norburybrook

Re: AN Wonderland/JM 100w layout

Post by norburybrook »

where's the heater wiring?

M
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Sorry but If your wondering about the heater wiring I do wonder if you should be building valve amplifiers
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

lovetone wrote:Sorry but If your wondering about the heater wiring I do wonder if you should be building valve amplifiers

thanks...really nice comment...very encouraging.......you arrogant sod...

I'm sure I could make similar statements about areas of your life I'm more competent than you........we all have to start somewhere......

I've got gold records on my wall , spend my time with some of the famous people talked about on these forums but I'm more than happy to help those who are beginners without any condescension

so as Dumble type amps usually have elevated fender style heater wiring...where is it on that picture???

if it's done Marshall or trainwreck style then you can't see it....

how does that call into question my ability to make an amplifier????????

do you know what? I may not be technically as proficient as you but I've recently had;

Eric Clapton's guitar player, John Mayer's guitar player, Paul McCartney guitar player play my #102 and fall in love with it.....so proficient or not the end justifies the means and a great sounding amp is a great sounding amp period regardless of who build it!!

Marcus
Last edited by norburybrook on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wyatt

Post by wyatt »

Heater wiring is usually assumed in layouts, it keeps it cleaner and easier to read. The builder/laborer already knows the heater wiring has to go in, and each builder/company usually has their preference for how to do it.

Up and over; tucked against the back of the chassis; parallel buss; elevated voltage; DC heaters; etc....plenty of good ways to skin the cat
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

wyatt wrote:Heater wiring is usually assumed in layouts, it keeps it cleaner and easier to read. The builder/laborer already knows the heater wiring has to go in, and each builder/company usually has their preference for how to do it.
of course , but I assumed this was a gut shot of a finished dumble/fender amp, the john mayer sig which would have elevated heater wiring and I couldn't see it, hence my question.

I have successfully,(with the help of the less condescending here) built 5 fully functional and amazing sounding amplifiers so far. I haven't blown anything up, I haven't caused myself or others any harm, I am aware of the safety required when doing this and take it seriously. I am here to learn.
If it is a forum for professionals only then it should be made clear that students aren't welcome!!

Marcus
Last edited by norburybrook on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Marcus, I knew the exact context in which you posed the question. At first quick glance I asked myself the same thing, then assumed it was an unfinished piece with the filament wiring stage to be completed last. Everyone has their own signature, I prefer to wire heaters first.

TM
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks TM.

I'm a student at this, and as I said I'm very successful in my career as a musician/producer but I'm humble enough I hope to ask stupid questions and admit doing stupid things in an area I'm not so proficient at, it has no bearing on who I am.

How else would anyone learn..

M
bal704

Post by bal704 »

Keep asking the questions. I still ask 'stupid' questions on this forum a bunch, and usually get helpful answers.

Don't let the occassional person discourage you from asking here...this is the best forum on the web for help with tube amps.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

TR tucked them against the back wall, I fly them Fender style over the sockets. I didn't add them to the layout because they are the same connections in every amp.

I add them at the very end, no sense in having them in the way. I also wait as long as possible before adding transformers. No sense in having that extra weight.

Also if you don't use Teflon wire and you wire your heaters first you will have to be very careful not to burn the insulation while you are doing other wiring.

Heres a couple pics of my heater wiring in a recent build.

[IMG:4032:3024]http://i.imgur.com/3pjVeKF.jpg[/img]
[IMG:4032:3024]http://i.imgur.com/JcBYWnJ.jpg[/img]
[IMG:4032:3024]http://i.imgur.com/f7xs7Ls.jpg[/img]
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
rogb

Post by rogb »

lovetone wrote:Sorry but If your wondering about the heater wiring I do wonder if you should be building valve amplifiers
Sorry I was wondering if you could show a little respect to a forum member?
I see you have asked plenty of questions on here and not been answered like that?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

amplifiednation wrote:TR tucked them against the back wall, I fly them Fender style over the sockets. I didn't add them to the layout because they are the same connections in every amp.

I add them at the very end, no sense in having them in the way. I also wait as long as possible before adding transformers. No sense in having that extra weight.

Also if you don't use Teflon wire and you wire your heaters first you will have to be very careful not to burn the insulation while you are doing other wiring.

Heres a couple pics of my heater wiring in a recent build.

Taylor thanks, I'm perfectly aware that heaters are not put on layouts, I was just commenting on the photo as you can't actually see the wires so it was the first thing that jumped out :D

Its interesting that TR don't do fender/Dumble style elevated wiring and use Marshall/Train wreck style.

Also I tend to use a heavier gauge of wire for heaters due to the higher current draw, and stranded rather than solid too as I have the nagging feeling twisting solid could break it.

I do exactly as you do when building...heaters last..and transformers as far in as possible too.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of your chassis and boards :D

Marcus
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I use 18g for power heaters and 20g for preamp heaters. I only use stranded wire in my builds. 22g for everything else unless it's footswitch then I use 24g

Tinning the wire every single connection is a pain but I'm so used to it it doesn't even matter anymore.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I wire the heaters last so they are not in my way for other tube socket connections.

Just looked at a bunch of Two Rock gut shots and they all show the heater wires pushed to the back of the chassis like Marshall does.

I do not enjoy layouts that show the heater wiring because it gets way too busy looking.

Mark
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Personally I hate wiring heaters. I have always done it first to get it over with. Tuck or fly - don't have a preference.
On my latest build I've left the heaters till last. Sure enough I avoided finishing it up today...
My dumb question for today.
I get that twisting heater wires together has a cancelling effect on the hum inducing field around them, but it uses a longer length of wire to achieve the inter-connections. Is it really of that much benefit?
Maybe I shouldn't be building tube amps either.
:shock:
Why Aye Man
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm the same as Bob. I hate heater wires, especially after spending all that time building an wiring an amp. Prefer just to get them over and done with.
I tuck my wires but run them parallel, no twist. Use bits of heat shrink to keep them neat.
Aaron