[Question] ODS with Fender Reverb

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

[Question] ODS with Fender Reverb

Post by Bombacaototal »

I've seen ODS builts with the Normster style reverb and with a princeton AA1164 style reverb (both attached)

Just wondering if anyone ever tried a blackface AB763 style reverb (ie Twin, DR) on a ODS type built

One thing that always puzzled me on the Normster verb is how does it not go into some oscillation issues with such a small resistor (100k) mixing the wet/dry signals
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10thTx

Re: [Question] ODS with Fender Reverb

Post by 10thTx »

One thing that always puzzled me on the Normster verb is how does it not go into some oscillation issues with such a small resistor (100k) mixing the wet/dry signals
"

Look at the size of the reverb pot 2.2M using a 100k mixing resistor instead of the Fender 100k using a 3.3M (or 2.2M) mixing resistor.

with respect, 10thtx
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

10thTx wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm
"

Look at the size of the reverb pot 2.2M using a 100k mixing resistor instead of the Fender 100k using a 3.3M (or 2.2M) mixing resistor.

with respect, 10thtx
Thanks a lot for the reply

What intrigues me is that the reverb pot does not have a resistor to set a minimum setting so when you dial it wide open (maximum) there is almost all the reverb signal through. I just don't understand how such a small 100k resistor can do the job of previous 3.3M in this instances
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Bombacaototal wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:46 am
10thTx wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm
"

with respect, 10thtx
Thanks a lot for the reply

What intrigues me is that the reverb pot does not have a resistor to set a minimum setting so when you dial it wide open (maximum) there is almost all the reverb signal through. I just don't understand how such a small 100k resistor can do the job of previous 3.3M in this instances
My quick guess is the single tube reverb has a lot less signal strength than others. I believe 10thtx has created one of the best single tube reverbs I've heard, I put one in an amp and didn't do some of those kinds of changes and at max the reverb was still really soft. I've never gone back to tweak it to give it more oompf, but it needs it. I could be confused, and talking out my A#@ though ;)
tUber Nerd!
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hi Bombacaototal. I just saw your post and wanted to let you know I have built an ODS amp with the blackface AB763 reverb .
I love how the amp sounds with this type of reverb. It is a 2 tube reverb with a 12ax7 and a 12at7. I spliceed the reverb circuit into the ODS 124 layout after the overdrive circuit and right before sending the signal to the effects loop. So basically the reverb circuit is right after the Master volume pot. I have a bypass switch so that I can cut the reverb right out of the circuit. I tried many types of mixing resistors and pot values and ended up with a 790K mix resistor and a 250KL Reverb pot. I am using the shorter fender spring reverb pan so if you use a longer pan values may need to be different.

Cheers

Guy
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Guy77 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:52 pm Hi Bombacaototal. I just saw your post and wanted to let you know I have built an ODS amp with the blackface AB763 reverb .
I love how the amp sounds with this type of reverb. It is a 2 tube reverb with a 12ax7 and a 12at7. I spliceed the reverb circuit into the ODS 124 layout after the overdrive circuit and right before sending the signal to the effects loop. So basically the reverb circuit is right after the Master volume pot. I have a bypass switch so that I can cut the reverb right out of the circuit. I tried many types of mixing resistors and pot values and ended up with a 790K mix resistor and a 250KL Reverb pot. I am using the shorter fender spring reverb pan so if you use a longer pan values may need to be different.

Cheers

Guy
Hi Guy, thanks for sharing your experience and details of your built. Mine so far is a #124 with low plate skyliner although I will probably try several variants of this era's high plates and also the classic to be sure I keep my preferred. I don't have the Overdrive channel so the reverb is there instead

Did you add any LNFB on the reverb driver to prevent it from distorting? This can also be handy to tamme the reverb. I want to give this a go with several different values to see what will be the best for my built but still not sure if the best approach is to tamme it a lot on the driver and use a smaller mixing resistor or the other way around
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Hi, I have a LNFB only on the first preamp tube. I never thought of putting that on the reverb driver but sounds like a good idea. I ended up playing with different mixing resistors. I also left the mixing resistor with no cap across it. I believe fender puts a cap on it but I did not like it.

Cheers

Guy.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

For people who people built amps with both (princeton, 1 tube), I am wondering which one achieved best results