JM Signature started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

norburybrook

Re: JM Signature started

Post by norburybrook »

really nice build :D

quick question looking at your build; I've taken the transformers from my donor amp; namely an 80's 100w peavey. It has a USA made acusonics reverb tank which I presume will be a great reverb. I notice than my reverb transformer from the Peavey is a lot smaller than the one you're using here.

Am I going to be able to use the peavey reverb Transformer in my build, or is there something about this build that requires a different transformer?

Sorry to hijack the thread, I can move to my thread if needed.

Marcus
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

You're not hijacking the thread at all, but I don't have an answer for you. The reverb transformer is the one used on most Fender amps. Magnetic Components 40-18034. You can get the specs here... http://www.classictone.net/40-18034.html , and see how they match up with what you have. This amp has a ton of reverb. I have the send and return turned up between 1 and 2. Anything over that is swampland.

Bombacaototal... I think the Schumacher is playing a big roll. Aaron tells me it is 60 watts. Even better!
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Looks gorgeous! I bet it sounds fantastic! I'm trying to decide what to build next, I may have to look at something like this!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Seriously beautiful build, I wish I had the dexterity and patience to make them look that nice, mine are always just a touch 'off' looking :P

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nice nice nice. You know you did it right if the chassis is full of components!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Almost done.
I need to color and finish the front panel, make a second tweed back panel to close it up some more, and try out one more reverb pan. The reverb pan in use is an 8AB2A1B. I have some of the larger size with long decay that I tried but this thing has a ton of reverb on tap and the long decay is too much for my taste. I think the larger 3 spring with medium decay ( 9AB2C1B) may be the ticket.

Tweed applied with hide glue, then painted with a mixture of Colortone Dyes and thinned Bullseye shellac. Went for the "aged" look.

I sprung for a Celestion Gold, and am very happy I did, as this was the frosting on the cake.
I tried an EV12L, which is great on the other Dumble style builds, but not as good as the Gold in this combo. Surprisingly, I tried a G12-65, which has always sounded anemic to me in the other Dumbles, but was pretty nice in the Signature.
The Swamp Thang has worked well in other D Styles, but I didn't have one on hand.
Then I tried a Celestion Blue, for the hell of it, and was impressed enough to buy a Gold. The Gold is the ticket.

The amp weighs in at 45 LBS, which is manageable for a "grab and go", and for what I do, it's the end of the tone quest, at least for a while, as it has everything I've been looking for. Really fine sounding circuit with the tele and the LP.
JM Signature Tweed.jpg
JM Signature Back Tweed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Very nicely done, I always like your cabinets very tasteful relics.

Mark
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Looks awesome! A Tweed Bassman-type upper panel with two oval cutouts for the tubes would be just the thing, I think.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Thanks Mark, and as always, many thanks to all who work on developing and troubleshooting these projects.
I will check out the Bassman panel!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

very nice indeed :D

I love my Wonderland it's a great amp.

Marcus
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Looks really nice! Congrats

I've been wondering if my next built should be a 50W Mayer or a 50W SSS Hartman derivate

Any views?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I'm not sure a 50w wonderland or SSS would be loud enough for a gig with a loud drummer if you weren't mic'd up. They're quiet amps compared to say a Marshall/Trainwreck or Dumble Bluesmaster :D

I love my wonderland but it's 100w and I've changed the 1M voltage divider to give more gain and it's not as loud as my 50w Bluesmaster.

For home or small gig/studio use it would be perfect.

i'd go 100w everytime with these circuits if I were gigging regularly with a band at reasonable size venues.

M
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:16 am I'm not sure a 50w wonderland or SSS would be loud enough for a gig with a loud drummer if you weren't mic'd up. They're quiet amps compared to say a Marshall/Trainwreck or Dumble Bluesmaster :D

I love my wonderland but it's 100w and I've changed the 1M voltage divider to give more gain and it's not as loud as my 50w Bluesmaster.

For home or small gig/studio use it would be perfect.

i'd go 100w everytime with these circuits if I were gigging regularly with a band at reasonable size venues.

M
Thanks for the suggestion.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I haven't dimed this thing yet, but as Noryburybrook noted, it's loud enough for smaller venues. It's louder than a Deluxe Reverb, but not by a ton.

I wouldn't consider it a big stage rock amp, or for power trios or the like (my opinion), but would work well in many many other ensemble situations, drummer included. Fantastic for studio and home.

I have been playing through it for a couple of months and haven't even tried any pedals yet. Just plugged straight in, as the tone is so satisfying. I would recommend this amp if you like luscious clean tones, with some meat if you turn it up. You of course need to love reverb as that is what this amp is about. 3 tubes worth. It's a time consuming build, up there with an ODS. The Small Special is a much simpler amp with great cleans if you want to whip up something quickly, without tube reverb. I remember more volume from the Small Specials I've built, but I prefer the tone of the JM Sig.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telentubes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm I haven't dimed this thing yet, but as Noryburybrook noted, it's loud enough for smaller venues. It's louder than a Deluxe Reverb, but not by a ton.

I wouldn't consider it a big stage rock amp, or for power trios or the like (my opinion), but would work well in many many other ensemble situations, drummer included. Fantastic for studio and home.

I have been playing through it for a couple of months and haven't even tried any pedals yet. Just plugged straight in, as the tone is so satisfying. I would recommend this amp if you like luscious clean tones, with some meat if you turn it up. You of course need to love reverb as that is what this amp is about. 3 tubes worth. It's a time consuming build, up there with an ODS. The Small Special is a much simpler amp with great cleans if you want to whip up something quickly, without tube reverb. I remember more volume from the Small Specials I've built, but I prefer the tone of the JM Sig.
yes would agree with all that. did you put the local and global negative feedback on switches? having both of those OFF makes a big difference, the amp suddenly gets a bit of attitude :D

it is a luscious clean, reverby amp though with the NFB ON

I've been enjoying playing my gold foil equipped strat with 12-52 flatwounds on through it, it's proper old school soul/funk :D

M