Wonderland/JM100 build

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Wonderland/JM100 build

Post by norburybrook »

Didn't think I'd be starting a new build so quickly but there you go.

So, Chassis and boards arrived safe and sound today from taylor. Beautiful chassis and boards they are too.

I'm gathering parts at the moment and I'm going to be using the Peavey triumph 120w combo as my donor for;

PT, OT, reverb T , reverb pan and anything else I can salvage that will be serviceable.

with that in mind, and as I'm putting an order in to Tube town. Can anyone give me ball park figures on what value dropping string resistors to get for the power board as I'm going to be having ~500vDc coming in rather than the regular ~450 from the twin PT?

the twin uses 2k2,22k,2k2 and 10k for the reverb

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: Wonderland/JM100 build

Post by Colossal »

Very nice! Pulling up a chair...
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

LOL..hope you've got plenty of popcorn.....it may be a while :D

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Increase the first 2k2 to 5k6 or 6k8 and the preamp and PI voltages should be restored to normal.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote:Increase the first 2k2 to 5k6 or 6k8 and the preamp and PI voltages should be restored to normal.

Boom!

There you go :D

thanks Martin......those beers that I owe you are mounting up now :D

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

A hand-pulled pint of Landlord would really hit the spot...
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

...the amp bugs bites
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

finally got my donor peavey triumph home. So I 've taken it apart today, my god it was heavy for a small combo, must be made from black holes!

First thing I thought was it's actually very well made. Cab is all birch ply, all USA switchraft jacks , acusonic reverb tank, meaty USA made transformers by the 'Basler electronics company' ...no idea who they are.

Is it worth using the old jacks? they seem in good condition, they're 80's USA switchcrafts, are they better than the new ones? is anything else worth salvaging from the amp component wise, everything looks good inside, no bulging caps, fried resistors etc, and I presume it's leaded solder so parts would be easy to remove from the boards. I've no idea if things were made better in the old days and if they have 'mojo' so forgive me if it's a stupid question to reuse components.

Now the transformers are both stand up but I presume...there's that word again.....that it doesn't make any difference how a transformer is mounted so I can just re drill a few holes and mount it over the hole.

this is quite exiting as I've never had to think outside the box before so using a non specific donor amp will be interesting as a build.

Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Hi Marcus,
Salvaging parts is ok. From a classic vt there were more parts usuable to me than a fe. a Mace. So it depends on what is used.
Jacks are ok!
Resistors for the "totem" (1st node filtering) depends; some are Carbon comps; they tend to drift(dont use imo). Some where nice 3w carbon films(very useable). Ceramic disks were fine(used them for rectifier filter and anti-popping relay switch).
Electrolytics; dont use them. It s good stuff they used but by now too old.
Salvage wire, tube sockets, terminal strips!
Salvaging also depends on the lenght of the leads, some were just to short.
Hope this helps, enjoy the build!

Erwin
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

quick question about transformer positions. what's the best position to mount mains and OT on this chassis? my transformers are both 'on top' so I can mount them more or less anywhere.

I could put them at either ends of the chassis to keep them apart, or put them in the traditional 'dumble' way .

here's a pic of how I'm thinking of putting them, with the choke in the middle.

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Should be fine, but you can always connect power to the PT primary (separate and cover all the other leads) and listen to or measure VAC on the OT secondary. Should be a few mV at most. The choke may help shield the OT from the PT.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks Martin, I was wondering if I should put the OT on the far end of the chassis like I've seen on some other manufacturers amps, it would then be physically as far away as possible. The only downside I could see would be longer cable runs to the speaker jacks, and the proximity to the input. Maybe that would be the main issue, the low level input signal being close to all that iron. Just thinking out loud here.

thoughts?

Marcus
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

You are right about the large output signals being near the input, but Hiwatt did just that and it seemed to be okay. Balances the chassis nicely too. But I think I'd keep the OT closer to the power tubes.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

will do. Just procrastinating at the moment about what colour to 1; re do my now #102 and 2: the soon(ish) to be wonderland. Suede or tolex, cream...black....so many possibilities.

I'm going to build a matching EVM 12 L ported cab too to go with the #102 so need to make a decision.......last thing on my large order list now from Tube town.

M
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Will the cab be 1X12 or 2X12?