2nd Gen hybrid

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jazzbass

Re: 2nd Gen hybrid

Post by jazzbass »

Thanks Martin, thanks Erwin,

I understood correctly and what you write to me now confirms it. Construction is in its infancy and I wanted to be sure I understood what you wrote.

Thanks, Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi,

work progress in the construction of the 2nd Gen Hybrid.
A lot of work has been done but a lot is still missing. Before applying the changes suggested by Erwin_ve I would like to try to listen to the result that I can get with the scheme put on TAG by Jason Borders and then .....
If you notice any errors on the work I have already done please report them to me. :D

Thanks
Franco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
franco mezzalira
dr335

Post by dr335 »

Hi!

After building a number of tube amps (Fender, Marshall, Supro, Magnatone, ...), it was time for a Dumble clone! I liked the idea of a 2nd Gen Hybrid as discussed in this thread. Via via I received excellent boards made by Erwin and the build turned out really smooth. I have built a 50 Watt version with minor tweaks compared to the schematics around here. I thought it's a good idea to post some pics and the schematic I used here. If you have any questions/remarks please tell!

Regards,
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Dr335,

God bless you, finally a bug-corrected layout of the only layout found in TAG. :D

After a long gestation today I finished the 2nd Generation Hybrid version with the Dumblator on board (which I think I will remove).

Now I will correct the errors and then insert the photos on TAG. P.S. I also have to check the FET card as it doesn't seem to work.

Un abbraccio, Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi Dr335,

now I have to solve a big problem, having a chassis with four holes for the pre valves I decided to insert a Dumblator on board following the Normster scheme/ layout which however does not have the 2nd Gen Hybrid scheme as a basis. Basically now only the send side works but the return side doesn't work. The amp works with both the V3 tube inserted and removed from the circuit, of course it changes the sound and also appears the gain when the tube is in the socket. All components are soldered directly onto the valve socket and I use as send / return potentiometers with pusch / pull. I had to turn the cliff jacks 90 ° and I think I connected the return wrong ....
Do you have any suggestions?

A hug, Franco
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi everyone,

finally, after building the dumblator by connecting the components directly to the socket and listening to the result, I decided to terminate the amplifier without this option. I had followed the Normster layout and once I finished the connections the send worked the return didn't work. The clean sound was very good and I didn't find the time to try the OD as well. After several fruitless searches I decided to uninstall the components and terminate the amplifier without the Dumblator.
The results: the OD is excellent, the FET is perfect, the PAB very useful, the clean beautiful but not as good as with the Dumblator that worked halfway. This reminds me of having read on TAG that some amps were built with half a Dumblator. Are there any articles and diagrams that describe what "Half Dumblator" is and how it can change the sound?
Thanks for your help.

Franco
P.S. here are some photos of the finished amp (for now, before any other changes) with the headshell under construction.
franco mezzalira
jazzbass

Post by jazzbass »

Hi everybody

I have finished the construction of the 2nd gen hybrid, all I need is the pedal with three switches and the corners for the head shell. Speaking of the pedal, I ask you for help, who can suggest a suitable switch box?
I'm still looking for news on the possibility of inserting in the empty socket a variant of the Dumblator, the Half Dumblator of which I have read some small news on TAG, how does it change the sound of the amp? where can i read full news? in the end I chose to connect to the FET as done in Jason Border's layout because it is the simplest to make, I also left the two .022uf and 2200 pf capacitors on the bass potentiometer because the solution with the 2200 pf alone gave me a too sterile sound with the reference guitar (PRS Silver Sky). Very interesting is the circuitry of the Rock / Jazz On-Off-On switch which activates the PAB in the central position. Also the "Bright" switch is On-Off-On with capacitors 100 pf-0-220 pf because the 500 pf suggested by Jason Borders gave an exaggerated clean.

Thanks to everyone for the help you have given me and especially erwin_ve who intrigued me and helped me a lot.
The sound is splendid to say the least, a credible and authoritative clean, an OD perfectly suited to single coil guitars. It is truly a "Swiss Army Knife" that adapts to any situation.

I am ashamed to insert some sound examples because I am really poor as a guitarist compared to the average of all of you :D but soon I will try to make a clip.

Un abbraccio, Franco
franco mezzalira
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Hi Franco,

What a nice looking amp! Your skills on woodwork and tolex are superb.
The footswitch: get a https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/triple ... -cord?c=74 or similar.
Ditch the attached cord and replace it with a midi cable. That way you can independently feed the power for the led and switch possibilities.

Half of the dumblelator: this is done on a two-rock custom reverb. The schematic is easy to find using the search. Basically it is the recovery side of the dumblelator. But take a good look at the recovery of the dumblelator in the files section and then compare it with the recovery of the TR custom reverb.
The Lnfb is attached different and should emphasize the upper frequency more. This is also recently discussed by Martin Manning.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ry#p440260

Erwin