JM Signature started

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

telentubes

Re: JM Signature started

Post by telentubes »

I've been running it with the feedback switched off, as well as the mid boost, and the other front panel switch, off. I have an on/off/on bright switch so I have two bright choices, which is also in the off/mid position. So, everything "off", is my preferred tone. Could of saved some time omitting those 4 switches, but who knew?
stelligan

Post by stelligan »

Nice looking amp! I am a sucker for tweed. Glad it is sounding good for you.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

telentubes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:31 pm I haven't dimed this thing yet, but as Noryburybrook noted, it's loud enough for smaller venues. It's louder than a Deluxe Reverb, but not by a ton.

I wouldn't consider it a big stage rock amp, or for power trios or the like (my opinion), but would work well in many many other ensemble situations, drummer included. Fantastic for studio and home.

I have been playing through it for a couple of months and haven't even tried any pedals yet. Just plugged straight in, as the tone is so satisfying. I would recommend this amp if you like luscious clean tones, with some meat if you turn it up. You of course need to love reverb as that is what this amp is about. 3 tubes worth. It's a time consuming build, up there with an ODS. The Small Special is a much simpler amp with great cleans if you want to whip up something quickly, without tube reverb. I remember more volume from the Small Specials I've built, but I prefer the tone of the JM Sig.
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually considering running a dual amp set up with the #124 (plus fender reverb) I am working on which is 25W and a 50W Mayer or SSS. I am tempted in having a go at the Mayer after all te comments I've seen on this amp, but the PI of the SSS somehow intrigues me
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Sounds like great projects. Keep us posted.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

if I were building a 25w/50w I'd ditch the master volume, it's not actually a master volume in this circuit it's a FX return level so needs to be set at 100% to deliver the full signal to the output.

Marcus