stage, tone boosts. All these things impact the overall source signal and although the two amps are similar they have some sonic differences.
5- Crystal. After years of getting requests for custom shop Mayer sigs we deceided that we needed to just offer the same circuit. At this point we had learned some things with parts and layout and trying to recreate an amp that was almost 10 years old is hard. They age and get a life of their own. SO using a Sig we tweaked the build until they were real close to each other. Mind you it is the same exact circuit as the Sig. However we do use some different types of parts as the ones that were sourced for the SIG are no longer available. Also the lower wattages use different output transformers and changes the the basic fundamentals of the amp. Ideally a 100 watt crystal is the only amp that is close to the Signature.

I think I covered the basics there. To answer some of the questions I read in the thread.

- In a blind taste test a 100 Watt Sig and 100 Watt Crystal are going to sound a bit different. This really boils down to age and tolerances. However this could be said comparing two sigs to each other. And mind you this is moving in some very grey area of different. I can get most of our amps to fall in line with each other on some level.

-Did Mayer get his amps modded to Crystals. NO. The Signatures he owns and play have never been modded. However he did ask for a second rig built awhile back. These were somewhat of a test bed for the new layout and part use that became the Crystal. John got the amps and they fell right in line with what he wanted.

-Some questions about the Coral. This amp really is a different beast. But like I mentioned before, I can get to the same space with these amps. The amp has some more options and the way the signal is routed is different. The overall B+ on the amp is hotter making the amp more punchy. Also different style output trannies adds to a different fundamental.

-Questions about Headroom. This is a bit tricky. More wattage more headroom. But a lot can depend on room, guitar, playing style. Taking the same 100 watt amp across the Sig, Crystal, Coral- They all are going to have about the same amount of headroom at a given level of gain and volume.

-What amp is darker. Well the sigs had a darkness to them in some regards. The sig really fit with Johns setup, guitar, speakers, board. The new amps are brighter and from a design stand point makes sense as its easier to make an amp dark versus making it bright.

I'm sure to get a lot of response and I have to admit I'm a bit bad about logging on here these days. If you guys have specific questions please feel free to call or email me. I'll get back to you pretty quickly. I'll try and log on in the next day or so to check on the thread as well.

Thanks.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... 610/page-7

After Bill and I had worked on the originals replacements for Mayer we had some discussion with him about his current speakers. He had mentioned that he was pretty happy with the Gold. We then had built him a special little combo that we put a gold in. We were both really happy with the way it sounded and John really liked it. When we started building the Crystal Proto we had another Gold in the shop. I had redesigned the combo and baffle and we decided to try out the gold. Now I've never been a huge Alnico fan but with the low wattage Crystal the thing just had this nice warm tone that we both really liked. So ideally the 22 and 40 6v6 based amps sound great with the gold. When it came to the 6l6 based amps I think both Bill and I liked the g12-65 but sales didn't like the idea of having two different cabs to go with different wattages. So we just went with the gold. I try and tell guys that if they are getting anything over the 40 watt version that they should go with ceramics. UNLESS.... they like the break up and "thing" that the alnico does when it breaks up.
Another factor is when the speaker is new it is a bit bright and fragile. Once they get hit for about 40-50 hours they start to loosen up and a nice sweetness comes out. Again speakers are subjective and its hard to really say one is right or wrong.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Just a bit more of useful info
His 1st set of signatures were signed in Red, and are identical to the ones from AN I would assume
The 2nd batch which are the test bed for the crystal are signed in Gold and were used more recently (from Born & Raised tour)

It now makes me wonder if the gut shot that was around signed feb or nov 2009 is a proto for the 2nd batch?
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Here the Crystal

Contour is 0.0047 similar to the one from Taylor

PI trim looks like 100k/110k more like the 2009 proto

Tonestack looks slightly different on the treble: .01 with 3300pf instead of .001 with 330pf

Slope is same = 100k

Loads are 100k and cathode for tonestack 5uf/1.5k

There is a 10uF on the PI, or is it .1uF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bombacaototal on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

And some more